Any Sloan fans here?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by warewolf95, Aug 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smiley69

smiley69 Forum Resident

Both first songs unveiled sound really good !

warewolf95 likes this.
  2. jalexander

jalexander Forum Resident

The first one was ok, but felt a bit uninspired... Patrick has written many great tunes in the past but has been churning out mid-tempo numbers for a while. Hope his other two numbers change it up a bit.

Chris’ tune, on the other hand, is great!

warewolf95 and Echoes71 like this.
  3. bloodlemons

bloodlemons Forum Resident

I'm going to see them on 4/22 in Seattle. Does anyone know if they'll be selling the colored vinyl on the tour?

warewolf95 likes this.
  4. Carl Steward

Carl Steward Forum Resident

I've been listening to a lot of Sloan in advance of their latest record and their Bay Area tour stop next month (missed them last time through). What a catalog! I ran through False Alarm and The Rest of My Life off Action Pact, probably their most criticized disc, and they just sounded great. The one record I have trouble with, aside from a few tracks, is Pretty Together. I do like the two singles off of it, but the rest seems too subdued for my tastes. Tell me another song I should fall in love with on that one. I can be convinced pretty easily regarding this wonderful band.

warewolf95 likes this.
  5. Stellar band. Between the bridges, Never Hear the End of It, action Pact and Pretty Together are my favorites. Their earlier albums are also strong even if they’re a bit inconsistent.

The four singers/writers angle is great and it adds to the richness of their records. Their humor/jokey presentations have not aged well for me... it’s a similar front for the Band Supergrass. After a certain age, it tend to detract from the music for me.

That said, Sloan does a great job in the writing and recording arena.

warewolf95 likes this.
  6. Echoes71

Echoes71 Forum Resident

Agreed about Patrick's recent output...There's a same-ness that has crept in, making his songs the ones I have least looked forward to on the last few albums...And I think his contributions to One Chord and Navy Blues are uniformly excellent!

Looking forward to hearing what Andrew pulls out of his hat for this release. In contrast to Patrick, his songwriting has only gotten more and more adventurous in recent years, so there's always a big x-factor that makes hearing his songs exciting.

Chris and Jay are more reliable...You typically know what to expect with those two!

I'll be seeing them up here in Maine in May. The One Chord 20th anniversary show I saw last year was excellent, so I'm looking forward to this show and the new album.

7. jalexander

It’s a fair comment that this one is a bit subdued. Chris had a great pop song, and a really odd rocker (this was even stranger live in a theatre) and then too ballads. Jay offered up three mellow songs as well, and was only just developing the pop sophistication he has now mastered.

Pat and Andrew really deliver, though. Apart from a big single, Patrick offers up two gorgeous love songs. I much prefer this side of Patrick to the mid-paced rockers that seem to be his default these days.

That leaves drummer Andrew and I love his three tracks on Pretty Together (as well as his bonus track). On this one his tunes have a real cinematic feel that he hasn’t gone after since, especially The Great Wall. Never Seeing the Ground has solid riffing and In the Movies has a great Pete Townsend groove. I’d recommend listening to just these three... loud.

8. factory44

factory44 Forum Resident

I love Pretty Together. It’s their most underrated album. Many of the songs are on the “subdued” side, but I think all those songs are fantastic. I think Jay is the MVP of the album. I remember some “fans” on the old Sloan message board giving Jay a hard time for “singing his heart out” on “Are You Giving Me Back My Love?” after the album was released. I don’t get it. Jay’s vocal is so heartfelt that it’s almost heartbreaking. I love melancholy music, and I think the song is a gem.

But, my favorite song on the album is “Who You Talkin’ To?”. I think it’s a perfect mid tempo pop song. I especially love when Chris sings the mid section of the song.

I’ve seen Sloan live about 30 times over the years. One of my most cherished memories of all those shows took place in Philadelphia on The Double Cross tour. Before the show Jay asked me what I’d like to hear them play. I requested “Who You Talkin’ To?”, and Jay said he’d ask the other guys. About half way through the show one of the roadies came out and taped down the lyrics for the song at Jay’s feet (he told me later that he’d forgotten some of the words). The guys played a great version of the song, with Jay checking his “cheat sheet” only once while singing.

What a great memory from one of my favorite bands!

9. ElevateMeLater

ElevateMeLater Jesus of Cool

Anybody else splurge and get the Sloan watch + poster pre-order?? The new singles have been amazaing so far.

warewolf95 likes this.
  10. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident Thread Starter

The Great Wall on Pretty Together is a favorite of mine.

Between the Bridges is my number obe fave album of theirs though. Its jist perfect. :)

Pawnmower and jalexander like this.
  11. factory44

factory44 Forum Resident

I ordered as soon as it went on sale!

ElevateMeLater and warewolf95 like this.
  12. Carl Steward

Taken under advisement. I always look forward to what Andrew has to offer, even if it bombs out. The opus on Commonwealth is spectacular in my opinion. I also really love his faux Dylan on Down in the Basement on Parallel Play.

I think this would be a good Sloan thread -- favorite songs by each band member.

factory44 and jalexander like this.
  13. Carl Steward

30 times. That's amazing. I'll give Pretty Together some more time. I remember not liking Parallel Play initially and it's now one of my favorites.

factory44 likes this.
  14. jalexander

Would that be the forum’s first member by member thread? I’m in. I’ve had individual playlists in iTunes for years. Despite my griping about Pat he really knocks it out of the park sometimes both on the rocker and soft sides.

15. jalexander

I’ve seen Sloan more than any other band, but not 30 times. Impressive!

I did make a pilgrimage to Halifax in early 1996. Although they were “broken up” at the time, I met three of them at the Murderecords office. Bought the Stove/Smother 7”. Has the clear vinyl of Twice Removed in my hand. Passed on it... wish I hadn’t.

I was in Toronto when they did a surprise gig for the White Single but couldn’t convince my friends to stay. :( at least I got the single.

factory44 likes this.
  16. Nathan L Vogel

Nathan L Vogel Well-Known Member

Seeing them soon will be working the cameras for the live shoot, great band!

phillyal1 and factory44 like this.
  17. factory44

factory44 Forum Resident

I’ll be seeing them in Pittsburgh and Cleveland in June. Can’t wait! Sloan ALWAYS put on great show.

18. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

I've only seen them once, myself. Before the show, Chris was talking to a local fan. During the gig, they performed "Who You Talkin' To" and brought that fan up on stage to sing Chris's part in the middle.

factory44 and jalexander like this.
  19. ElevateMeLater

Thoughts on the new song? Jay :righton:

phillyal1 likes this.
  20. jalexander

Best of the three imo. A strong Jay track.

ElevateMeLater likes this.
  21. ElevateMeLater

I love Jay's compositions so much. He always has a knack for making it feel like two songs meshed beautifully into one.

factory44 likes this.
  22. perplexed

perplexed Forum Resident

I dig Sloan. Saw them on the One Chord To Another anniversary tour at Bowery Ballroom in NYC

ElevateMeLater likes this.
  23. smiley69

smiley69 Forum Resident

24. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

The Canadian Beatles.

CoryS and smiley69 like this.
  25. factory44

factory44 Forum Resident

I’m the guy who said “they’re like The Beatles to me” in the Sloan documentary “Keepin’ The Tour Alive”.

Here’s the trailer that I’m in!

ElevateMeLater and Mr. D like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.