Any TFF (Tears for Fears) fans out there?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by McGuy, Jan 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

Big fan of them especially The Seeds of Love. I got so tired of hearing the 2 singles repeated over radio for years. So I did myself a service and looked up their catalogs.

JulesRules likes this.
  2. spintheblack72

spintheblack72 Forum Resident

Got the first 3 albums on vinyl, although I knew who they were and knew some of the songs it was SOL that got me to become a fan and really fell under the spell of that album when it was first released and then went and bought the CD's of The Hurting & SFTBC.

Over the years I've realised though still having a soft spot that maybe the first 2 are superior (Mad World is one of the best songs of the 80's) and Big chair is chocked full of memorable tunes.

I did really like the psychedelic feel of Seeds and still enjoy it when I stick it on, my Wife isn't such a fan and prefers the first 2. I think is Roland is quite an under appreciated writer, anyone who comes up with the line " the dreams in which I'm dying are the best I've ever had" deserves some acclaim.

Did really enjoy the recent broadcast on the BBC of their intimate concert but one thing is clear although RO still has fair set of pipes, poor Curt's voice is pretty shot. I guess it's better for TFF to have the 2 original members rather than him just grab a bunch of session musicians and then try and claim to be the band.

3. McGuy

McGuy All Mc, all the time... Thread Starter

guess I'm getting SoL tomorrow! Is the MFSL recording really that much better? I mean, for $30, can't go wrong...

4. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

Yep, love this band. I wish they had more material, but Songs from the Big Chair, The Seeds of Love and Everybody Loves a Happy Ending are all great records. And there is plenty of good stuff from The Hurting and the two 90's records as well.

JDeanB and JulesRules like this.
  5. Zephead2112

Zephead2112 Forum Resident

Most definitely! In fact I took delivery of 'Seeds' on original CD just yesterday and played it through Sonos and the Pono in the car. The production job on that album is just wonderful and I have to say that 'Woman In Chains' is probably my favourite TFF track. Like others, I've been waiting for the Steven Wilson remix to come out as I had the album on cassette back in the 80's. I couldn't wait any longer so purchased it on CD for £2.99 on Discogs. Glad I did. I have a recent live at the BBC set recorded on Sky that I am yet to watch; looking forward to that.

For rock fans such as myself who were listening to Van Halen, Whitesnake, AC/DC, Def Leppard in the 80's, SFTBC really stood out as a fantastic listening diversion. As they say, quality will out.

6. Donfrance

Donfrance As honest as a politician.

Fan is perhaps a too big a word. A respectful admirer would be the correct term in my case.

mark winstanley likes this.
  7. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

They are cover feature artist in this months Classic Pop magazine from U.K.

I picked it up at my local B&N and there are features on SFTBC and TSOL albums along with a current interview about the new comp and forthcoming album this spring.

JulesRules and jamesc like this.
  8. caupina

caupina Forum Resident

Great band, one of my favorites along with Simply Red. "Seeds of Love" is such outstanding album, didn't know there was an MSFL edition though, I thought SFTBC was the only one issued by them...and speaking of SFTBC grab the BR-A issue, it sounds fantastic :righton:

9. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

Recent BBC concert...

JeffMo likes this.
  10. petercw2

petercw2 Forum Resident

Hate to be the barer of bad opinion, but I've been really disappointed by this pressing. It's all kinds of flat and just not as involving as I'd hoped. It almost sounds like they used a master never intended for vinyl for the pressing. Maybe I just got a bad one. Interested in hearing your opinion when you get yours.

11. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

Everything up to Elemental is essential listening, IMO. A great band.

walrus and McGuy like this.
  12. McGuy

just got the MFSL copy of Sowing - amazing! and it was FREE

Sammy Banderas likes this.
  13. McGuy

and I didn't know Phil played drums on one or more of the songs from Sowing. cool...

ARK and Sammy Banderas like this.
  14. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

Definitely a fan. I have a The Hurting and SFTBC on vinyl, and Seeds of Love on CD. Then I stopped. I should probably pick up Elemental...

JeffMo likes this.
  15. Yeah he's been part of the band again since the last album. Hopefully the new album won't be as poorly mastered as the last one. I just want them to finish the latest studio album and finally get their **** together and release Seeds deluxe. It's been completely for over two years.

16. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I really like them. My favorites songs are Everybody Wants to Rule the World and Head over Heels.

17. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

Introduced to them and their debut album The Hurting thanks to 102.1FM cfny the spirit of radio in beautiful downtown Brampton ON.
    Well, I'll be playing "Mad World" in my cerebral jukebox for a while.
    And that's not a bad thing at all.

McGuy likes this.
  18. Moshe

Moshe "Silent in four languages."

Love Tears For Fears.
    First three albums are my favorites.
    Especially Seeds of Love.

JulesRules, Sammy Banderas and McGuy like this.
  19. mickey g

mickey g Forum Resident

Oh yeah ! I really didn't "get" New Wave music until I heard Pale Shelter, Change & TD's One of Our Submarines. Last saw them at the Beacon Theater for the "Elemental" tour. I would like to see them again.

timind and McGuy like this.
  20. JannL

JannL Forum Resident

When I read the lyrics to I Love You But I'm Lost, Roland still has it as a songwriter. There is a depth there that you have to pay attention to and try to decipher what he's truly saying in some of the lyrics, as it's obviously personal. He probably wrote this song a couple of years ago, because they've been working on the new album for years. But in light of his wife passing away last July, there is even greater poignancy to the last line , "All we needed was some time." I'm still disappointed his vocals are buried in the mix. His voice is one of the great things about Tears for Fears.

"I Love You But I'm Lost"

Lost in the maze of the back streets I struggled
    Fighting my way through a whole lotta trouble
    Too many people were talking without moving their mouths
    Smell the gaze, smell the lights, ever wondered
    Bout the lies, that have stolen my thunder
    In the haze of my mind all the wires were crossed
    I love you but I'm lost

Complain to the spark of an ember, to a fire on the 5th of November
    We are straight from the light and now we count the dots
    I love you but I'm lost
    I love you but I'm lost

Look at the marks on your arms of colors, how you like to make them pay
    These are the reasons why your life is not quite what it was
    In a dream, at the edge of a river
    Where they swam, and I watched you shiver
    Came to life in my arms and then turned to dust
    I love you but I'm lost

Complain to the spark of an ember, to a fire on the 5th of November
    We are straight from the light and now we count the dots
    I love you but I'm lost
    I love you but I'm lost

All we needed was some time [x4]

21. SurrealCereal

SurrealCereal Forum Resident

In general, I'm not really a fan, but I love "Everybody Wants to Rule the World."

OptimisticGoat likes this.
  22. magister345

magister345 Forum Resident

Patiently awaiting "Sowing the seeds of love" in 5.1.

Is it ever going to happen?

Great band, I own almost all of their records!

23. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

Forgot where I heard it from but it seems it's already done. Many of us were hoping it would release in 2017 but it didn't.

JulesRules likes this.
  24. fozl1986

fozl1986 Forum Resident

All of their stuff is great. Roland Orzabal's Solo Album could go under the Name TFF too...

25. Adrian Adkins

Adrian Adkins Forum Resident

Have been back together since 2004.

Sammy Banderas likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.