Any Sloan fans here?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by warewolf95, Aug 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jalexander

jalexander Forum Resident

Just reviewing the new b-side collection and the box sets… are we missing the white single?

2. jalexander

Another heads up… I had been waiting to buy the new TUNS record because shipping was so expensive. I was able to click through to the TUNS store in KT8 and add it to my cart. Shipping for 3 records was pretty good. Adding a fourth almost doubled it.

kouzie likes this.
  3. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Any love for the Anyway Gang here? I kinda prefer it to TUNS, actually.

4. jalexander

Haven’t given too much attention to Anyway Gang, but in my few cursory listens, Chris has seemed kind of tangential to the group is he not? I don’t think he wrote any (or much) material, did he? I like Sam Roberts when I hear him, but never enough to buy an album.

If I’m a long-time Sloan nut, I’m a bigger Matt Murphy nut. Given he faded into obscurity, any material of his I can get is a major win. I like the Inbreds too, so TUNS is right in my wheelhouse.

Perhaps the greatest concert I ever saw was an early incarnation of Matt Murphy’s Flashing Lights before the organ player joined and with two drummers. They were a tour de force. There was one point in the show where Matt jumped off the (very small) stage in the middle of a guitar solo, ploughed into a cluster of three chairs while spinning around, sent two of the chairs flying and landed sitting down on the third… and he just kept playing. Coolest thing I ever saw and there were probably about 30 people there to witness it.

5. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

I believe Chris wrote and sang two songs on it, including "Fly Francisco" which is outstanding. You're right that he is less important to the collective, but on a song-by-song basis I prefer it to either TUNS record.

I was a Flashing Lights fan too but have a hard time imagining them without Gaven (?) playing tambourine during "Elevature," ha.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
    Revolver and jalexander like this.
  6. jalexander

Did anyone catch the Andrew show tonight? I’m biased as he’s always been my fave, but it was fabulous. Played all four Pretty Together tracks (including the b-side, Helen) which I’ve always thought was one of his strongest albums. Lots of good inter-song chat too.

Defrance, electricmetaphor and Paul K like this.
  7. electricmetaphor

electricmetaphor Forum Resident

how was the setlist for Andrew's show? I got lucky enough to get tickets to see the Strokes in person that night so I couldn't make it!

jalexander and twicks like this.
  8. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

Wow, I LOVE the Navy Blues era b-sides! I think "Work Cut Out" is a great tune (though I like "Out To Lunch" more). "Glad To Be Here" (a/k/a "Girl In Case") is another standout track.

jalexander likes this.
  9. finslaw

finslaw muzak to my ears

I am bummed all of these online concerts have been on the weekend, which is when I work. Is there a way to watch them now, even if I have to pay?

jalexander likes this.
  10. jalexander

Andrew’s is apparently available after the fact as a recording, but I’m not sure if you had to purchase your ticket in advance.

11. ElevateMeLater

ElevateMeLater Jesus of Cool

My B-Sides Win Vol. 2 arrived today, great pressing! Makes me miss their live shows so much.

intv7 likes this.
  12. jalexander

Mine came a few days ago too. I contacted Jay (their Merch guy, not Ferguson) and he said digital will be coming in a few weeks. Should be a link for those of us who bought vinyl, similar to Vol 1.

ElevateMeLater likes this.
  13. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Some TUNS tour dates announced for December...

Revolver and jalexander like this.
  14. jalexander

Awesome. I was sick last time they passed through and I haven’t seen Matt Murphy since Flashing Lights days.

Revolver likes this.
  15. Ryan Bedlack

Ryan Bedlack Forum Resident

I was fortunate enough to have taken a class taught by their manager for a semester, studying down in Nashville. We got to see a show, help with merch, and get a look inside their tour bus. Really cool experience, and awesome band!

Ryan Lux, jalexander and twicks like this.
  16. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Flashing Lights were so underrated.

jalexander, Revolver and twicks like this.
  17. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Just looked at some TUNS setlists from the last tour -- pretty cool that they broke out some Flashing Lights songs.

jalexander likes this.
  18. Thrillsville

Thrillsville Forum Resident

Is TUNS pronounced "t-uh-ns" (as in "tonnes") or "t-oo-ns" (as in "tunes")? Or do you pronounce each letter like SFU (Simon Fraser University) or UBC (University of British Columbia)?

I've only seen it printed but I've chosen "tunes" because of the "university" part of the acronym (Technical University of Nova Scotia) and it's a good pun for melodic songs.

19. jalexander

20. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

jalexander, UnknownEric and kouzie like this.
  21. UnknownEric

UnknownEric did not put the ram in the rama-lama-ding-dong

The mighty Sloan!!! I've seen them live more times than any other (major*) band. Fantastic songwriters. I'm probably one of the rare few who consider Action Pact to be one of their best albums as well. :D

I almost knocked Andrew Scott over at a record store in Buffalo back in 1999. Didn't see him coming and didn't realize who it was until he had left. "Wait... I recognize that guy!"

*I mean, there are a couple Buffalo indie bands I saw more often, but since nobody here would know them, they probably don't count. Ha.

22. jalexander

I saw them at the Tralf on the Navy Blues tour with the Deadly Snakes opening. Probably my favourite Sloan show ever. Maybe you were there too?

UnknownEric likes this.
  23. UnknownEric

UnknownEric did not put the ram in the rama-lama-ding-dong

Yes, I was! With my wife and my former bandmate. Great show.

jalexander likes this.
  24. jalexander

Thanks for this - I have a lot of listening to do!!!

25. jalexander

I interviewed Patrick before the show. I was taking an international business course and wrote a paper on their entry into the Japanese market.

UnknownEric likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.