Any TFF (Tears for Fears) fans out there?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by McGuy, Jan 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

They STILL haven't corrected the "Bruschal" into "Bruchsal"! :laugh:

2. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

It's easily my least favorite of the Roland/Curt TFF albums. It's not bad at all, just less interesting than Big Chair, Seeds or even Happy Ending. They were still finding their sound and fully embedded in the synthpop/new wave sounds of 1981-82 when it was recorded. I like those sounds, but I think it makes The Hurting sound like a lot of other music, whereas later albums feel more unique and have more sonic depth to me.

NunoBento and timind like this.
  3. humanracer

humanracer Forum Resident

Almost 9 years ago TFF played in the Philippines to a crowd that almost approached levels of Beatlemania. Having some so many great gigs in the past 15 years, I am surprised there has no official live album other than Secret World.

JeffMo, JulesRules and NunoBento like this.
  4. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

YES! Many TFF are around here ;)

JulesRules likes this.
  5. Purple

Purple Forum Resident

Not to threadjack but White Lies come highly recommended for Tears for Fears fans...

Fan of the first three albums, though I'd love a remixed The Hurting.

JulesRules likes this.
  6. trickness

trickness Gotta painful yellow headache

Genius band. I remember seeing the “Change” video on MTV and being so intrigued by it that I bought The Hurting. A short time later the 12 inch for “the way you are” came out, a song which the band really hates but I loved, and not a tremendously long time after that I bought an import 10 inch of “Shout” which preceded the US release of the “Songs From The Big Chair” record by some time. It sounded so fresh and so different you just knew it was gonna be a huge global hit which of course it was.

7. JulesRules

I think they're too self-critical. That said, if they were gonna release just one gig, Secret World is really not the best choice... I know Curt once said something about putting together a live album but nothing ever came of that. Time to annoy him via twitter, maybe?

And agree, having an official documentation of that Philippine madness would certainly be great.

NunoBento likes this.
  8. davidlg1971

davidlg1971 Forum Resident

Big Chair is tops for me, but I was rather impressed by Everybody Loves A Happy Ending. It's got some really great Beatles-esque songs, and touches of Bacharach melodies and arrangements in there too, notably the gorgeous Secret World.

It's a shame that Floating Down the River was relegated to the Secret World live album, because it's a like a lost White Album party song. It would have fit perfect on Happy Ending:

9. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

Yes. Big fan and wonder how that new album is coming along? Soon, maybe, someday?

10. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

Most of us are still wondering when they're going to release the Seeds of Love Deluxe edition

11. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I'd rather have a new album, but I didn't expect Seeds before this year, since it's the 30th anniversary.

Sammy Banderas and omikron like this.
  12. rushed again

Right. Anything new works for me.
    Everybody Loves a Happy Ending could use a redo.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
  13. JulesRules

Seeds is supposed to come this year.

Could happen.

It was recorded after the album with the live band. Of course one wonders whether Roland had already written it during the ELAHE period. I love the song too.

c-eling likes this.
  14. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

@jeffmo789
    Funny, I've been playing TFF over the years with zero reaction from Pam until yesterday when I played Sea Song. That one hooked her :laugh:

JeffMo likes this.
  15. rushed again

That would be good news @JulesRules. I like it but hardly listen to it since its so painfully loud.

JulesRules likes this.
  16. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I enjoy quite a bit of their stuff. Songs from the Big Chair was a huge player for me when I was in college.

JulesRules likes this.
  17. With all the due respect to all of you who consider "Everybody Wants To Rule The World" one of the top songs of the whole eighties decade, I've never been able to see what's the big deal about it. I don't dislike it and it's actually a nice listening, but it doesn't capture me either. "Woman In Chains" and "Sowing The Seeds Of Love" are the top songs in TFF's catalog for me.

MikeManaic61, JulesRules and walrus like this.
  18. Andrea_Bellucci

Andrea_Bellucci Forum Resident

Hi Guys!

I had some albums on vinyl but gifted them away... :sigh:

I just rebought SFTBC from a friend on vinyl.

Just to let you know "The Hurting" will get a repress on vinyl and will be availible on 24th May 2019.

So Im going to pre-order mine. :wave:

Bye Andrea

JulesRules likes this.
  19. JulesRules

If you've got the US CD, you can be glad because the European one (which I have) is even louder :realmad: (but at least it's got the two bonus tracks)...

Hard to believe how long the gap is getting. Five years wait is okay, fifteen not so much...

20. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

It was pretty cool when Weezer brought them up on stage to sing EWTRTW at Coachella.

21. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Did you tell her it’s a cover?!?

c-eling likes this.
  22. HeavensAbove

HeavensAbove Forum Resident

Yes! Happy Ending could have used another upbeat song like this, IMO.

23. Rockerbox

Rockerbox Senior Member

I love Tears For Fears. They had so much more substance than most music in the 1980s.
    My 2 favorites are what were actually Roland Orzabal's 2 solo albums but still marketed as "Tears For Fears"....."Elemental" in 1993 and "Raoul and the Kings of Spain" in 1996.

RickH likes this.
  24. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

Does anyone besides me think that "The Hurting" is actually one of their better albums? Better than Seeds and ELAHE? Certainly can't say it's better than Big Chair.

Echo and canonlon like this.
  25. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

It ranks 3rd place out of the first 3 albums, for me that is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.