Any Ryley Walker fans here?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Houseplants, Dec 23, 2020.

1. seg763

seg763 Forum Resident

just got Course in Fable in the mail today, I ordered through Bandcamp, they also threw in, unannounced, the Michael Ripps cd for free

rob68 likes this.
  2. rob68

rob68 Senior Member

3. delzep

delzep Forum Resident

Anyone know when the Course In Fable record is getting a general release? Can only find the CD version

4. crozcat

crozcat Forum Resident

If you by "record" mean vinyl LP, it was (or should have been, haven't checked) released on April 30.
    The CD was a general release on April 2.

So far I've only listened on Spotify - like it a lot!

5. delzep

delzep Forum Resident

Looks like its out on the 14th of May or the 21st of May according to various sites

6. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

Not appealing to me yet, on first listen. Sounds a little more mainstream than what I'm used to from him.

7. james

james Summon The Queen

This cover of Phish’s “First Tube” is fantastic and not what I expected

JoFr likes this.
  8. rob68

rob68 Senior Member

If you listen to Ryley's music on Spotify, up at the top of his page you can send him direct money and a personal message through Paypal if you so choose. I don't buy music anymore, so I did this the other day. Nothing goes to Spotify. It all goes to Ryley. Just thought I'd mention it. :righton:

Electric and WHMusical like this.
  9. lothianlad

lothianlad Forum Resident

Listened to the new album several times now, and I still don't know what to make of it.

I guess I quite like it.

WHMusical likes this.
  10. delzep

delzep Forum Resident

I've tried a few times but it's not clicking. I'll still buy it though and give it a few spins. Really enjoy all of his other releases apart from the Lillywhite Sessions which never worked for me

Electric and WHMusical like this.
  11. TerryB

TerryB Forum Resident

“The Roundabout” has been popping up on my Spotify playlists for a few years, I’ve always dug it. Reminds me of Rodriguez. But I never went any deeper.
    My wife told me the other that there was a guy on our local community email list looking for “turntables and stuff.” I think she was hoping I’d clear out the garage, but I digress. I checked it out and saw the name Ryley Walker and recognized it but didn’t place it. I thought it was maybe a former student? So I googled him. Yup, that RW is living in my very small (pop ~1200) Vermont town.
    I guess we’re going to meet up in my garage sometime and talk hifi gear. I suppose I should check out more of his stuff, he fits firmly in the Venn diagram of stuff I ought to like.

zphage and JoFr like this.
  12. correctodad

correctodad Forum Resident

I've had the vinyl on order for a couple of months now but the release date keeps getting pushed back by a couple of weeks at a time. The latest update from my local record store is that it is due on 28th May but I'm not holding my breath.

13. Sudie

Sudie Forum Resident

Love him. His new album, Course In Fable, is soooo good. I’ve been listening to it on Bandcamp. It’s also on Spotify. It’s my favorite album this year so far.

rob68 likes this.
  14. delzep

delzep Forum Resident

Course In Fable LP is listed on a few European sellers on discogs. I asked in a local shop a few days ago and they said it was delayed until late June or early July

15. correctodad

Latest news from my record store is that the vinyl has been delayed again owing to the truck carrying the stock being involved in a crash! They are now confident that it will be available by 11th June. God only knows what condition it will be in if I do actually get a copy :)

16. dynamicalories

dynamicalories Forum Resident

17. Vibrolux_Reverb

Vibrolux_Reverb Forum Resident

I have talked with Ryley before and Primrose Green is an album that he really dislikes. Its kind of the like the Pink Floyd thing with Atom Heart Mother. It always blows my mind when an artist dislikes or regrets making an album that I think is very good or even brilliant.

18. correctodad

19. fairaintfair

fairaintfair I Buried Paul

Cool. Yeah, artists are never very qualified to judge their own works after release.

And wasn't it that Walker hated being boxed into a "folk artist from a UK tradition"? I get that box may appear lazy/embarrassing and he was also beginning his slide into some pretty bad years of touring poverty and horrific drug use. So I understand his dislike on those terms.

But, sadly, he does that style very well and authentically.

His latest is quite nice though. Love his Prog leanings!

rob68 and crozcat like this.
  20. delzep

delzep Forum Resident

Course In Fable LP is now in stock in my local shop

21. lothianlad

lothianlad Forum Resident

I read an interview with him lately where he said he wasn't fond of 'primrose green'. He didn't like how it was pitched and felt the tunes and the style were "too precious and too on the nose" he also added that everything he did since has more depth.

rob68 likes this.
  22. dynamicalories

dynamicalories Forum Resident

JoFr likes this.
  23. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

I take it back. Just today I finally got the CD in the mail. Wow! Right now I like it better than anything else I've heard of his.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2021
    rob68 likes this.
  24. WHMusical

WHMusical Chameleon Comedian Corinthian & Caricature

(Edit: I see back on page 1 it was early January....2021)
    I pre-ordered this from my Local back in Feb? A few months later they told me it was sold out, so I figured, oh well...bummer... Limited Husky Pants and all.

Nut I think it was just massively delayed due to covid~19 (World Wide Pandemic Y'all!) and all the back log at all record pressing plants--the few left...

Anyhow,

My Local came thru and my copy came in today!!! I couldn't believe it. My mouth dropped.. And then it dropped further and got locked into place...

when I saw the price sticker...sticker shock! (And i know my Local don't mark it up much at all for me...) still it was $47.99!!! Fur won LP!

I bought it of course, the record being almost a Fable by now already...

Just spun it first time thru, and I don't know what to make of it yet either, will take a few more spin for sure...

Right now I am spinning side 2 again, just by chance, and I accidentally moved the speed to 45rpm, s I am trying it at that speed....

Genesis on Speed.

cheers,

Last edited: Sep 8, 2021
  25. WHMusical

WHMusical Chameleon Comedian Corinthian & Caricature

Course In Fable (Husky Pants 2021)
    [​IMG]