Any Ted Lasso fans here?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Detroit Rock Citizen, Aug 7, 2021.

1. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

This show is running on empty, and I just want it to end. The initial premise seems to have simply stalled at some point, with little to no forward momentum. Now I'm not going to remember it as fondly as I might have.

EwaWoowa and Bobby Morrow like this.
  2. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I do quite like the blunt Dutchman Jan Maas. He’s not had much to do throughout the whole 3 seasons. Hopefully he’ll get his own hour long episode soon.:D

3. Bobby Morrow

I blamed myself for binge watching the first 2 seasons. Thought I’d just gotten sick of it. Glad it’s not just me. One of the biggest casualties of the show is Ted himself. He’s become lost in these sprawling episodes. In fact, I’d go as far as to say that none of the characters have improved as the seasons have gone on.

4. Bobby Morrow

You know, the more he has to do, the less I like Coach Beard.

Lars Medley likes this.
  5. mike s in nyc

mike s in nyc Forum Resident

For me, I think it started strong, and ...... its still a great show! Yeah, its less focused on the title character, perhaps, but I still really enjoy the show, and find it just as moving, charming and funny as I did when it started, more or less. Yeah, a few scenes fell flat here and there (the red string practice strategy, for one) but overall, I'm still really looking forward to each episode.

Lonson, AudioEnz, slybry2 and 5 others like this.
  6. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

He was best as a deadpan, erudite, sarcastic foil for Ted. When he emotes, or when there's a scene related to his relationship, it seems like a different character.

In one episode, Ted asked him for the day's Wordle, and Beard replied "ethic." I wondered if it had actually appeared in Wordle. A few weeks later, it did!

Lars Medley likes this.
  7. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital Thread Starter

Who else could have pulled off the Joe Walsh vs. Jimmy Page gag. Say what you want, but it was classic.

Last edited: May 16, 2023
    Myke, '05Train and intv7 like this.
  8. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

Every episode this season has been phenomenal, IMO.

Yes, it does seem like Ted is a little bit of a side character in recent weeks, but I'm sure the story is going to circle back to where he's the focal point, and I firmly believe that all the recent stories revolving around Nate, Keeley, Rebecca, etc. will pay off in the end.

9. SmallDarkCloud

SmallDarkCloud Forum Resident

In defense of Coach Beard, I loved the episode where he (kind of accidentally) ended up at a rave, taking ecstasy.

10. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

I’ve actually enjoyed the show going deeper with the supporting characters. However, the rhythm and flow of the show shifted in such a way that the lengthier episodes feel too long. My hunch is that having established the show as a half hour the writers just don’t have the experience at skillfully constructing longer episodes with the right flow. There’s a discipline to crafting a 30 minute vs. a 60 minute show. That said, I’ve marveled at how much some of the recent generation of 30 minute streaming and premium cable shows can pack into 30 commercial free minutes.

pghmusiclover and Lars Medley like this.
  11. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

I agree it was a great scene. And, Beard is the character who would have those opinions. His character is usually so phlegmatic, it seemed odd that he was ranting.

At the end, I wished he or someone would have brought up Fripp!

12. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

13. MikaelaArsenault

14. MikaelaArsenault

15. MikaelaArsenault

16. Detroit Rock Citizen

Trent Crim is no longer at the press conferences. Higgins would have brought up Kenny Burrell.

dougotte and SmallDarkCloud like this.
  17. MikaelaArsenault

18. MikaelaArsenault

19. Detroit Rock Citizen

Going to watch the new Ted now.

20. Detroit Rock Citizen

and I loved it.

21. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Once again an episode I truly enjoyed

22. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

Once again, a new episode with parts that make no sense. Rupert seemed like a completely different character in that episode than he had been for pretty much the entire series. Danny is all of a sudden a jerk for no reason. Nate's dad is suddenly Mr. Supportive. As much as I loved the first two seasons of this show, I cannot believe what a letdown this third season has been. This was yet another episode where I didn't laugh once.

EwaWoowa likes this.
  23. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Made sense to me. Rupert is different because it's likely his current wife has stood up to his antics, as signified by his new assistant. Danny was a jerk because he was suddenly playing for Mexico, which is now "his team," and so any other international player (e.g.,Van Damme) is an enemy. Nate's Dad has been slowly evolving over the season, but I can see that it does take paying a bit more attention to see that.

JohnK

intv7, greenhorn, Lonson and 3 others like this.
  24. Detroit Rock Citizen

At least someone has the capacity for deeper thought and a sense of humor.

25. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

I enjoyed the episode also! I was happy to see Phoebe back and loved how she pointed out Roy and Jamie are best friends!!!

slybry2 and Detroit Rock Citizen like this.