Any Steve Gunn love out there?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lilmoxie, Feb 16, 2019.

1. Lilmoxie

Lilmoxie Forum Resident Thread Starter

Steve Gunn has been putting out amazing records for around 5 years now.
    I would think his music would tick a lox of boxes for many who come here.
    Americana-ish with stunning guitar work.
    Like Kurt Vile with whom he worked but with out the cartoon slackerishness.
    Just really great, pleasant songs.
    I give you this one Spring Garden from 2015.

2. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani ~ Ghosts (2023 LP)

Seems to be quite a bit of Steve Gunn love around here. My favorites are the ones with Hiss Golden Messenger and with Mike Gangloff (listening to that one right now), but I'm probably a bit weird that way :)

AlienRendel likes this.
  3. Lilmoxie

I must be missing most of the threads he is mentioned in.

4. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani ~ Ghosts (2023 LP)

He's getting some mentions in the best new albums of 2019 thread, and there are threads for a couple of his albums, but didn't intend to discourage you from promoting a new thread, he's great, only pointing out that I've seen a lot of love around here, and a search confirms it with 13 pages of results (even if 3 of those pages are by me :)).

5. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

Yeah, have a couple of his albums and saw him play a few times. He's great.

6. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
  7. KAJ1971

KAJ1971 Ex-burger flipper/Sapper/book seller, Reg Nurse.

Definitely. Heard him because he did an LP with the Black Twig Pickers, who I'd heard with Jack Rose. Some great stuff. 'Seasonal Hire' from '15. Looking forward to his new one.

8. Ricky Lampoon

Ricky Lampoon Forum Resident

He contributed to an album by Michael Chapman a while ago called 50. An excellent album.

I have a ticket to see Steve Gunn in a couple of months. Looking forward to seeing him for the first time.

WHMusical likes this.
  9. CrombyMouse

CrombyMouse Forum Resident

He is good.

When someone tells that guitar music is dead, I reply by name-dropping Steve Gunn, Kevin Morby, Kurt Vile, etc.

Fred1 and hophedd like this.
  10. Ricky Lampoon

Steve Gunn first came to my attention via the UK magazine Uncut.

His album Way Out Weather was a 10 star review and a song was on one of their free CDs.

Loved the song; bought the album. Great guitar and a really cool, laid back vocal.

WHMusical likes this.
  11. AndyP19

AndyP19 Forum Resident

Just brilliant. Saw him live about a year ago at the De La Warr Pavillion down the coast from me at Bexhill on Sea. Nathan Bowles was support and also played drums plus the added bonus of the great Ciaran Nugent in the band on guitar.

Amazing stuff and agree with the post above if you think there is nothing good doing on at the moment then check out Steve Gunn

Fred1 likes this.
  12. Ricky Lampoon

Which album do you think is his best?

Which album, if any, would you avoid?

I only have two: Way Out Weather and 50 (Michael Chapman). Both excellent.

13. Ian Stephens

Ian Stephens Well-Known Member

Absolutely. Perhaps like Ricky Lampoon I first heard his music via an Uncut magazine cd ( I think it was "Milly's Garden" from "Way out weather"), which to my ears had a slight Rolling Stones vibe. His guitar work is exceptional and ranges across acoustic and electric styles from rock to folk to Americana and more. The latest album ("The unseen inbetween") seems to me to be a step up in the depth and maturity of the songwriting too. I think he's one of the most impressive musicians working today.

Ricky Lampoon likes this.
  14. Lilmoxie

I think the new one, The Unseen In Between is amazing as is Way Out Weather.
    Eyes on The Lines also great.
    I just picked up Parellelograms and it is worth it just for the track I posted the youtube clip above for. Spring Garden.
    The only other one I own is Dusted which is a 6 track tour only live lp.

15. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Any relation to Trey Gunn?

16. GK

GK Forum Resident

Saw him last night...he was great. His guitar player and bass player (Jim Elkington and Liam Cunningham) were in Jeff Tweedy's band for his Sunday afternoon Solid Sound Festival.

budwhite likes this.
  17. followmehome

followmehome Forum Resident

I caught him live a while ago, as he had Papercuts supporting him. I found him to be a bit of a snoozefest to be honest. Bit to earnest or serious or something for me, I dunno. I see he's got Valley Maker supporting on him his next Euro tour, who is great.

18. jaxpads

jaxpads Friendly Listener

Big fan of Way Out Weather and Eyes on the Lines. Ancient Jules is just a great song.

CrombyMouse likes this.
  19. GK

GK Forum Resident

Saw him in a TINY club...it's a great Pittsburgh venue and super intimate. I could see him being a little boring in a larger room. In fact, I saw him open for Dinosaur Jr in a good sized club a few years ago and I had completely forgotten about it.

20. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

The new release Livin’ In Between is excellent. It’s three cover songs starting with Motion Pictures (For Carrie) and finishing with two from the Lagniappe Sessions.

[​IMG]

Ian S, budwhite and zakyfarms like this.
  21. polchik

polchik Forum Resident

yup!

listening to him right now!

kind of forgot about him .... and now, want to know what album this song is off of lol

CrombyMouse likes this.
  22. OmIsWhereTheHeartIs

OmIsWhereTheHeartIs Forum Resident

I have not beyond his album with Michael Chapman. I will check him out one day as I really enjoyed 50. Also I am happy someone is giving some light to Michael Chapman who I absolutely love!

WHMusical likes this.
  23. Ian S

Ian S Forum Resident

24. Skydog7

Skydog7 Forum Resident

I typically add Chris Forsyth to this list. (Morby is new to me, thanks for the recommendation.)

25. CrombyMouse

CrombyMouse Forum Resident

Cheers! Big up urself!