Any Sloan fans here?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by warewolf95, Aug 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jalexander

jalexander Forum Resident

Oh, right. When it was nearly $40CDN with t shirt, exchange and shipping, I couldn't justify it, especially when they were a cheap 7" band for me back in the day.

2. sans_matty

sans_matty Forum Resident

Yeah, unfortunately their cheap vinyl days are long gone. I'm not a sucker for too many bands, but Sloan is one of em. Plus, it's a REALLY soft t-shirt.

factory44 likes this.
  3. factory44

factory44 Forum Resident

I was at the show in Philadelphia on the Double Cross tour when Milo from the Descendents came out and sang "Catalina" with Chris. After Milo jumped back in to the crowd he requested that Sloan play "I'm Not A Kid Anymore" (Milo loves Sloan). They couldn't play it because they hadn't rehearsed or played it since the Parallel Play tour. I'm not sure if they've played it since. Time to add it back in to the set list!

sixelsix, jalexander and sans_matty like this.
  4. sans_matty

Descendents are my other favorite band. That video damn near sent me to the hospital when I watched it. How awesome that you were there!!

factory44 likes this.
  5. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

I loved them as a kid but lost interest after Action Pact (which was a good album but it smoothed over all the things that made them unique). What would you all recommend as a newer album to check out? My favourite is Twice Removed.

6. sans_matty

After Action Pact? That would be Never Hear the End Of It. I was pretty fond of The Double Cross too.

Ryan Lux and factory44 like this.
  7. jalexander

Well,
    Here a few items from my Sloan vault. I'm particularly proud of my Bob 7" flexi... despite being in Sloan fan circles in the days of text-only Internet, no one I knew had even heard of this when I saw it at a record show in '96. Bought both copies (with the zine) and traded one for the Snob Shop EP also pictured here (pink marble vinyl!). It has a demo of I Can Feel It not on the Twice Removed Box Set.
    Also here is a signed copy of the Eric's Trip split which I bought at murderecords headquarters on my Halifax pilgrimage in 1995... before the break-up and Andrew's move to Toronto.
    Last, I was so excited when the Japanese releases came out... Twice Removed was (and might still be) my desert island disc, so the thought of a new song from the era was like manna from heaven. That must have been about 98/99. ‎
    [​IMG]

8. factory44

factory44 Forum Resident

Another great memory from that night was Jay asking me before the show what song I wanted to hear. They played my request, "Who You Talkin' To?". Jay couldn't remember all the words, so one of the crew members printed them out on a cheat sheet for him. I have that cheat sheet in my collection!

Pawnmower, Revolver and jalexander like this.
  9. jalexander

No other Sloan album is like Twice Removed. To move on, I would recommend Between the Bridges, Never Hear the End of It, and Commonwealth. These three all sound really cohesive to me. ‎

And One Chord to Another...
    And...‎

Ryan Lux likes this.
  10. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

11. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

My sweet Sloan belt buckle
    [​IMG]

Revolver likes this.
  12. Well I'm seeing them tonight for the first time in my little hometown. It's sold out - and I think that means only about 400~ or so people. Should be great!

13. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm seeing them next Tuesday in Atlanta! How was it?! :D

14. It was fantastic! I really love the way they're structuring the set (assuming it is the same for you) - playing One Chord to Another completely, taking a set break, then coming back with other songs from throughout their career. They're great entertainers and the music speaks for itself!

15. inaptitude

inaptitude Forum Resident

For those that haven't yet, check out the band TUNS.

jas621, Revolver, jalexander and 2 others like this.
  16. warewolf95

How long was the concert? Also, how did you find out about Sloan? I stumbled upon them completely by accident thanks to a tiny review of The Double Cross in the back of an issue of MOJO 4 years ago. My life was never the same. :D

bagofsoup likes this.
  17. Was almost 2 hours exactly including the 15 minute set break.

And I'm Canadian - I have to know about Sloan!

warewolf95 and bagofsoup like this.
  18. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

They played Philly a few weeks ago...same deal about 2 hours with a break in between. I've been a big fan since One Chord came out. My little guy's only 3 and is obsessed with them.

phillyal1, warewolf95 and factory44 like this.
  19. gottafeelin

gottafeelin Forum Resident

I wonder if Sloan's new Christmas single will ever be a stand-alone digital release. I don't want the vinyl, but would like the digital files...

20. jalexander

Same here. I have bought many wonderful Christmas singles in the past - Low and David Bazan come to mind. But this one was $24 Cdn plus $13 shipping. Love the red vinyl and postcards, but the price is too much for a 7".

21. jalexander

A great album. So happy to see the amazing Matt Murphy back in action. Wanted to see them at a tiny venue in my town, but two sick kids prevented that!

alylemoss and Revolver like this.
  22. warewolf95

Ok. Saw Sloan Tuesday night in Atlanta.

AMAZING!!!!

It was in a little bar with a stage smaller than my bedroom. There literally couldn't have been more than 150 people in the room - that's how small it was.

Got right against the stage close enough to grab Chris Murphy in a sleeper hold if I so desired - his bass was literally inches from my face :faint::yikes:

It was so cool watching them switch instruments too - they did it so flawlessly - sometimes mid song. Watching Chris Murphy drum is hilarious - he looks like a 10 year old that doesn't actually know how to drum at all....except he does. :D

Patrick was to my left and he had a crazy ZZ Top beard, lol.

Jay Ferguson of course to my right - scowling as ever. I eventually caught his eye for about 15 seconds during If It Feel Good (probably because I was headbanging like a lunatic) and watching a smile burst out on his face made my night.

Also, can't forget that it was Andrew Scott's birthday as well, so they switched up the second set a little bit, which I was very grateful for, and played some more familiar (to me) numbers. See, although I love the first three albums, the ones I listen to non-stop and that are ingrained in my head are Navy Blues through Parallel Play. So getting some tracks from them instead of more obscure stuff made me happy, if that makes sense.

Setlist:

Set 1 -
    One Chord to Another

Set 2 - (I don't remember the exact order)

Underwhelmed
    C'mon C'mon
    Money City Maniacs
    Who Taught You to Live Like That
    Unkind
    Burn For It
    Sinking Ships
    People Of The Sky
    Penpals
    Losing California
    The Other Man
    If It Feels Good Do It

Encore -
    I Can Feel It

I'm almost positive they played another song or two, but for the life of me I can't remember what. :p

I was bummed they only played one song from Between the Bridges (top 5 album for me by ANYONE) and none from Action Pact, but that's a small complaint considering how killer the show was.

10/10 all the way around!!!

smiley69, jalexander and thewolfshead like this.
  23. jalexander

Sounds like a great show.

I love Between the Bridges too. It flows so well… and despite the fact that I'm an old school Twice Removed fan, I think it's the one where they developed the sound they've carried throughout the rest of their career.

Also, that tour was a great one. They were playing every song off the album including Summer's my Season. It's also the only show I've ever been to where Andrew came out afterwards.

warewolf95 likes this.
  24. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

25. gottafeelin

gottafeelin Forum Resident

warewolf95 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.