Any Swans fans here? (Michael Gira, Jarboe)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chris M, Apr 15, 2011.

1. Jeff K

Jeff K Well-Known Member

From what I understand, Jarboe was willing to take part in the Swans comeback and was disappointed at not being asked. Probably something to do with Gira being a married man these days.

2. Damian72

Damian72 Formerly Suede Pickle

I've often been curious about the relationship between the two. If Gira's song "You See Through Me" from Drainland is any indication things got pretty rough but that was a long time ago. That song definitely falls in the area of "Should I be hearing this?"

3. Jeff K

Jeff K Well-Known Member

Jarboe and Gira were definitely a couple at one time. Of course, not the average type couple but a couple nevertheless.

4. moops

moops Senior Member

5. frank3si

frank3si Forum Resident

I really love the early Swans material, and saw that lineup frequently. They were an awesome force live. Gira and I used to correspond a bit (back in the days before email!) - he sent me some copies of lyrics. In fact, my copy of Filth is right here with some corr and there's nothing controversial or private so, for your amusement...

[​IMG]

WalterDigsTunes, Moth and Vern like this.
  6. frank3si

frank3si Forum Resident

I will add that an early Jarboe-era Swans show at Revival in Philadelphia was one of the three loudest shows I've ever seen (joining a mid-80s Motorhead gig at the Tower Theater and Kraftwerk at Metropolis in Montreal). Mid-set Swans blew the power and the transition from this huge roar to silence was frightening and disorienting - it was like the air was sucked right out of the club...

7. dsky

dsky Little Blue Light

I saw Swans in Auckland, New Zealand last year. First time I'd seen them. Absolutely amazing show.

I enjoy the all the different styles of Swans but it's those crushing early albums which I view as classic Swans. Holy Money and Greed were the pinnacle for me, then Children of God and Filth depending on my mood. Seldom in the mood for Cop but it's great when the (deep black,) mood does take me.

Looking forward to the new album. Wonderful band.

8. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Got my introduction to Swans with White Light from the Mouth of Infinity. Loved the dark sense of humor with that one and the subsequent releases were good, too, through Soundtracks for the Blind. The newest one, though, My Father Will Guide Me up a Rope to the Sky kind of leaves me cold and bored (listening with headphones). I'll have to give it another listen over my speakers/main system. I'm also looking for a copy of Burning World to try that one out - I've read that it's a less noisy affair - a change of pace for them at that time.

9. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Big fan here.

I tend to like the latter stuff more than the early, though. That's probably blasphemy, but sorry. To me, the band started hitting their mark around the time of Children of God. I wasn't a big fan of the newest one -- I understand what Gira was going for, but for me, it didn't work.

Kristofa likes this.
  10. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam Thread Starter

bzfgt likes this.
  11. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

"Burning World" is much maligned but I always liked it. Sounds a lot like "White Light". I just wish Gira would give "Soundtracks" a vinyl release.

GodShifter likes this.
  12. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Agreed. Burning World came out during the time I was working in the record store. We played that one a lot. Most Swans fans hated it (because it was on a major, I assume), but I love it. "God Damn the Sun" and many others from that one are great as far as I'm concerned.

13. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

'Blind' is truly a beautiful song, but the funny thing is it's not a 'true' Swans songs. It's from Gira's Drainland lp from 95. But apparently it was worked up for the White Light from the Mouth Infinity sessions, but wasn't included on that album for whatever reason.

14. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

G'day,

I bought Children Of God on vinyl back in the day ... still have it, somewhere ... liked it, quite different to what I was used to at the time. But haven't really listened to anything from 'em since. Gunna have to rectify that.

--Geoff

15. seg763

seg763 Senior Member

Pitchfork has a review for "We Rose From Your Bed With the Sun in Our Head" this was initially a handmade live cd available only thru Young God records that sold out immediately. The pitchfork review shows different cover artwork and implies this will be a regular commercial release. aside from the pitchfork review I see no evidence on Young God Records or Amazon of a "regular" release. Anyone else know about this?

nevermind, Pitchfork has a couple links, looks like it's due May 29

http://www.amazon.com/Rose-Your-Bed-With-Head/dp/B007TW7BW2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1336497266&sr=8-1

16. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

I just got it recently and I think it's great. Very tuneful by Swans standards. I read that Gira doesn't like it, particularly his own singing. However, his vocals seem not too different to me, and certainly not worse than on the other albums, as far as I can percieve. His singing is surely an acquired taste anyhow - but I would say it fits the atmosphere of the music and lyrics well. I particularly liked "Saved" and "God Damn the Sun" right away, and the whole album grew on me quickly - only two plays and I was hooked.

GodShifter likes this.
  17. Jeff K

Jeff K Well-Known Member

18. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

19. I don't really know a lot about Swans but years ago I bought a CD Single of "Love will tear us apart" (my favourite band is Joy Division).

I suspect this Swans CD single is now pretty rare and possibly valuable. Can any Swans fans confirm this?

20. mkwant

mkwant Forum Resident

Did anyone see the new album details? 2CD/3LP (120 minutes, 11 tracks), featuring Karen O, Jarboe (!) and others.

Lots more info here.

I love the album artwork, best I've seen in a while I think:

[​IMG]

21. mkwant

mkwant Forum Resident

It's available from the young god records website, here.

22. Coldacre

Coldacre Well-Known Member

big fan of their early stuff. the "Filth" album from 1983 is my favourite. its like a brother record to Sonic Youth's "Confusion Is Sex"----- just relentless in their abrasiveness.
    love 'em! "White Light..." has some amazing songs on it too.

23. Coldacre

Coldacre Well-Known Member

very awesome! :righton:

24. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Thanks.:)

25. mkwant

mkwant Forum Resident

You're welcome! Great cover as well by the way:

[​IMG]