Any Pro Wrestling Fans Here? V2.0

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by sirmikael, Apr 28, 2011.

1. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

That segment was great and I was 100% with you until this line. There is a huge difference in working with someone you don't like and working with someone who threw a punch at you. If someone is involved in a legit fight back stage and someone else doesn't want to work with them on screen, I see no issue with it. It's not what's best for business...none of how that was handled was what was best for the bottom line. Tony Khan did a terrible job handling that the 1st time which caused it to happen a second time, but as far as the Bucks, Jack Perry or anyone else involved go... part of being a grown-up is choosing not to work with someone who punched you in the face because they can't control their impulse reactions. No matter how this backwards business has been run in the past, it doesn't mean it has to be done that way today. I get that you seemingly don't like the other people involved in his altercations, but let's not pretend with the "I work with children" line (which might have been correct) he said that the press conference wasn't also said by a child.

Punk is an incredible promo and story teller in the ring, but many of his actions over his career are not exactly that of a grown-up. I say that as a guy who was a huge fan of his who for years had the screenname CMPunk5150 on multiple wrestling message boards, but a little before he left the WWE just all of the stuff I'd hear about how he treated others turned me away from him. Then I saw in person how he treats people and that was enough for me. I'm sure he's on his best behavior right now because he knows this is his last real shot to make big money and he has nowhere else to go and a motivated CM Punk is a top 5 promo of all time, and very good in the ring.

All of that said, again I think you were 100% spot on about that segment as it was great.

2. WarEagleRK

3. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

Your side comment here reminds me that when I discovered the IWC back in the 00's, my first screen name was "SaraDelRay4ever". You may notice that I did not spell her name correctly - gee, what a superfan I was! :laugh:

I got called out on it quickly on the ROH forums (remember those?), and I was so embarrassed that I started using a different name immediately. From then on, for wrestling forums I went by CodeGreen (named for MsChif's finisher - she was my favorite back then) or Yoshitonic (the proper name of the code green move).

Matthew Tate and WarEagleRK like this.
  4. WarEagleRK

I was on the ROH forums and was one of many who occasionally got angry DM's from Gabe Sapolsky for having an opinion.

MikeInFla, Matthew Tate and Scopitone like this.
  5. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

This is long, but a great listen. I'll be the first to admit that Punk is a difficult guy and probably a major pain in the butt, but he has a great mind and is fascinating to listen to about wrestling and everything about it. I know the twitter AEW fans will just watch certain clips with a closed mind and rip him apart, but I think anyone who is a fan of pro wrestling owes it to themselves to give that a listen with an open mind.

mBen989 and Matthew Tate like this.
  6. WarEagleRK

He is a super smart guy when it comes to wrestling, and I've always enjoyed anytime he's talked about it and broken down matches or in shoot interviews.

The most vocal and annoying of AEW fans on Twitter are annoying will do that and to the contrary the most vocal and annoying WWE fans will take those same clips as a way to dunk on the AEW fans. It's why social media platforms are a cesspool as it becomes a war between tribes with the most vocal mostly having the least actual knowledge. If you take the most vocal only fans of either product as the 100% example of the fan base then nobody looks good because it's so annoyingly tribal. I'm glad social media didn't exist during the Monday Night Wars.

My problem with the Punk interview isn't Punk at all, it's Ariel who is such a WWE shill that much of the wrestling coverage he does takes an anti-AEW or pro-WWE slant due to Tony Khan calling him out that he was on the WWE payroll while covering all of wrestling as a supposed neutral journalist. He did the same thing covering MMA while on the UFC payroll where everything took a pro-UFC slant until Dana White turned on him and suddenly it was different. He is an example of modern "journalism' that I dislike.

MikeInFla and Matthew Tate like this.
  7. WarEagleRK

Not a good day for AEW from a PR standpoint with the Punk interview and releasing several wrestlers after Khan said he'd never release anyone while under contract a few years back.

mBen989 and Matthew Tate like this.
  8. Scopitone

Who did he let go?

MikeInFla and Matthew Tate like this.
  9. Scopitone

Watching some 70s Florida on YouTube. I feel like there’s no way Haystacks Calhoun was 600 pounds. Gotta be more like 450.

He’s big, but surely he’s not as big as Yokozuna was.

He’s also really boring to watch. He basically has neither mobility nor personality.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. George Co-Stanza

Rock looks so old now. Not that he was ever the quickest guy, but he really lumbers around now when not stationary. And he was gasping for air again at the end there after just a couple minutes of action. He'll need to get in a lot better shape for the eventual match vs Reigns, but I suspect Roman will do the heavy lifting in the tag match next Saturday.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2024
    Stormrider77 and Matthew Tate like this.
  11. AirJordanFan93

AirJordanFan93 Forum Resident

Same thing happened in 2012/2013 with the Cena matches and he was only 40 then, It's only going to get worse as he continues through his 50s if he does intend to wrestle a few more matches.

