Any Pro Wrestling Fans Here? V2.0

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by sirmikael, Apr 28, 2011.

1. MYQ1

MYQ1 Forum Resident

350 Days documentary:

2. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

Yes , ugh

3. Matthew Tate

I think it shows great respect HBK, sabu and Seth Rollins admitting Cena isn’t the best in the ring but loved working with him because he isn’t afraid to work hard and will do whatever as he wasn’t afraid of losing his spot as the top guy

4. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

Yep, any time someone's music kicks in when a match is going and then that wrestler charges in to interfere or whatever is just dumb. I get that is usually done to get a pop from the crowd, but it just represents that they don't even try to hide the fact anymore that it is a work.

Valkenburg and Matthew Tate like this.
  5. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

I despise when they play the music for people running in to make a save. "I need to save my buddy from this vicious 4 on 1 attack, but make sure my music gets cued up before I run out first."

6. George Co-Stanza

I remember when the Warrior ran in to make the save after the Hogan/Sid match at WM8, and PWI ran some story explaining how the sound guy just happened to see the Warrior running towards the entrance and cued up his music figuring he was gonna run out to the ring. LOLOLOLOLOL

7. Moonbeam Skies

Moonbeam Skies Forum Resident

Speaking of the "Dusty Finish", I agree it was overused. I have often wondered what would have been wrong with having legit pins in the middle of the ring 90% of the time or more. It would have been so much more satisfying than finishes where a guy gets pinned only after he gets knocked out by someone from outside the match and the ref didn't see it happen, not to mention the overused countouts and disqualifications.
    For example let's say Ric Flair pinned Nikita Koloff cleanly 15 times in 1986 to defend his NWA world title belt. Nikita could still be a huge draw. Nikita could offset those losses to Flair by beating a bunch of other top notch guys like Road Warrior Hawk and Barry Windham.
    That's how it is in boxing and UFC. Tank Abbott was a badass even after we saw him lose to a few guys.

WarEagleRK and Matthew Tate like this.
  8. WarEagleRK

You're talking about 1990's All Japan with that type of booking. 1980's All Japan had constant double countout finishes in major matches, then one day Giant Baba said "all clean finishes going forward" and they had an incredible 1989-1998ish before the style wore people down and then Baba died and most of the top stars left to form NOAH. I think US wrestling promoters are scared that they will lose a ton of fans without the drama and the soap opera aspect of it and with that comes having people cheat to draw heat.

One huge positive of UFC was it's influence on pro-wrestling. Once people saw legit fighters losing and tapping out, suddenly most top stars in wrestling couldn't say they wouldn't submit in a match anymore.

9. Matthew Tate

i know its a lot for corny to remember but corny drive thru he has made some crazy mistakes the last few weeks. just recently he mentioned he never saw dalton castle before battle of the belts. nope he reviewed at least 2 other events he was part of before including the final 2021 ROH PPV. he also stated how badly AEW has messed up samoa joe already by making his first title defense of the ROH belt against a grandpa. nope grandpa was the champ and the match was to get the belt to joe

10. WarEagleRK

The fact that he was ripping into Minoru Suzuki as not being a competent pro wrestler caused me to cut that segment off quickly.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. Matthew Tate

that too but did you hear he sat it was joe's title defense? how he didn't notice that or brian didn't correct him seems insane.

at least he did admit in ROH castles gimmick would work but because of the AEW circus it doesn't stand out

12. WarEagleRK

He is so caught up in his own AEW hatred that he didn't really like Punk vs Dustin Rhodes. I can only listen to his segments where he talks about older things. He's so bitterly angry at so many of the people in AEW that even stuff he should like he doesn't just on principal.

Helmuth, Matthew Tate and MikeInFla like this.
  13. Helmuth

Helmuth Forum Resident

^ He's just a gimmick and always has been, who knows what he really thinks of anything. His persona and schtick is 100 per cent a work, disingenuous at best.

I sometimes listen because he can be funny, though frankly he's slightly unreconstructed in his opinions, bordering on offensive misogyny, although I do take at face value that it's a strong misanthropy and he probably doesn't mean any one race, creed or gender harm, and is just an equal opportunity A-hole.

However, I haven't found him funny in while, especially as AEW hasn't really been putting a foot wrong too much. And it's clear has to manufacture these fake outrages. But f he did say Suzuki can't wrestle it makes him sound like even more of a WWE shill buffoon .

14. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Um, just to say what he sounds like on the pod cast or the old interviews is just what he is like, maybe a little more for a microphone.
    He really does live and breath wrestling. I regret that I never got to meet Stacey, as I was a fan of Synn and, not realizing she was Jim's girlfriend/wife, wondered why she never moved up to the main roster. I thought she was one of the hottest things on OVW. He laughed and said he would tell her.:D

Matthew Tate likes this.
  15. George Co-Stanza

To be fair to Cornette, I am sure the wet dreams he has of the Midnight Express probably distract him on a daily basis.

MikeInFla and Matthew Tate like this.
  16. WarEagleRK

I tried to watch the open to Raw because I do like Randy Orton, but after minute 15 I had to turn it off. I almost turned it off as it started because all of the wrestlers at ringside had to be in full gimmick and some of them just looked too silly to even continue watching. The tribute video was cool and I could deal with it until the guy after Cody and Rollins came out who is apparently a guy who is impersonating his own brother and at that point I had to go.

Matthew Tate and Moonbeam Skies like this.
  17. Matthew Tate

tribute to who?

18. WarEagleRK

The aforementioned Randy Orton, it's his 20th anniversary in the WWE.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  19. Matthew Tate

got it. he's one of the few guys left there anyone cares about

Helmuth and WarEagleRK like this.
  20. Valkenburg

Valkenburg Forum Resident

The roll up is apparently the second most devastating move in wrestling. You can punch and kick your opponent, slam his head into the turnbuckle and ring post, body slam and back drop him, and none of that is enough to pin him. Roll him up though and he's as helpless as a turtle on its back.

The most devastating move of course is if you have a female manager and you hit your opponent on the head with her high heel shoe.

21. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

You can do anything to me in the ring but not the REVERSE CHINLOCK!!!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

I bailed on going to RAW in Knoxville so no live report. Nothing happened to make me regret it. The Randy Orton celebration was ok but no surprise guests. Vince let Bianca win at home but in the stupidest way possible. The best segment was the return of Becky and Asuka but they leaked that in advance so it lost any impact.

WarEagleRK, noname74 and Matthew Tate like this.
  23. Matthew Tate

two things.

1 MLW had maybe the best roster in the biz prior to AEW stealing all the talent

2 i wish teddy hart could get himself together and get a run in AEW

24. George Co-Stanza

Let's not forget a heel putting his feet on the ropes when he doesn't need to do so. I remember seeing Andre beat Hacksaw Duggan where all he had to do was lay on top of Duggan, but instead of propped his two feet up on the middle ropes, which theoretically should have made it easier for Duggan to kick out since less of Andre's weight was on him.

Valkenburg and Matthew Tate like this.
  25. WarEagleRK

I like that MLW is using a lot of lucha guys to make themselves be a bit different than everyone else.

Maybe if Teddy Hart was still 25, but they had the better version of Teddy Hart in Jack Evans and they really didn't have a spot for him in AEW. Plus, I don't think CM Punk would be good with Hart there since they really clashed in the early days of ROH.

Matthew Tate likes this.