Any Pro Wrestling Fans Here? V2.0

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by sirmikael, Apr 28, 2011.

1. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

i believe they had already stopped non PPV dvd and blu ray sets in 2020. for maybe 20 months they were just releasing the year PPVs on physical media. the last few non PPV releases i think were sets dedicated to AJ Styles , the shield, Finn Balor and unreleased match sets by HBK , Roddy Piper and Macho Man

2. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

You are right in that I haven't seen much of Cody in the last five years (probably more), but remember that I said, "you need a combination of the right look, swagger and talking skills," combination being the key word there. ;)

Gimmick matches are good as a novelty, but I feel that to be a top star, you need to be able to pull of good matches on a regular basis without gimmicks or matches with special stipulations (like no DQ or last man standing or hell in a cell). I made that argument about HHH a while back, as seemingly most of his most memorable matches over the years are gimmick/stipulation matches. The business is different now, I get it, as gimmick matches are pretty common now, while they use to be special attractions years ago.

Matthew Tate and MikeInFla like this.
  3. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

I was, up until maybe 20 years ago. Lost interest when WCW and ECW folded.

4. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

No, I think Cody has all three of those, but his talking skills are the top of those three and he's good in the ring. Good, not great. Very mechanical in his movements and just overtells his story. Much like his dad every feud has to be a blood feud, but he doesn't have his dad's charisma.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  5. George Co-Stanza

I was never a Dusty Rhodes fan, but he definitely had a ton of charisma that made a lot of fans love him.

And I came to really dislike Dusty once I heard about his booking tactics and how he was responsible for what became as the Dusty finish, which was basically a finish that would be overturned, that would often make it impossible to "mark out" and enjoy a big moment because you never knew if the booking meant they'd pull the rug out from under you a minute later. That tactic was, is and will always be awful.

MikeInFla and Matthew Tate like this.
  6. WarEagleRK

The "Dusty Finish" was around long before Dusty was a booker, but he definitely ran it into the ground. I think that "ref gets bumped and the face wins the title when the 2nd ref counts the pin...only to get a DQ finish called once the original ref wakes up" finish goes back to the 60s.

The finish is fine by itself. It's actually a great heat drawing finish if you use it once every 3 or 4 years and pay it off in the rematch. It worked well with Starrcade 85 with him and Flair because it wasn't overused yet. Right after that the rematches drew big. If you do it right to set up a rematch and eventually the face winsin the end of the feud and then you don't use the finish for a few years it works.

However after Starrcade 85 it became a crutch and Dusty got to the point he did it sometimes back to back months in the same city. Cornette has talked about him giving the Midnights the same finish in back to back months in the same city and him saying something about it because he kept a record of all of his finishes to not duplicate in front of the same audience. That's when people gave it the name 'the Dusty Finish", not because he created but because he got sloppy with his booking and over used it.

Doing it in Chicago at Starrcade 87 with the Road Warriors winning the tag titles from Tully and Arn in their gimmick home town then having to return them killed the city for them for a few years.

That actually paid off later on their 1st PPV after he was out as booker. The Steamboat title win over Flair in Chicago in Feb 89 had a ref bump and a 2nd ref count the pin and at the end they had the two refs talk like it was going to be a Dusty Finish and then both raised Steamboat's hand. It was kind of their kiss off to Rhodes who had gotten fired as booker and walked out as a wrestler a month or so before.

Of course Dusty came back to WCW as booker in 1991 and his 2nd big show he books a Dusty Finish in the Tokyo Done where the fans think Tatsumi Fujinami won the title from Flair.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2021
  7. George Co-Stanza

Good call on the Flair/Steamboat match. I'd have to re-watch it to be sure, but I think NWA fans had been so conditioned to having the rug pulled out from under them that the 3-count didn't get as big of a pop as when the original referee grabbed Steamboat's arm and raised it indicating that his win over Flair would stand.

