Any record stores in St. Louis, Missouri?

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by -Ben, Sep 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member Thread Starter

In a couple of weeks I'll be spending a few days in St. Louis.
    Any used LP or CD stores accessible by public transportation or a short cab ride from downtown St. Louis you can recommend?

2. Gerry

Gerry New Member

If it's still there, try Vintage Vinyl. It's not too far out on Delmar Blvd. in University City. They sometimes try to be a little bit too alternative for their own good; but when I lived there, I found quite a bit of good stuff there.

3. Damián

Damián Forum Hall Of Fame

DON'T- there won't be no LPs left in Missouri after he leaves! :eek:

4. -Ben

:laugh: Nah..I'll leave some behind... I'm only taking one extra suitcase.

Thanks Gerry

5. -Ben

I made it to Vintage Vinyl in University City.... twice!!
    Reasonable prices..a good stash of records was obtained!

Thanks Gerry!

6. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

Full Report!

Bob :D

7. -Ben

By popular demand.... :D

Epic Orange label Edgar Winter Group...Shock Treatment
    Loggins and Messina first LP
    Best of Neil Diamond!
    Donovan yellow Epic labels (MONO Mellow Yellow, Hardy Gurdy Man, and Barabajagal).
    The Ventures The Horse
    Turtles Mono Happy Together

plus one CD The Raspberries Collector Series (mastered by Ron Furmaneck)

8. Bob Lovely

Nice haul! :thumbsup: No 45's, I take it though?

Good Full Report...

Bob :)

9. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

Vintage Vinyl, as already mentioned, in University City (at St Louis city limits) has a pretty good selection of vinyl and Cd.

You should also make an effort to get to Euclid Records, in Webster Groves (southwest St Louis County), for a great selection and a lot of collectable vinyl.

10. -Ben

I did not see any 45s. :cry:

11. -Ben

Thanks...
    I only had a couple of days, and I'm back in DC now. I did see that store (Euclid) listed in the St. Louis yellow pages.

12. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

DOH-OH. That's what I get for doing a superficial thread scan - didn't realize this was already history by the time I got to it.

13. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

Ben, Sorry I did not see your thread sooner. I was born and raised in St. Louis and went to Washington University (it is in St. Louis not Washington state) which is very near Delmar. When in grad school I lived in U. City right near Delmar. Back then (the 70's) Street Side Records on Delmar was the big deal. About three or four times a year they would do 3 LP's for $10.00. Needless to say, poor grad students always waited for this sale. :)

14. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

Then you must surely remember, Alp, when Streetside had several center counters just chock-full (literally hundreds) of 1st-generation "import" (cough) record albums -- you know, the ones with photo copy inserts in white jackets -- for $3.00 apiece.

Some of them were almost listenable ... and who could have anticipated that we would actually pay a premium price for their digital cousins 15 years later?

15. Bob Lovely

Quick St. Louis Story: I grew up in Peoria, IL - 165 miles from St. Louis. We had friends who lived in Ferguson and later they lived in Bridgeton. The man we visited used to work as a Broadcast Engineer with my Dad in Peoria. In St. Louis, he worked for KMOX-TV. He got us into Pine Street Records in the 1960's. They were a "one-stop" distributor. They had rack after rack of LP's and tables with stacks of new 45's. I used to save my paper route money and buy 45's for $.59 ea. It was not unusual for me to walk out of there with (20-25) 45's after my Dad threw in a few bucks on top of my savings. It was a great place and we were fortunate to pay then wholesale prices - I loved it! Perhaps ALP remembers this place?

Bob :)

16. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

Bob and Ron, Thanks for the memories :) . I do not remember the center tables at SSR but I do remember their crazy sales that started at midnight. I certainly remember KMOX-TV and Pine Street but not PSR. As a kid I had no connection to the wholesale world for records.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.