Any Pro Wrestling Fans Here? V2.0

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by sirmikael, Apr 28, 2011.

1. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

Yep, as previous post stated it's only a matter of time before she barks like a dog.

RayS and Matthew Tate like this.
  2. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

I hate how Vince, still to this day, sadistically books real life couples in awkward infidelic (is that a word?) spots with other talent.

But I think in a way, Renee is protected. If they presented her with an embarrassing angle, she could walkout. Hypothetically, Moxley just signed a decent deal, so financially she could sit out her contract and the dispute would be so obvious to everyone that when the time came, Renee would have no problem finding work... it's not like the Sasha Banks situation where if her petulance did finally get her released, I would think AEW might not be so quick to snatch her up... what if they do and she gets butt-hurt over her booking in AEW? Same thing?

MikeInFla likes this.
  3. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

4. jmobrien68

Was happy to hear that AA Arn Anderson is getting into the podcast business with Conrad Thompson... I trust it will follow the same format he uses with Prichard, Schiavone, Bischoff & JR.
    Can't wait!

MikeInFla and Matthew Tate like this.
  5. AleYeah

AleYeah Forum Resident

Pretty cool to see both champs in one interview, and even mentioning the other promotion by name. Ric took it pretty easy on him there. Kinda disappointed he didn't rip on Backlund's ill-fitting cheap suit.

Matthew Tate and Sammy Banderas like this.
  6. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Of course you know that they started out at the same time training with Vern Gagne. They knew each other very well.

7. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Somehow I found myself watching Raw last night. Things have gotten really bad. Like Vince Russo WCW bad. Mysterio gives up the US belt because of injury ... and hands it back to the guy he beat (huh?) Since when is that a rule? Half the potential drama of the MITB cash-in was of course burnt up at the event (on the women's side), and the "Beast in the Bank" story line makes absolutely no sense. Lesnar "didn't know" he could cash in it any time. Then he found out, and realized that the element of surprise (and taking advantage of an opportunity) is the whole point of the concept. But then he announced he was cashing in last night anyway. And Cole said it 50 times to keep people watching ... and then they did a bait and switch and he didn't cash in anyway. That's like Fake Diesel and Fake Razor quality programming. Lesnar never. ever needed the briefcase to get a title shot. So giving it to him made absolutely no sense. And continues to make no sense.

Takeover 25 was of course awesome.

8. jmobrien68

I had my fingers, toes, legs and arms crossed that Riddle was gonna come out and f**k Lesnar up... part of our DNA as wrestling fans I guess... fantasy booking s**t you know will never happen.
    Getting harder and harder to justify the 5 hours I spend on Monday & Tuesday watching WWE programming... it's really, really bad and I'm afraid it will never get better.
    How horrible was that Flair/Evans match... if Charlotte can't make you look good you really must be the s**ts!

Matthew Tate and RayS like this.
  9. RayS

Yes, it was awful. Something went wrong right from the punch that started it. Charlotte looked pissed off (did Lacey connect?) and not in the mood to cooperate, leading to a lot of messy grappling with no point and botched spots. Was Becky interfering an audible just to get the awful thing over with?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

watch ROH instead. easy fix

11. RayS

I never miss NXT (easy not to miss it when it is on demand for all eternity). Hopefully that justifies my 10-something a month. I tried a couple of episodes of ROH and I didn't get hooked.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. Beatledust

Beatledust Forum Resident

I gave up on the current product, when WCW closed its doors. At this point, I don't have any reason to start watching again. If I need a pro wrestling fix, I'll just punch up a clip from the 80's.

905 and NaturalD like this.
  13. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

According to what I hear it was booked that way. It was supposed to look like a shoot, except that neither woman knows how to shoot. So they applied serious wrestling moves poorly. The best that they could do.
    This passes for "creative" these days. We put on better story lines in front of a hundred people than this.

14. jmobrien68

Last week's episode wasn't that great for a go home show... problem with nxt tapings is near the end, even that full sail crowd dies.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  15. calgary669

calgary669 Forum Resident

Read a crazy stat today. In the last year or so, only 40 percent of the advertised matches ended up happening. This is crazy bait and switch, just to try to get ratings.....

16. RayS

Last Wednesday’s show was the last of the taping cycle before the “PPV” yes.

17. Matthew Tate

which is why you can't stand raw now. the last 10 years or so most of the top wwe talent is from ROH

18. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

And ROH got them from the indys including us.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  19. Matthew Tate

true but its like wwe for almost the last 25 has no clue how to evaluate talent and figure out who to sign until they made it in tna, roh, ecw, etc

JamieC likes this.
  20. RayS

My disdain for the current state of Raw has nothing to do with the talent. The roster is overloaded with talent. It's the sub-mental story lines that don't make any sense and insult the audience's intelligence. It's the blatant disregard for their own championships. The Raw tag team champions aren't even worthy of appearing on Raw. The US belt has been hot potatoed with no rhyme or reason. The women's tag belts were created in grand style and immediately crapped on (and now are never defended). The (outgoing) Smackdown tag champs - The Hardys - were just fodder for a new call-up singles wrestler., reinforcing the notion that tag team wrestlers are second rate. And most of all, like WCW when Russo was in charge, it's the whole "we have no long-term plan for anything" booking that causes me to lose interest.

Meanwhile NXT often doesn't even go out of their way to establish a talent as a heel or babyface. They let it happen organically, and it works in most cases. The storylines are streamlined and make more sense, and neither the weekly shows nor the "PPV"s suffer from the bloat that all other WWE products do.

MikeInFla and Matthew Tate like this.
  21. AleYeah

AleYeah Forum Resident

I "cut the cord" and have been without satellite/cable for a little over a year now. (I don’t have the WWE Network, either.) I still skim through one site's Raw/Smackdown recaps, but never really feel like I’m missing out on much. I do check out scattered angles/matches online, but that’s about it.

Just randomly picking out something to b#### about, how long has it been since Braun was red hot? They shoulda pulled the trigger and put the strap on the guy for a spell.

RayS likes this.
  22. RayS

Braun did something to somebody. Just as you say, he was red hot and he suddenly was pulled from a title match. Then he was inexplicably turned heel ... and pretty quickly turned back. They struggle to book for him as a babyface, as they still make him an unrepentant bully. For two Wrestlemanias in a row he's been in gimmick matches (tag titles with the little kid, battle royale feud with the SNL guys). Someone in Stamford doesn't like him.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

24. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Goldberg V Undertaker.
    O M G
    Who thought this was a good idea? Over 120 degrees in the ring. If Bill isn't concussed I will be shocked. And I blame the ref and whoever was agenting at gorilla that it was allowed to continue. Bill tried to finish the match but had little motor control. Bill botched the big go home spot after dropping taker on his head doing a jackhammer. Taker decided to end it then and there and gave a choke slam from heck as Bill never really left his feet. I hope he is all right. I hope he never does this again. Taker was pizzed after the match
    I don't think it was worth it Bill, and with your wife and kid there. This should join Droz and Owen in the never seen again category.
    [​IMG]

Matthew Tate likes this.
  25. Osthagen

Osthagen Forum Resident

I think its the last time we'll see Bill Goldberg in the ring. Probably for the best.