Any TFF (Tears for Fears) fans out there?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by McGuy, Jan 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

i love that album, but the hurting was my favourite of theirs

2. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

ditto

3. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

i am big fan of their early work from the hurting, and a few of the songs off of songs from the big chair.
    the rest has been pretty hit and miss.

once in awhile there's a decent single, and some remixes.. but not so much anymore.

it will be interesting to hear the new album later this year, or next year.

later

4. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

I believe the deluxes have been coming out on the 30th anniversaries of the album releases. So 2019 for Seeds of Love I'd guess.

5. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Always thought that was a curious decision. Great album though. I wish it was available on streaming so I could turn other people on to it. I know a lot of big TFF fans who have no idea this album even exists.

6. Crimson jon

Crimson jon Forum Resident

Head over heels is one of my favorite songs of all time so yes I count as a fan.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  7. omikron

I always suspected he didn't use the TFF name because he and Curt had already put their differences aside at this point. Writing for Everybody Loves A Happy Ending had already started when the album was released. I saw it as deference to the rekindling of their writing partnership and not using the TFF name on a Roland solo album while sorting it out with Curt at the same time.

ARK, JulesRules and Sammy Banderas like this.
  8. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I didn't realize they had patched things up that early, although I guess that makes sense. Just seems a shame since the album had little chance of finding an audience without the TFF name. Maybe i'll give it a listen later today.

JulesRules and Sammy Banderas like this.
  9. omikron

Plus it was released on 9/11. Yes I think your right. It will forever be a hidden gem to discover, I'm afraid.

JulesRules likes this.
  10. Grassy Sound

Grassy Sound Hopeful yet discontent.

I believe he issued Tomcats Screaming Outside as a solo album because he wanted to remove himself from the TFF moniker. He was looking to release something that had no expectations and baggage that the band name inevitably has.

It’s a very good album. Elemental is my favorite release under the TFF moniker, though debates continue as to whether it (& Raoul) is really a band album.

Sammy Banderas and wayneklein like this.
  11. McGuy

McGuy All Mc, all the time... Thread Starter

I’ve never heard of Tomcats. It isn’t on Spotify so I can’t check it out. Damn.

12. scoutbb

scoutbb Senior Member

Great album, but I would vote Seeds as the best album of the 80's! Hell, I would go as far as to call it the best album since the 80's!

13. I agree with this. I don't think it had anything to do with patching up his differences with Curt.

14. scoutbb

scoutbb Senior Member

I had never heard of it. Just placed order on eBay.

JeffMo likes this.
  15. McGuy

McGuy All Mc, all the time... Thread Starter

Me too.

16. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

I wasn't a fan until I heard the Beatles-esque Everybody Loves a Happy Ending which i love.

JDeanB, timind and Lewisboogie like this.
  17. JannL

JannL Forum Resident

You can check the album out on YouTube. It's on there.

Here.

McGuy likes this.
  18. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

I'm not a “fan” as such (I don’t have all their albums for a start) but I bought the first three albums on release and SFTBC is one of the very, very few ‘80s albums that I would judge to be effectively flawless.

19. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

In an interview circa '98 or so, he indicated he was listening to a lot of electronica at the time and this solo album does reflect that in production (neither the rock guitar sound of Raoul or the Beatlesque ELAHE).

JulesRules and mikedifr0923 like this.
  20. mikedifr0923

mikedifr0923 Forum Resident

Became a fan in the last few years (although had a greatest hits cd for a long time) Have Big Chair through Happy Ending. Need to grab the rest

JeffMo likes this.
  21. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

Yes! (Otherwise why would I have created this? :D)

But I do get a bit impatient with them; no new album and no Seeds box + gigs too far away from where I live... :sigh:

Johnny Vinyl and omikron like this.
  22. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

The latter part has been remedied, although there seems to be trouble brewing or something... :/

23. AsWeGoAlong14

AsWeGoAlong14 Well-Known Member

Trying to get into them! The songs i've heard from them are fantastic so far.

24. Mr Day

Mr Day Hater of Fools

I really like them, especially The Working Hour which is epic. Saw them live in 83 where they played The Way You Are, Working Hour, Head Over Heels And Mother’s Talk. Quite a while before SFTBC was released. Goes to show how strong those songs were because I could remember the melodies for HOH and TWH all the way up until the second album came out. Was a frustrating wait knowing how good those tracks were.

Just wish they’d release this new album. I hope that sone Please Be Happy is on there. I suspect its a song Roland wrote for his wife as its very sad.

The last time I saw TFF was in Goldiggers club in Chippenham which they used to do a warm up gig to start off the SFTBC tour. Was brilliant. Right down the front, stood next to Roland !

25. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

I could listen to this song 1,000 times and not get tired of it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.