MikeInFla and Matthew Tate like this.
  8. WarEagleRK

Yeah, everyone watching was like "here we go again" then Tommy Young raised Steamboat's hand confirming Teddy Long's decision and the crowed loved it and it was a tip of the hat to smart fans.

905, MikeInFla and Matthew Tate like this.
  9. George Co-Stanza

True. I still think that is the best of the three Flair/Steamboat matches that year, but many prefer the WrestleWar one. Of course, that spot where Young was knocked out was questionable booking. Steamboat is on the top rope and about to do a cross body block on Flair for a pin attempt, so why is Young standing literally right next to Flair to where he can get "knocked out" instead of getting out of the way? LOL.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. Matthew Tate

there were 3 big flair/steamboat matches in 89 right? i thought the 3 big ones are all on dvd releases

11. WarEagleRK

I was at WrestleWar 89 in Nashville.

I like the 2nd one in New Orleans the best as far as the match goes, but when you add the post match angle with Terry Funk in the mix WrestleWar wins out as far as the whole package goes.

In ring I thought the Clash Of Champions match in New Orleans was the best. Plus it gave 3 rare things, a best of 3 falls match, teasing a 60 minute draw by having a finish and a super rarity in 1989 a top guy submitting.

I also saw Flair vs Steamboat at a house show in Chattanooga in March of 89.

They also had this great match in Landover, MD in 89 that someone got camcorder footage of...

12. WarEagleRK

2 PPV matches (Chi-Town Rumble in February, WrestleWar 89 in May) and one Clash Of Champions match from April. I'm not sure about DVD releases. I know the WrestleWar 89 one was on that 1st Flair WWE DVD.

I think from February - May 1989 they wrestled each other 40+ times when you count in house shows.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. George Co-Stanza

Honestly, all three matches were so great that you could pick any of them as your favorite and it would be difficult to quibble. Between those matches and his feud and those matches with Terry Funk, Flair really did have an unreal 1989. A shame he kind of went downhill after that, but he ended the decade on a tremendous note.

14. WarEagleRK

He was also the booker for most of 89 so he put himself on TV a lot that year. He had great TV matches with Brad Armstrong, Mike Rotunda & Bobby Eaton in a time where you never really saw the NWA champion wrestle on TV.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  15. George Co-Stanza

It wouldn't surprise me if he did that knowing that he needed more visibility to compete with Hogan at the time on the "who is the greatest?" scale. It was obvious to everyone that Hogan was gonna get the WWF belt back from Savage in the spring of '89 and then be the man again there for the rest of the year, so by putting himself on TV a lot, Flair got seen a lot more than usual.

16. Matthew Tate

chi town rumble is on rise and fall of wcw. the clash 2 out of 3 falls match is on the steamboat dvd set. as you stated wrestlewar is on the 1st flair set

George Co-Stanza likes this.
  17. WarEagleRK

There is another house show match from 84 or 85 on another WWE DVD release. It may be the Horsemen set. If I remember Steamboat did updated commentary.

They wrestled hundreds of times and so few were filmed.

If you search you can find some 70s handheld camera footage from the 70s in those tapes Cornette rescued from the trash in Crocketts office.

Also there is a Meadowlands match from 84 that was filmed.

18. Matthew Tate

theres also a U.S. title match from the 70's on the U.S. Heavyweight dvd set

George Co-Stanza and WarEagleRK like this.
  19. WarEagleRK

The 1994 series from Spring Stampede and the 40 minute match from WCW Saturday Night were also very good.

I think their final match ever was televised and happened on WCW Main Event in July of that year.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. Matthew Tate

So I have the PPV queued up on my FIOS and it says it starts at 8pm est but ROH keeps saying fins battle starts at 7pm est. anyone have any ideas ?

21. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

22. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

23. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

24. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Matthew Tate likes this.
  25. Matthew Tate

If anyone is a huge ROH fan and followed the company for almost the entire time like me the Briscoes promo about this Saturdays PPV is amazing and might tug at the old heart strings