12. WarEagleRK

Nobody who really moves the needle, but it goes against what he had said in the past.

Dasha (the Saturday ring announcer who was far better than Justin Roberts)
    Gravity
    The Boys (Dalton Castle's crew)
    Anthony Henry (who is out injured and I think is super talented. )
    Slim J
    Jose the Assiatant

Maybe a couple of more.

At least he didn't give them the 90 day no compete and they can work anywhere tomorrow.

mBen989, Matthew Tate and Scopitone like this.
  13. AirJordanFan93

Some of those early RF shoots are horrid due to the poor production values. Also he did like zero prep and was a terrible interviewer as well.

14. WarEagleRK

Stu Grayson
    Parker Brodeaux

Were two more.

Matthew Tate and Scopitone like this.
  15. George Co-Stanza

Agreed. He looks like the guy who still lifts all day every day, but never does cardio, and now that he is older and not a regular worker, he can't keep up for even a brief bit of action.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. AirJordanFan93

I suspect Roman will carry the bulk of the load on Saturday and Dwayne will be heavily protected and do his key spots and that will be it. I think he and Roman will with Rock pinning Cody so they can have the theoretical match with Rock/Cody for Summerslam.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. George Co-Stanza

The more I think about it, I think Rollins and Rhodes win the tag match and then Reigns retains Sunday. They can push all of this silly "Reigns is the greatest ever" talk all they want (does anyone who has been watching wrestling for more than five years actually think that???), but he's a guy who needs the title, and I feel like the eventual Reigns/Rock match wouldn't have as much allure if Reigns wasn't the champ anymore. And Rhodes kind of has that Sting/Daniel Bryan babyface thing where him chasing the title is far more compelling than a title reign would be.

I also feel like this isn't Cody's moment. I mean, he's supposed to be their ultimate face now, yet he got beaten and bloodied last week, and the guy who did comes out tonight getting cheered like he was the hero of the year. Yes, the crowd did boo Rock eventually, but it's not a good look for Cody as their ultimate babyface to have the heel bloodying him and then getting cheered like that. I also think Rock did a terrible job at the start tonight with the crowd as he was almost encouraging the cheers, when he should have been working his butt off to make them boo him, like a heel should do. Of course, there will be fans who are gonna cheer Rock no matter what, but the cheers for him early tonight were thunderous.

Stormrider77 likes this.
  18. AirJordanFan93

Surely they can't do the Roman wins LOL for a second year though. I do get what you mean that he really isn't much without the title though. But outside of people who heavily drink WWE Kool-Aid and believe their version of history no one who has a decent idea of wrestling history would consider Reigns in any conversation for Best Ever.

George Co-Stanza likes this.
  19. George Co-Stanza

Yep. Paul Heyman did a 25-minute interview on the Rich Eisen Show last week, and it was cool hearing him do an interview mostly out of character, as he talked about how he got into the business and how he got started and whatnot, but every time he talked about how awesome Roman Reigns is, you could almost hear the change in his voice from "normal, out of the wrestling world" Paul to the character that is Paul Heyman (his promo voice).

20. AirJordanFan93

One of the things I dislike about Heyman interviews is when he does this mix of kayfabe and non-kayfabe.

21. WarEagleRK

Roman and Rock win night 1. The stipulation gives it away. If they win, the Bloodline can interfere night 2. That's why Cody's been beaten to death by them heading into the match. He's going to overcome all of the odds and win in the end. Rock vs Reigns doesn't need the title as part of the story...it might need a tank of oxygen if it goes more than 10 minutes though.

If that's not the story that they are telling I never want a die hard WWE fan to tell me that the difference between AEW and WWE is that AEW doesn't tell stories.

22. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

Can’t believe he let the boys go

WarEagleRK likes this.
  23. WarEagleRK

If you are going to let people go, I can see them being near the top of who has to go. They rarely wrestle and they are the seconds of someone who also rarely wrestles. I'm guessing they weren't paid a whole lot, like on a 50K or so deal and not generating any revenue at all. AEW hired a new COO last week, and I guess they are going run things differently than Khan was running them as until now he's never cut with an active deal that wasn't fired with cause like Punk and Jimmy Havoc or asked out like Regal.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. George Co-Stanza

I think he straddles the line well, staying in character at times, while giving fans a glimpse of what he is like outside of his character. Plus, similar to Heenan back in the day or Cornette, listening to him talk about the business is always fascinating.

25. AirJordanFan93

I'd rather not listen to Cornette these days, He's gone way too far into the gimmick now. It's a shame because he is one of the few people who is worth listening to when it comes to history (Meltzer being the other) but he went too far down the "Cornette Gimmick" that it isn't a gimmick anymore.

WarEagleRK and Matthew Tate like this.