Any Pro Wrestling Fans Here? V2.0

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by sirmikael, Apr 28, 2011.

1. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

This match below where one of the jobbers had an odor is a classic. Stan Lane pretty much refuses to touch him.

Matthew Tate and MikeInFla like this.
  2. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

what are peoples thoughts on HHH as a wrestler?

905 likes this.
  3. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

So apparently this wasn't a work and they guy really was smelly. I would love to hear Cornette's comments on this but apparently his comments about it are no longer on YouTube. Perhaps an old Experience or Drive Thru has him talking about it.

4. WarEagleRK

I remember him talking about it on the show, but it's been a couple of years.

5. WarEagleRK

He had great matches and great promos...as long as neither went too long. When he 1st got his big push it was a bit too early as he wasn't yet at that level, but he eventually reached the level of his push.

My main negative about him was the length of everything. He sometimes had matches that went too long, he often had promos that went too long and he kept himself on top a bit too long. Later in his career his matches were overbooked, much like a Cody Rhodes match today where he was trying to throw so many different things into one story that it became a jumbled mess.

Him not letting Ric Flair pin him in Greensboro during Flair's final run was his ego being a bit much. If the guy is your hero, put him over just once.

6. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

Agreed with all of this. It was also a shame that some of his injuries through the years wrecked some potentially interesting storylines that his character would get into (The Two Man Power Trip). He was certainly lucky to be working in the Attitude era with so much talent on the roster. Not the best of the bunch by far but effective as a heel for sure.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  7. 905

905 Senior Member

I pretty much stopped watching current product in 2000, but I always liked him, both the Greenwich snob and the degenerate.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  8. AleYeah

AleYeah Forum Resident

2 minutes of high quality entertainment right there! :agree:

Matthew Tate and WarEagleRK like this.
  9. WarEagleRK

Add to the perfection of a Midnight Express squash match during the whole match Cornette was so great at putting over every single angle that was going on at the time on commentary.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

I get why many disliked Warrior, as he was viewed as a guy who didn't care about the business and only about himself, but in retrospect, when we see how the business treats wrestlers, and how promoters like Vince treat wrestlers, it is hard to really blame him. He made his money and got out at a fairly young age, instead of being a Flair who appears destined to die in the ring (if anyone lets him in a ring again).

Hmmm, I never saw the Piper/Perfect match; that had to be a good one. Hennig could get a good match out of almost anyone back in 1988-1991.

Triple H strikes me as a guy who needs a stipulation to have a great match, like no DQ, or hell in a cell, or last man standing, etc. Seems like he was never a guy you could just put in the ring in a one on one normal match and expect him to make it great.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. WarEagleRK

Another reason wrestlers hated him was Warrior was also apparently difficult to work with in the ring. He was stiff and careless. He busted Flair's eardrum in 92 which indirectly lead to Bret Hart being champ for the 1st time.

As a fan, his matches were crap for the most part and his promos were awful and incoherent. Add to that his horrible attitude and views outside the ring and he isn't someone many care for.

12. George Co-Stanza

All true. Warrior was the worst at no-selling. It was like no move could knock him down and keep him down. He would constantly move around and start to get up. And it rarely seemed like it was in character (like 'Taker's sit up or Hogan's hulk up), but just the guy wanting to look as strong as possible and not caring a whole lot how strong his opponent didn't look as a result. The only times it seemed like he did sell a lot of moves were when the matches went longer than a few minutes, and that was probably only because he had such little stamina that he was legit winded and needed a breather.

WarEagleRK and Matthew Tate like this.
  13. Matthew Tate

now that you mention it if i listed my top 10 HHH matches i think 7 of them are stipulation matches

George Co-Stanza likes this.
  14. Matthew Tate

so i love HHH. grew up with him. i am almost 40 so i was part of his target audience. i agree sometimes his matches and promos went on longer than they should. i didn't notice what was mentioned though he needed stipulations until after it was brought up. i'm going to list some of my favorite matches of his. just numbered so we can see how many of the ones i like are stipulation matches

