Any Pro Wrestling Fans Here? V2.0

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by sirmikael, Apr 28, 2011.

1. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

Bret benefited financially, but WCW was clueless and cooled him off quickly when he came there as the hottest star in wrestling.

2. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Earl could not face Bret. He had sworn to his face on his children that he would have his back. Then he had HIS career put on the line or stab Bret in the back, and leave quickly. I don't think he looked Bret in the eye after the bell. I think Corny regretted ever bringing the old school screw to VKM's attention.
    For some reason I think Vince thought he could reason with Bret and smooth it out. Watching Wrestling With Shadows kind of belies any of it was a work. A work for what?

3. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

Earl Hebner hauled ass out of the ring literally seconds after calling for the ball, almost like a guy who knew he had pulled a fast one and was trying to get out of there before getting caught.

I think it's interesting to wonder what Bret would have done after WCW ended had Goldberg not kicked him in the head and basically ended his career. No way would he and Vince have made up that soon, so does he end up in TNA with Sting?

Stormrider77 and Matthew Tate like this.
  4. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

I laugh at the fact that Hebner is still scared for his life even to this day, when he did the interview for Dark Side Of The Ring he asked to be interviewed at an undisclosed location LOL. If Bret Hart could make up with Shawn Michaels then I'm pretty sure he would accept an apology from Earl if he mustered the courage.

As for Bret if he didn't get injured it's a tough one to answer. TNA would have really been the only choice for another promotion to move to but I still think Bret would have retired in the early 2000's. He definitely would not have gone back to WWE that early, the screw job was still fresh and so was the loss of Owen. I'm honestly surprised he returned when he did knowing the whole Owen situation. But he deserved to be in the WWE Hall Of Fame so it was fitting to have the return happen.

Matthew Tate and blutiga like this.
  5. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

I think he is one of those who keep getting paid by AOL/Time Warner until his contract is up and probably never wrestles again after WCW folds. I think after Montreal, his brother dying and WCW's horrible atmosphere at the time was enough for him.

Matthew Tate and blutiga like this.
  6. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Bray Wyatt released by WWE today.

Matthew Tate and JCRW like this.
  7. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

I guess that's another one that will jump ship over to AEW. No big loss for WWE IMHO, the Toxic Avenger/Fiend schtick has run its course and hopefully Alexa Bliss can walk out the door with him.

8. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

Yep, released. According to Dave Meltzer, WWE Head of Talent Relations John Laurinaitis informed Bray Wyatt that his release today was due to budget cuts. Additionally, Wyatt was reportedly prepping for an August return and was said to have been booked for some shows before this decision was made.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. WWE seems to be dumping contracts. Fueling speculation that a Sale could be in the works.

He’s been responsible for many great things through the years, but I think it’s time for Vince to move on. NXT is good, but RAW & Smackdown just aren’t much fun anymore.

905 and Matthew Tate like this.
  10. noname74

Vince will never leave as long as he’s alive or he sells it off.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

was Vince even on tv as the owner of the company yet?

Vince told bret it would be a double DQ or something and then instead did the screw job

12. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

Yes, a storyline with Jim Ross and Stone Cold outed Mr. McMahon as the owner of the WWE a year prior to the Montreal Screwjob. Bret became more involved and started outing Mr. McMahon and it built to the Survivor Series match with Shawn Michaels. But it was the Montreal Screwjob and the "Bret screwed Bret" interview that solidified his persona and put him on TV almost every week as the owner rather than a commentator.

I think they caught the Vince/Bret pre-match discussion on Wrestling With Shadows. Vince gave Bret his word that the match would end in a DQ and the rest is history.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. Matthew Tate

thank you . couldn't remember the exact timeline it he was revealed as the owner

JCRW likes this.
  14. frozen-beach

frozen-beach Forum Resident

The Fiend never ran it's course because WWE's creative team are garbage and don't know at all how to book anything anymore. The Fiend was the most creative thing the WWE has had in years. And no loss? Say that after seeing the viewership drop when people stop watching as this is the final nail in the coffin for WWE for some people. It's like Vince McMahon wants his company to die.

MikeInFla, JCRW and Matthew Tate like this.
  15. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

I agree that The Fiend character was poorly booked. If you have a character like that they should more or less be portrayed as an unstoppable monster but it seemed like they put Bray in a position of being more of a jobber. I think a win over The Undertaker at Wrestlemania would have given him a much needed career boost and a passing of the torch moment but he was injured at the time. In this case I think McMahon is only partially to blame for all the recent decisions. It sounds like he has given more control over to the shareholders to make financial decisions. The only question that remains is does HHH have to step in like he did for Samoa Joe's release, call it a big mistake and quickly hire Bray back? Viewership has already been dropping and it's the smart fans jumping ship because they are tired of the mind control supernatural garbage that is being pushed by players like Bliss. They think someone like Cena can come back and steer the ship in the right direction but if you view this thread, not a peep discussing his return. The motivation is going AEW's way and if they get one more key name to sign on it is a rocky road for the WWE. Is Wyatt that guy? No, but he can maybe introduce some decent mic skills and potentially good storylines to another promotion.

16. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

I have always liked Cena, but he is an attraction now same as the Rock. How can an extremely part timer steer anything? And a whole bunch of fans can't stand him.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. noname74

I thought so too but most of the people seem to be happy to see him as I don’t hear many Cena Sucks chants. I guess it’s because he is more of a celebrity now than a wrestler…if he stick around the chants would probably start. Love him or hate him though…he knows how to work a crowd.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. Matthew Tate

i can't stand him. he's just an average wrestler at best

JCRW likes this.
  19. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

I liked him as the Prototype. I liked his "Doctor Of Thuganomics" I think they are the best that he was promoted because he had so much input. That all went away when he became JOHN CENA(dah dah dah daaaah). As for his in ring ability I rate it as above average. He came through Corny and Danny Davis's training. And he had been a wrestling fan, which is an important key. It means you already know how its supposed to look.
    I acknowledge that he has been misbooked often(cough cough, Nexus).
    His loss to RVD at One Night Stand is a masterful performance. He played a hostile crowd perfectly.
    First time I saw him I liked him.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. Matthew Tate

he can have great matches like ones against HBK, edge, RVD but as i'm listing these names i think we are seeing a pattern of when these great matches occur

21. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

Yep, the re-living of Hulk Hogan style wrestling. I bailed WWE and wrestling altogether when Cena became the main guy. I don't understand why they are setting him up with Roman Reigns again, didn't he get decimated by him 4 years ago? In fact, when was the last time his character had a significant win? He jobbed to Undertaker and Bray Wyatt... He doesn't seem believable to beat someone like Reigns kayfabe. Maybe Lesner will come out during the match and decimate him one more time and allow Cena to go back to his acting career that he scoffed The Rock for all those years ago.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

More WWE news in the rumor mill... Adam Cole working with no contract. From what I gathered his contact expire( either -s or -d) in August. He has agreed to work through SummerSlam weekend which means he will most likely be doing a rubber match with Kyle O'Reilly at Sunday's Take-Over (Summerslam is on a Saturday Night this year).

Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. Matthew Tate

AEW or back to ROH?

24. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

So much interesting stuff going on with AEW/Impact/NJPW crossover... would be great if he landed in there somewhere... but in AEW he'd be with Britt Baker as well.

MikeInFla and Matthew Tate like this.
  25. Matthew Tate

true forget his woman was in AEW. I miss ROH from 6 years or so ago when they had cole, fish, o'reilly, strong, steen, corino, elgin, eddie edwards, davey richards and a couple of other guys

SoCalWJS likes this.