Any reviews for Dell Plasma TVs?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by LeeS, Aug 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan Thread Starter

These have gotten very inexpensive...anyone have one and willing share their thoughts?

Thanks. :)

2. heavyd

heavyd Forum Resident

Sound & Vision magazine, page 47, September 2005. They review the Dell W4200 plasma HDTV very favorably compared to two others. According to the review:

PLUS

Crisp HDTV and DVD picture
    Natural color and contrast
    Excellent built-in HDTV tuner
    Clear, detailed onscreen menus

MINUS

Dark gray Black via S-video inputs (who uses S-video?)
    Onscreen guide lists wrong times (so what?)

$2600 MSRP ...I Think I'll be gettin' a Dell, Dude.

3. LeeS

Thanks heavyd. Just got the issue tonight. :)

Here's my concern. What if I get a pixel blowout? Dell customer service is getting low marks these days and I would hate to argue with them about a replacement. I wonder if they have an extended service plan...?

4. JohnT

JohnT Senior Member

I just did da 42 Maxem from Costco for <$2k. (HD, not ED). Theys a comin' down now :wave:.

5. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Flat screens are dropping. Even Samsung DLPs' which a year ago cost nearly 4K or now down to 2.5K for the latest model.

6. heavyd

heavyd Forum Resident

Extended Service Contracts are not widely recommended for most purchases. I think HDTV is an exception. The technology and reliability of such sets is getting better all the time, but still not in my comfort zone.

7. LeeS

I've been told that extended warrantees on plasmas are essential because you can have dropped pixels and need a replacement.

I never buy extended plans otherwise. Generally they are a profit engine for the retailer.

8. LeeS

I found a very positive review in The Perfect Vision as well. :)

9. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

What is the life expectancy for a plasma tv? My brother told me seven years. I would hate to drop $2500. and have junk in 7 years.

10. LeeS

The new plasmas are said to last 50K to 60K hours, which is roughly 15 years depending on how heavy a user you are.

11. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Well, 15 years would be over 8 hours per day, which is way more than I use my tv now.

12. Rando

Rando Active Member

Be sure to understand (and get it in writing), what the replacement policy is on dead pixels. Different companies have differing standards -- at least on LCD sets, most companies consider a few dead pixels "part of the manufacturing process", and have a set number of what they consider to be "acceptable" within that process.

13. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Whatever sets you are considering, you can mitigate an enormous amount of brand differences by hiring an ISF-trained calibrator to come out and adjust the set. It is the best $300-400 you'll ever spend, I promise.

And plasmas rarely have "dead pixels", unlike LCDs. It's typically more of a vertical row of failed cells.

14. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

The best DVD I've come across so far to check a plasma for stuck pizel-ettes is that first Superman film, Reeve type, all that white on Krypton will reveal any pixel-letes stuck on red or blue. Those are the only colours I've seen stuck on several in-store demos of plamas with defects.

I saw a Samsung plasma in Busted Buy that had, perhaps, 75 pixels stuck, most on red but some on blue. I've been discouraged by so many samples I've seen in stores. I've sat and watched several sets that had 2-5 stuck pixels so many times.

Superman is a good disc to reveal burn-in too. I saw the very DVD reveal that a 38" WS tube in a local store had two burned areas in the tube, proably from DVD menus forever... I'd take it along any place I shopped that will let you play before you buy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.