Any Pro Wrestling Fans Here? V2.0

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by sirmikael, Apr 28, 2011.

1. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

That “filler” scared the WWE so much they had to send out Heyman last night to give one of his best performances ever in order to remind everyone that Cody vs Roman is important and shouldn’t be overshadowed by Zayns popularity.

2. Stormrider77

Stormrider77 Forum Resident

No different than nearly any title challenge before Wrestlemania but after the Rumble.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  3. Moonbeam Skies

Moonbeam Skies Forum Resident

Let's go old- school for a minute.
    I am sure that many of us are old enough to remember when Hulk Hogan shocked the world and joined the rulebreaking stable The New World Order in 1996. At that time many young wrestling fans only knew Hogan as a fan favorite from his long stint in the WWF and then in WCW, aside from his cameo appearance in the 1982 film Rocky III as the rulebreaking world champion Thunderlips. They had no idea Hogan had been a hated rulebreaker in his early years in the territories, that history had been erased. And if they did know, they chalked it up to youthful indiscretion, and certainly in no way representing the paragon of virtue Hogan had been since winning the WWF title in 1984 and earlier.
    But my question is, does anyone remember that about a year before joining the hated NWO Hogan teased a turn to rulebreaking? No one ever talks about this and I suspect everyone involved including Hogan has probably forgotten this. This was when Hogan, Lex Luger and Sting were the big fan favorites in WCW and their egos started to cause jealousy and conflict between each other. As I recall, Randy Savage entered the picture at some point, of course making things worse as one might expect. Anyway it was looking like Hogan had turned bad. He started appearing in dark ring attire and calling out Sting and Luger in interviews, though I don't think he ever actually did any cheap shots, but he may have wrestled one of them. This went on for maybe 2 or 3 weeks and then suddenly Hogan came back to his senses and went back to the familiar "good guy" yellow. As I recall he put the dark colors in the trash on TV to reassure the fans he was NOT turning bad.
    And then of course, 1 year later history was made.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2023
    905 and MikeInFla like this.
  4. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

I remember the trashing of the dark Hulk. I thought they were going to try for tweener status. Failed of course, that has to be organic to work.

MikeInFla and Moonbeam Skies like this.
  5. Moonbeam Skies

Thanks! I was starting to worry that whole thing was a fever dream I had. Haha!

MikeInFla likes this.
  6. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

Hogan was getting booed in 1995 in many WCW towns so why not give it a try. If I remember correctly it also coordinated with him shaving his mustache for a movie role.

Hogan had that match with Sting in Macon, GA on Nitro which was so dumb. They gave away the 1st ever Hogan vs Luger and Hogan vs Sting matches for free on TV.

It was a weird time because at the November PPV, Hogan burned a copy of Dave Meltzer's Wrestling Observer saying it was false reporting that Randy Savage had an arm injury when it was obvious that one of Savage's arms was half the size of the other and they were doing a storyline with his arm being injured to cover for it.

7. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

I don't remember that, but I think I had a lot going on in 1995 and tuned out of wrestling for much of that year.

The interesting thing about Hogan's actual turn at Bash at the Beach is that there was no fake-out from him when he walked out. Yes, he was wearing the red and yellow, but he didn't pander to the fans or do his usual good guy shtick before the turn. He was in full heel mode if you look at his face and body language from the second we see him walking out. I remember everyone at work talking about it the next day. Even some of the guys who rarely or never watched pro wrestling were talking about the ultimate guy Hulk Hogan suddenly becoming a bad guy. It was wild. And it felt real (even though it was obviously kayfabe).

905, Moonbeam Skies and MikeInFla like this.
  8. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

From TMZ Sports: JERRY 'THE KING' LAWLOR OF ICU AFTER 'MASSIVE STROKE' ...Returning Home To Rehab.

9. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

10. 905

905 Senior Member

11. WarEagleRK

First show I ever attended live was a Jarrett Promotions show in 1987 headlined by Jerry Lawler vs Austin Idol.

905, Moonbeam Skies and Matthew Tate like this.
  12. Moonbeam Skies

I remember my dad taking me to see wrestling at the old Olympia stadium in Detroit in 1979. I had been watching it on TV for several years and was very excited. I enjoyed it overall. But one thing that disappointed me was when the 1st match started and I realized the ring announcers would not be calling the action.
    EDIT: Randy Savage lost to Captain Ed George and Mark Lewin was in a match. Main event, The Sheik defeated Gino Hernandez.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2023
    JamieC, WarEagleRK and Matthew Tate like this.
  13. WarEagleRK

Memphis wrestling from the TV studio with Lance Russell and Dave Brown calling the insanity is as good as TV wrestling gets.

14. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

WWE Legends is back on A&E this sunday. NWO this week and Jake the Snake next week

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  15. MikaelaArsenault

16. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

Biographies

The season premiere will explore the infamous group NWO with other Legends featured this season including Jake “The Snake” Roberts, Chyna, Dusty Rhodes, Kane, and Iron Sheik.

Rivals
    The season begins with examining Hulk Hogan vs. Andre The Giant, and will explore other rivalries including “Stone Cold” Steve Austin vs. Bret Hart, Undertaker vs. Mankind, The Rock vs. John Cena, Triple H vs. Batista, Brock Lesnar vs. Roman Reigns, and “Stone Cold” Steve Austin vs. Shawn Michaels.

They knocked out a few of my wants for biographies. Still want
    Sgt Slaughter
    Ted Dibiase
    Superstar Billy Graham
    RVD
    Jerry Lawler

MikaelaArsenault and blutiga like this.
  17. 905

905 Senior Member

I have fond memories from about 20 years ago, someone sent me a few wrestling tapes of Memphis from about 1981-87, still remember how enjoyable Bill and Buddy were along with everything else.

18. WarEagleRK

Here is a great comp of the Bill & Buddy show era.

19. WarEagleRK

20. MikaelaArsenault

21. mikestar

mikestar Friendly Optimist

If any Pedro Morales, Chief Jay Strongbow, Ivan Koloff, Toru Tanaka, Crazy Luke Graham era posts appear, tag me.

22. MikaelaArsenault

23. MikaelaArsenault

24. MikaelaArsenault

25. MikaelaArsenault