1 vs mankind 6/8/97
    2 vs stone cold 10/17/99 no holds barred
    3 vs cactus jack 1/23/00 street fight
    4 vs cactus jack 2/27/00 hell in a cell
    5 vs the rock 5/21/00 iron man match
    6 vs the rock vs kurt angle 8/27/00 triple threat match
    7 vs stone cold 11/19/00 no DQ
    8 vs stone cold 2/25/01 three stages of hell
    9 vs chris jericho 3/17/02
    10 vs HBK 12/15/02 2 out 0f 3 falls
    11 vs booker t 3/30/03
    12 vs HBK 1/24/04 last man standing
    13 vs benoit vs HBK 3/14/04 triple threat match
    14 vs batista 6/26/05 hell in a cell
    15 vs ric flair 11/1/05 steel cage
    16 vs ric flair 11/27/05 last man standing
    17 vs randy orton 10/7/07 last man standing
    18 vs the undertaker 4/3/11 no holds barred
    19 vs the undertaker 4/1/12 hell in a cell
    20 vs brock lesnar 4/7/13 no DQ
    21 vs sting 3/29/15 no DQ

i listed 21 i recall being great. i know there are other PPV matches that are great and several raw main events that didn't have stipulations but still. if i'm correct i listed 3 of 21 matches that are no stipulations unless we count triple threats as regular matches and then it 5 out of 21

905, JCRW and George Co-Stanza like this.
  15. George Co-Stanza

I thought the SummerSlam match was the best of the three with Lesnar in 2012-2013 by a wide distance. That SummerSlam match is pretty rewatchable. The other two, not so much, IMO. That is funny though that most of those matches had stipulations, just as I suspected. ;)

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. Matthew Tate

today after i made that post my friend who is a big wrestling buff started wondering how much this had to do with HHH , the predictable booking from 2000-2010 and HHH being a heel most of the time he was in the title picture for the big titles. my friend said if you go look from 2000-2010 JBL and edge had a bunch of stipulation matches at PPVs when they were heels fighting for the WWE and heavyweight titles. i looked and sure enough it was true. he said it was so predictable. they either had the heel win via the stipulation or had the face win by overcoming the stipulation and almost every match for the 2 big titles did that from 2000-2010 at most PPVs

17. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

Watched the season finale of Dark Side Of The Ring last night. I think this was one of the better episodes of season 3 and actually wished they made it a two parter and got rid of one of the outlaw garbage worship episodes like the XPW show last week or the Nick Gage one. It was interesting to see how Vince's lawyer dug deep and found so many flaws to the prosecutors case even though everyone knew that the wrestlers of the time were abusing steroids, they just couldn't pin it directly on Vince himself.

18. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

I actually rate Triple H vs Undertaker at WrestleMania X-Seven higher than the two you listed even though the storyline build and the "End Of An Era" booking were far superior. That match was a no stipulations match even though it did become a street fight when the ref was knocked unconscious. In the "What could have been" department you would have seen Triple H become face and challenge Stone Cold for the Championship belt later on in the year.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  19. Matthew Tate

HHH did have lots of great matches. i just listed a few. i like feud he had with kevin nash in 2003 but others seemed to not like that.

JCRW likes this.
  20. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

21. WarEagleRK

22. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

23. WarEagleRK

I don't think that's their way. I'm guessing beyond Moxley maybe referencing it in a promo. They aren't going to go WCW/Scott Hall.

24. skinnyev

skinnyev Forum Resident

I recently signed up for the WWE package through my cable provider and have access to the WWE website now. I’ve been loving watching all the old Prime Times and TNT episodes. Some of that is straight up funny. I forgot how great the Roddy / Orton / Orndorf story was with Orton’s cast. Im going to work my way up to the Monday Night Wars. I don’t follow wrestling now, but have to admit that when I do watch it, the athleticism is off the charts compared to the older days.

when I was a kid and up through my 20’s I loved wrestling and just grew away from it, but the 80’s stuff is just so funny, these guys still seem larger than life 35 years later. I went down the rabbit hole of YouTube videos of the wrestlers talking about all the behind the scenes stuff, I like watching that, but the industry failed to protect the business that way, too bad, I always knew it was fake, but it still seemed real when I was younger. I had a Great Aunt who would go to any shows up in Sudbury that went through, she apparently was a tough broad and would stick it to all the wrestlers! Her family were mortified, but she knew great entertainment.

MikeInFla and Matthew Tate like this.
  25. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

That poor man. That injury just never healed......

j4yheindeo, skinnyev and Matthew Tate like this.