Any Ted Lasso fans here?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Detroit Rock Citizen, Aug 7, 2021.

1. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

This week's episode was good. The scene with Ted and his mom near the end was one of the best scenes from S3. I wasn't planning on being affected that much, but that got to me pretty good.

2. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

Many tears were shed in my household, great episode!

3. Lars Medley

Lars Medley I lost on Jeopardy!

That was a pretty long episode! Anyone feel like this show - especially the last two seasons - would benefit from the episodes being edited into 30-40 minute chunks? I feel like this episode could have been a 35 minute Ted/Beard/Nate episode and a 35 minute Keely/Roy/Jamie episode. I guess there was the thematic link of 'relationships with moms' between the two. Also, I know they were aiming for 'Oedipal complex' with Jamie's arc but they may have been a bit too on the nose...

4. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

Yeah I feel like Ted usually doesn’t have much to do, but I was sobbing during that scene… terrific acting on his part and really just about everyone this episode...

5. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

I've been disappointed with the 3rd season overall, but the penultimate episode was very good.

They got the spirit of Manchester right when those 3 imps were taking the p*ss with Jamie.

jbmcb and Detroit Rock Citizen like this.
  6. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

"Good lads."

dougotte likes this.
  7. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Those weren't noses. :shh:

Lars Medley likes this.
  8. Tom Schreck

Tom Schreck Forum Resident

Predictions for the final episode? They have a LOT of plot arcs to wrap up if this is indeed the finale of the whole show.

9. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Ted quits and goes home to his family.

Richmond win whatever football tournament they’re currently playing.

Nate is forgiven by all and becomes head coach in Ted’s absence.

Keeley can’t pick between Roy and Jamie and decides to just have both. :D

Rebecca either becomes pregnant or adopts a baby.

Rupert is rejected by everyone and ends up sad and alone.

Coach Beard is hit by a bus. (wishful thinking on my part).

Everybody is happy at the end giving Hannah Waddingham yet another chance to belt out a song.

Looks like the finale will be around 1 hour 15 minutes according to Apple.

John Murray and Lars Medley like this.
  10. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

@Bobby Morrow said:
    Ted quits and goes home to his family. -- Agree

Richmond win whatever football tournament they’re currently playing. -- Agree plus see next prediction

Nate is forgiven by all and becomes head coach in Ted’s absence. -- Nate gives coaching tips which allow Richmond to beat his former team.

Keeley can’t pick between Roy and Jamie and decides to just have both. :D -- She ends up with Roy.

Rebecca either becomes pregnant or adopts a baby. -- She ends up as step-mom to the daughter of the guy on the Amsterdam house boat.

Rupert is rejected by everyone and ends up sad and alone. -- Maybe

(end of post clipped.)

My predictions above in red.

Lars Medley and mike s in nyc like this.
  11. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

Anybody else think that the world created in Ted Lasso is just... kind of weird?

Football/soccer is not accurately depicted. The London of the show doesn't feel all that much like actual London. People in general often don't act/behave as normal people might in the particular situations. Yet I do find it to be a compelling enough world to watch each week (even if I don't think the show is as good as it used to be), which I guess says something.

12. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Compared to reality, I’d love to spend some time there !

13. SmallDarkCloud

SmallDarkCloud Forum Resident

I think Rupert has been consistently depicted as being basically alone, with no real friends, only alienated exes, flunkies, and models. He doesn't seem to have enough self-awareness to be sad about it, or he does and doesn't care.

14. Bobby Morrow

Agree with much of this. While Ted Lasso has rarely been realistic, you can’t help but smile once in a while. I genuinely think the first series was excellent and that subsequent episodes have gone downhill. As I’ve said before though, that could just be me tiring of this particular ‘world’.

I’m glad the show is ending (for now) however. I’ve watched every episode, but it’s more of a chore nowadays.

15. AlecA

AlecA Forum Resident

I think the big game will end in a tie. It would echo Ted’s first press conference (his comment about win or lose and then being reminded about ties) as well as his mother’s comments about “sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, but most of the time you tie” (or something to that effect) in the latest episode.

16. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

I don't see Nate leaping over Roy to become head coach when Ted goes back to America. Nate coming back and making things right and being an assistant again is all the redemption he needs (or deserves). Roy stepping up and doing press conferences is setting the stage for if they try to keep this going in a spinoff without Sudeikis.

Lars Medley likes this.
  17. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

Good points, I forgot about those, and makes total sense.

18. mike s in nyc

mike s in nyc Forum Resident

,i think up to now each episode was released, eastern time in the us, at 9 pm on tuesday ?
    i see for this one, its midnight tuesday into wednesday--- only a half hour from now, but too late here for me to watch a one hour 15 min episode tonight,

will have to watch tomorrow night (no spoilers everyone, please, unless you hide it behind a spoiler button? :) )

i expect i will laugh, then cry, then laugh, then cry again

19. Tom Schreck

Tom Schreck Forum Resident

Just finished. Liked it.

I think there were probably at least 5x too many callbacks and references to past episodes, to the point where it felt entirely self-satisfied, but I suppose that's one of the ways to do a finale. But I dare say, with the inconsistent writing across seasons 2 and 3, that this sort of victory lap "wasn't earned" (to cite what has become a dreadfully overused cliche in discussions of this season).

The bits with Rupert felt over-the-top and almost cartoonish. And Beard and Jane getting together once and for all doesn't feel like a win to me. Furthermore, they never really explained Nate's quitting, nor what happened with Rupert & his assistant (and Bex), nor their conversation with Rebecca, nor Ted's resignation. As a few predicted, a lot of big events happened off-screen and we were supposed to fill in the blanks. And quite a few plot threads got no more closure than a perfunctory nod. At times it felt like the writer's room just focused on a checklist of references, characters, and arcs and worked their way down.

But there was enough soccer here in this episode, and enough heart, that I couldn't help but like it. And the writing was at least coherent, if not a bit predictable and maudlin at times.

I still stand by each point in my too-long criticism of the show's direction a few pages back on this thread. A relatively strong end to the season (series?) doesn't do all the work of redeeming this season of TV or the whole show in my eyes. It's very far from the perfect show. I'm grateful for the bits I've enjoyed, I suppose. But I surely hope it doesn't get renewed for a fourth.

Lars Medley and EwaWoowa like this.
  20. mike s in nyc

mike s in nyc Forum Resident

I thought it was a great and emotional ending.... very true to the 'lasso-ness' of the whole thing, and very very well done

intv7, pghmusiclover and applebonkerz like this.
  21. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

I thought it was an overall lovely ending to the show…

I think my favorite conclusion was Rebecca’s solution to selling/not selling the team!

intv7 and mike s in nyc like this.
  22. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Loved this season and the finale was perfect especially the farewell to coach Lasso with the team doing some Sound Of Music.

pghmusiclover likes this.
  23. Deja Doh

Deja Doh QUARANTINED

Ted Lasso was very good its first season, then it wasn't. Gilligan's Island was better in year 2.

EwaWoowa likes this.
  24. Bobby Morrow

It was a nice touch to bring back all the characters who’d played significant roles for the final episode.

Unfortunately, as usual, Ted’s scenes with his son fell flat as the kid is a terrible actor. He’s as stiff as a board! Ted was curiously unemotional throughout too.

I liked the fact that this really was a finale. It’d be quite difficult to bring the whole gang together again. I wouldn’t rule out a spin-off though. Hannah Waddingham seems desperate to continue playing Rebecca.

As an episode it was pleasant to watch, but like most of the season 3, it was overly sentimental and bereft of genuinely funny moments. Some of the characters were short-changed at the end too, I thought.

Lars Medley likes this.
  25. fspringer

fspringer Forum Resident

I've been watching all along. As with most, recognize the first season as great TV, the next two a bit more spotty. Still, I'm going to miss it. The last episode brought that home - well done. The writing remained choppy, but the spirit and intent of the show remained intact. Sometimes it's better to leave on a high note like that. I think a story line like Jamie and his father in recovery would have held a lot more emotional weight than a lot of the other side stories. But by the third season, there were so many sub-plots going on that I found it hard to keep up, or care for many of them.

Lars Medley likes this.