Any Pro Wrestling Fans Here? V2.0

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by sirmikael, Apr 28, 2011.

1. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Merry Woken Christmas!

2. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Braun Strowman Is The Elf Among Men!

Sammy Banderas and Matthew Tate like this.
  3. davidshirt

davidshirt =^,,^=

I subscribed to New Japan Pro Wrestling’s video service just to watch this tonight:

[​IMG]

Kenny Omega vs. Chris Jericho at Wrestle Kingdom 12 from the Tokyo Dome.

4. owsley

owsley Senior Member

I love everything about the WWE...except the wrestling. You know what I mean. Bad guy interviews, cheapshots, ambushes, skits. The actual wrestling is anti-climatic unless there is interference from 3rd parties or the managers or until the end of the match if there is extra-curricular activity. Does anyone subscribe to the WWE Network? Does it have enough old footage of what I want in general?

Matthew Tate and 905 like this.
  5. davidshirt

davidshirt =^,,^=

I have the WWE network and the access to older material is great. I love that the entire run of Saturday Nights Main Event is on there as well as PrimeTime Wrestling up until 1989. Oh, and access to every Pay Per view is awesome. That’s just WWF/WWE content. They also own the WCW catalog and quite a few other organization’s catalog/video library.

I hope they’ll eventually put up the first ke WWF Superstars And Wrestling Challenge shows. But other than that if you’re a fan it’s really worth it.

owsley and 905 like this.
  6. 905

905 Senior Member

I love the network, and I don't care about wrestling past 1999 or so.
    I've been enjoying WCCW, early Mid South, Prime Times, early Raw and Nitro, various older PPV and Clash of the Champions, plus lots of documentaries, some were originally released on DVD. And I heard Mid Atlantic is starting soon.

MikeInFla and Matthew Tate like this.
  7. owsley

owsley Senior Member

If they have enough WCW content, I'll go for it. My golden age of wrestling was late 90's WCW with the NWO, Eric Bischoff and Raven's Flock. The NWO theme music was a sampling of Jimi Hendrix 'Stars That Play With Laughing Sam's Dice' and 'Highway Child'. Can't get much cooler than that!
    I also loved Saturday Night's Main event because of Jesse The Body (the greatest color commentator that ever was). I loved Ventura especially in the late 80's when he was on USA as well as the occasional two hour broadcast of wrestling from Boston Garden. Macho Man won his first Intercontinental belt in Boston during one of these local broadcasts.

Matthew Tate and 905 like this.
  8. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

I like Matt's character, I am glad they were able to find a way around the "Broken" stuff with Impact. Hoping for some more matches at Matt's house as well.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

wonder if wwe ever regrets letting omega go?

10. MikeInFla

I don't have WWE Network but I too am a fan of the older stuff. But back in the 80's I snubbed my nose at anything that wasn't WWF. I was strictly a WWF guy (and being from Tennessee a SMW fan). I cared nothing about NWA, AWA, WCCW, etc. Of course the late 90's I moved over to WCW but it was to see the former WWF stars. Prime Time Wrestling, Sat Night's Main Event (I remember Jake was an in between heel/face character and gave King Kong Bundy a DDT -- would love to see that again).

My mistake, I missed out on some awesome stuff. I found AWA on ESPN Classics and there were some great matches!!! I have the AWA and WCCW DVD's and love that stuff, Im sorry about not watching it back then.

@owsley from what I understand there is a ton of WCW stuff on the Network, probably all or most of it. Same with AWA, WCCW and USWA. I also believe Cornette sold them SMW. I listen to Jim's podcast and he said all the the SMW episodes are on YouTube and I have seen a few of them there. haven't hunted them all down but I need to, SMW was a fun time.

One of my favorite Cornette promos wasn't cut on a wrestler. It was cut on Dairy Queen. In a recent podcast he talked to Jericho about the incident. Jericho was in the backseat. You can find the DQ video on YouTube. Here is Jim answering some questions about it. Man, I miss SMW. (Language alert on video)

Dugan, owsley, 905 and 1 other person like this.
  11. davidshirt

davidshirt =^,,^=

[​IMG]

Kenny Omega from Wrestle Kingdom 12.

Overall I thought the match was great. I am going to watch the entire card later tonight. I had to wake up at 3am to catch the Omega/Jericho match live... and now I’m st work and a little tired.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. owsley

owsley Senior Member

Do you know whether the WCW material available on the Network would include things like the skit where the NWO trails the Steniers on the road and rams their car into ditch where it rolled over? Or the night Arn Anderson retired and the NWO did a mock tribute to him with Mean Gene with X Pop imitating Ric Flair and Diesel imitating Anderson? That's the kind of stuff I'm looking for. It would be great if entire broadcasts were archived, that way you would be guaranteed to get everything

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

14. davidshirt

davidshirt =^,,^=

I could look it up tonight. I believe every episode is uncut. If there is any changes it’s only music changes.

Edit: just looked for it. It’s there, on the 2/17/97 edition of nitro. The car chase angle that is.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    Matthew Tate likes this.
  15. owsley

owsley Senior Member

Lemme know please! Especially if you find the two things I described. If they archived all the skits and interviews, I'm all in!!!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. Matthew Tate

man I miss the pre 2013 TNA wrestling

17. MikeInFla

I haven't seen it since it moved to Pop (Don't have it) but I assume I haven't missed much. They are in turmoil. I think Jeff was trying to get them in the right direction but he is gone. If Dutch isn't gone yet he will be soon.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. Matthew Tate

i heard its actually been pretty good lately

19. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Dutch is gone. My friend Scott D'amore has the book. IMO it is going full Canadian, although they will make forays down to the states. Hell they had Cornette fire Pritchard on air, and then they move the whole shabang up to Canada. Cornette does not work Canada and Jarrett had brought in Mantell(a good choice though).
    Jeff Jarrett has become pitiful.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. AleYeah

AleYeah Forum Resident

Arguably Jericho's best match... at age 47. Great stuff.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. Matthew Tate

Jericho and Christopher Daniels are about the same age and both still have great matches

22. 905

905 Senior Member

Mid-Atlantic from the early 80s is up on the network. Starting on it now, always wanted to see more of this area.

MikeInFla and Matthew Tate like this.
  23. AleYeah

AleYeah Forum Resident

I grew up in western NC as a HUGE rasslin fan. Mid Atlantic was great.

905 likes this.
  24. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

Picked this 5 DVD set up used not long ago:

[​IMG]

It's a pretty old set, so I apologize if it has been discussed at some point. It was new to me and I really enjoyed it. There were some good matches, but what made it stand out was the commentary track by Jim Cornette and Dave Meltzer. Very informative and entertaining! Learned a lot about the different promotions/territories circa '70s and early '80s. I particularly like watching/hearing about the Detroit/Toronto matches featuring the Sheik!

[​IMG]

Anyway, IMO...good stuff if you can find it cheap (I got it for used for $6).

25. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Apparently WWE is putting out a Randy Savage Unreleased Matches DVD in May. :goodie: