Any Pro Wrestling Fans Here? V2.0

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by sirmikael, Apr 28, 2011.

1. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

That’s probably closer to what will happen before allowing Zayn a singles match against Roman at any PPV (let alone WrestleMania).

2. noname74

Anything can happen with fan reaction but Cody bought a lot of fan loyalty with his match against Rollins with a torn pec. It would take a lot for people to boo him right now.

3. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

I think the thing with Cody is, he's naturally unlikeable. He has learned how to be a star, but he has much better heel charisma than babyface. At least in WWE he can't book himself like he was Dusty where every friend he ever had eventually turns on him leading to a feud that is eventually won by Cody... and every new monster heel coming into the company immediately targets him.

That and I think the AEW fans realized that when he left WWE the 1st time he hitched himself to the Bullet Club/Elite to open up doors that might not have been opened to Stardust. He used them then he immediately distanced himself from the people who gave him the indy cred the second AEW started and that began his slow death with the AEW audience.

4. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

IMO, Roman hasn't had the belt all this time because he's the guy management likes and want to push. He's held it because this has been a compelling story line despite its length, and he's done a great job being the heel. The choice of making him the face of the company has been vindicated multiple times over at this point.

I assumed the show would open with the women's RR and close with the men's RR. When the women's RR started, I thought they had made a really bad choice not closing the show with a RR, because the title match would be anti-climatic. In hindsight, they were 100% correct, nothing could have followed Sami's turn.

5. WarEagleRK

I just hope they don't split the two belts for singles or tags. You don't need two sets of world champions in the same company. WWE needs one world champion who works both shows, same with the tag belts.

Hopefully once ROH launches again, AEW won't have all of those belts on TV as well.

Roman has been an interesting story, he got pushed as the top guy too early and it wasn't accepted. Then once he developed this Tribal Chief character, it all clicked for him. His run since his return from leukemia has been the best storyline the WWE has had in decades. Most of the time the Bloodline is the only thing I'll watch on their programming.

The funny thing is the Tribal Chief character was created to set up Reigns vs The Rock and that may never actually happen, but it launched Reigns as a top guy to THE top guy.

Also the three guys from the Shield are three of the most compelling wrestlers on TV every week.

6. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

Anyone catch any of the funeral? I saw most of it. Anyone know if Cary silkin was there ?

7. noname74

Cody opening Raw when you know everyone wants Sami or the Bloodline to come out.

8. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

9. Stormrider77

Stormrider77 Forum Resident

Totally disagree, Cody was super over before his injury and has shown no sign of fan backlash. Sami is not credible as a Wrestlemania headliner at least as he’s been portrayed. This isn’t a Bryan Danielson/Batista situation at all. Besides Sami getting his shot at Roman at the next PPV in Montreal will be an electric atmosphere, if they go with Sami and KO vs the Usos at Wrestlemania, that’s easily a hot enough program to semi main event one of the nights.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. noname74

I didn’t say Cody wasn’t over.

Nor did I say Sami should headline WrestleMania.

What I said was at this moment, a day after what happened at the Rumble, people really want to see what happens next in that storyline and I think would rather have that open the show. It’s not Cody’s fault he came back from injury at the culmination of one of the best storylines the WWE has had in years and right now, this moment, it’s the hottest thing WWE has going so yes, people want to see what happens next.

WarEagleRK likes this.
  11. Stormrider77

Stormrider77 Forum Resident

Understood but didn’t hear any booing during the Cody opening segment, still seemed pretty over. I do think the Bloodline/Sami angle is one of the better angles they’ve done, I just don’t see any evidence to say that should’ve opened the show as opposed to Cody continuing his chase to the title. I think people are going to be hot for both.

12. RayS

I think it's as simple as the fact that they have two shows on two networks to feed. So Cody opens/headlines Raw and the Sami angle headlines Smackdown.

13. WarEagleRK

Roman has it in his contract that he only works a select few number of Monday nights, so it limits what you can do with his angle.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Your setting up heat for Cody/Roman. I honestly don't see Sami/ Roman being the point of that whole program. The story is Sami and Owens. I think with Romans split attention on Sami and the Family with underestimating Cody Roman drops the title resulting in more family turmoil. The reuniting of Owens/Sami will be the payoff.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  15. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

16. WarEagleRK

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

He has said the big leg drops did a lot of damage. At his size I can believe that.

MikeInFla, 905 and Matthew Tate like this.
  18. WarEagleRK

He also said he wrestled 380 days a year because his trips to Japan across the time line gave him extra days a year. He says a lot.

MikeInFla and Matthew Tate like this.
  19. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

At his size and weight I would have been surprised if he didn't have problems at his age. The move takes everything on the base of the spine, and he did it hundreds if not thousands of times. It's something he has mentioned a few times over the years and this would be the result. It could be worse and it may yet be. And in spite of anything, I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. WarEagleRK

I have no doubt that he has tons of physical problems at his size and from doing the leg drop and it could be true that he can't feel his legs.

I'm just saying that I never give a Hogan comment the benefit of the doubt as he greatly exaggerates and makes stuff up all of the time. I mean he told The Undertaker that he broke his neck on a tombstone, when the replay showed that Hogan's head was inches from even hitting the mat, he said he tore muscles in his back slamming Andre and a million other things that are not true over the years so I question almost everything he says.

21. WarEagleRK

22. RayS

23. noname74

24. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

I think the Royal Rumble was much better very early on when the idea that anyone could win it was actually a thing. Once they changed it to where the winner of the Rumble got the WM main event (basically), it eliminated any chance of a mid-carder or anything like that from winning. You pretty much know a main eventer or someone they are ready to push as one is going to win. The first Rumble was won by Hacksaw Jim Duggan, which would never happen now because he was never a main eventer.

Haha, yep, Hogan has never been good at being a truth teller. You pretty much have to take everything he says with a grain of salt.

Matthew Tate and WarEagleRK like this.
  25. WarEagleRK

When you look at the talent in that 1st Royal Rumble, Duggan or Jake are the only two obvious picks to win it anyway. Warrior hadn't taken off yet and the rest are just mid carders at the time. No real top stars other than them as there was no Savage, Hogan, DiBiase, Steamboat, Rude, Andre, Bad News Brown, Bigelow, Hercules, Beefcake or even IC champ Honky Tonk Man in the match who were all pushed talent at the time. It was a TV special on USA to try to keep people from buying the NWA's Bunkhouse Stampede PPV. The 1st one wasn't intended on being anything major, just to hurt the competition. When you look at the roster in the match below, Duggan winning isn't a surprise.

Royal Rumble (1988) - Wikipedia

1989 was the 1st time it was on PPV and the only reason I think Big John Studd won it was because they wanted to go with a 2nd Studd vs Andre feud but this time with Studd the face and Andre the heel and John quit not long after.

I think having the Mania title shot going to the winner enhances the match as well as promotes their biggest event of the year. It's not like Bushwacker Luke was ever going to win.

What's crazy was Jim Duggan was brought in to be the #2 face in the WWF in 1987, then he got busted with the Iron Sheik and fired. When he first got there in 87 he was more the Mid South/UWF Duggan which was a tough as nails top babyface. When they rehired him, that's when they made him the character he became for the rest of his career which wasn't a main event character. He was still upper midcard though. When he came back at the end of 87 he was kind of put in the Tito Santana role where he beats most people, then loses to the guy who was next up for Hogan.