Any Pro Wrestling Fans Here? V2.0

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by sirmikael, Apr 28, 2011.

1. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

I watched a bit of the Evolve show on WWE Network last night - the ring announcer left space for the crowd’s “one fall”. It takes 2 seconds per match.

JamieC likes this.
  2. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

haven't seen any MLW yet but was wondering of the quality with Tony and Cornette, surely it has to be decent with those guys but since I haven't seen it I do not know how regular they are.

3. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

Absolutely not but fighting With My Family gave me a new insight and certainly more respect

4. MikeInFla

Looks like Dark Side Of The Ring has been greenlit for another season. They already have 2 episodes done or near completion, one on Dino Bravo and one on Chris Benoit. Really interested in Dino Bravo. Don't know much about him other than I didn't care for him in the 80's. Not because he was a heel but because he was boring. Interested to learn about his mafia connection (if there was one).

Matthew Tate and FritzL like this.
  5. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Dino was a huge face in Canada. Really only went heel when he left Montreal for the WWF.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  6. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Ex-WWE Star "The Berzerker" Avoids Prison Time, Will Spend The Rest Of His Life In Assisted-Living - Wrestling Inc.
    Former WWE, WCW, AJPW and AWA star "The Berzerker" John Nord was sentenced to five years of probation on Monday in a Hennepin County, Minnesota court room, according to The Star Tribune.

The prosecutor argued that Nord should be sent to prison for more than 4 years because he represents a significant public safety threat because he continues to drive. Nord and his lawyer said he is currently in treatment and will spend the rest of his life in assisted-living facilities.

Hennepin County District Judge Jay Quam said the sentencing decision was a difficult one. He told Nord, "Life has handed you a lot of special things. On the other hand, it's taken away a lot of what makes you you."

Quam then placed Nord on five years of probation, under the condition that he stay in restrictive housing and do "no driving whatsoever." Nord was ordered to come back to court in three months to give an update on how he's doing. The judge said he wants to see Nord doing well.

Nord has been arrested seven time for driving under the influence of drugs, mostly painkillers. The Star Tribune noted that the 59 year old has ALS and uses a wheelchair these days, and has become a frequent abuser of prescription painkillers in recent years to cope with the damage to his body and brain from his pro wrestling career. His most recent arrest came on March 23 of this year. He was charged with felony driving while intoxicated/operating a car under the influence of a controlled substance, and misdemeanor driving while license revoked.

7. 905

905 Senior Member

Because of my age, I only knew Bravo from his late 80s WWF run.
    Watching WWWF All Star wrestling on the Network was an eye opener, I enjoyed Bravo as an athletic face in the late 70s.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  8. MikeInFla

Same here, I only knew him as the boring Frenchy Martin led strongman that came to the ring and put on lackluster matches. Which is why I am looking forward to the episode, so I can learn more about him. I think my favorite episode so far has been Gino Hernandez simply because I had no idea who he was. I am hoping the Dino Bravo episode gives me a new respect for him.

blutiga, Matthew Tate and 905 like this.
  9. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Dino became a roided freak in WWE. He was never that big. I watched him and Rick Martel in Canada for years and cannot describe how confused I was when he showed up as a heel.
    Bravo was allegedly seriously mobbed up and was involved with smuggling cigarettes. Executed in his chair at his home.

MikeInFla and Matthew Tate like this.
  10. MikeInFla

From 411:

According to a new report from Fightful, the plan within WWE may have always been to air NXT against AEW, it was just lucky that AEW ended up on the night that NXT currently airs. As we previously reported, there has been discussion with FOX of moving NXT to television, with the most likely candidate being FS1. WWE wants the show to go head-to-head with AEW, which announced yesterday that it will air Wednesdays on TNT at 8 PM ET starting October 2.

The latest report says that the plan was always to counter-program AEW’s weekly show, regardless of what night and time they ended up on. Several people backstage had already been told of the plan. WWE, of course, has yet to officially announce any plans for the yellow and black brand. A source in AEW claims that they knew this was going to happen, they just weren’t sure when the official announcement was coming.

Cody said at Fight for the Fallen that you can’t counter-program AEW, but WWE is taking steps to do just that.

Darkside Of The Ring:

It was reported earlier this week that Viceland has officially renewed their series Dark Side of the Ring for a second season, which was announced on Tuesday at the Television Critics Association press tour in Los Angeles by Viceland president Guy Slattery. Acccording to The Wrestling Observer Newsletter, there will be ten new documentaries for the new season. There were two that were filmed for the first season for Dino Bravo and Chris Benoit, but they weren’t completed as filming stopped when the ten weeks planned at the time were cut to six.

Interviews have yet to be conducted for the Benoit episode. Meanwhile, Viceland either has or will soon talk to Bravo’s widow for his episode. Brawl for All is also an expected topic, as they’ve already spoke to Bart Gunn for it. A story on Jimmy Snuka has also been discussed.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. MikeInFla

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

Harley Race has passed away.
    I was watching one of those Legends roundtables on the network this weekend... the one on legit bad-asses... of course Harley was featured and discussed.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

oh no :(

14. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Rest in peace, Harley. One of the all-time greats.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  15. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

shame wwe never gave him a dvd set

MikeInFla and Daniel Plainview like this.
  16. Daniel Plainview

17. FourWalledWorld

FourWalledWorld Forum Resident

Rest in peace Harley. A true legend of wrestling.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

Rest In Peace Harley. :(
    [​IMG]

19. AleYeah

AleYeah Forum Resident

Harley Race was a helluva pro wrestler. RIP.

20. AleYeah

AleYeah Forum Resident

Great old school stuff here from 2 of my alltime favorites.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. AleYeah

AleYeah Forum Resident

Pretty cool tribute video from the NWA:

22. MikeInFla

I remember always thinking of Harley as a very mean man. Not a "bad guy" wrestler but a MEAN one. I grew up thinking that. In the early 90's (or maybe even late 80's) I attended a house show. Our seats were on the floor near Gorilla position where all the wrestlers would walk out. Out came Harley and I said to him "ALL HAIL KING HARLEY!" He looked at me and smiled and it made my day. I had never seen him smile before and it was a nice gesture and he seemed gracious. RIP Harley Race.

23. AleYeah

AleYeah Forum Resident

Harley didn't always need to raise his voice, but when he did, you best bet it got your attention.

24. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

I was there for this. The lead up to be Kerry's partner was classic, and Race bellyaching about "Them's Flair's rules!" because over the top rope was legal. This is the way I remember Bruiser Brody. How many are gone now.....

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
  25. Daniel Plainview

Wish this were better quality. Hilarious.

Sammy Banderas and MikeInFla like this.