Any thoughts on low end ultrasonic LP cleaners ?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ChuckyBuck, Nov 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChuckyBuck

ChuckyBuck Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've thought of ultrasonic record cleaners as very high end devices but have recently become aware that there are lower end solutions. These usually involve taking a general purpose ultrasonic tub and mounting some motorized plastic gizmo on it. The plastic isn't cheap (though the motor probably is) but these are for a limited market so that's how it goes.

Anyway, do these things actually work? Are they as effective at cleaning as the pricier models? Is customer satisfaction pretty high. I've been using a SpinClean for a while and have never been too tempted by the vacume based cleaners. The ultrasonic that is on my radar is the CleanerVinyl One. I'd probably get the screw on addition for the second record. I'll be happy to continue hand drying for now.

Thanks.

2. Frost

Frost Forum Resident

the cheap ultrasonic work just fine. I still find that some record dirt responds better to my vpi 16.5 and some to my home brew ultrasonic (based off of the cheap designs)

ChuckyBuck likes this.
  3. jphabc54

jphabc54 Forum Resident

I've built a variation of the project shared via this YouTube video (which includes a BOM). I've been very happy with the results for <$150. I can clean two records at a time with this system, and I've great results with vintage LPs. I run them for about 15 minutes then brush them with distilled water and dry on a Record Doctor V.

My mods:

1) Instead of the magnets, I use a drilled out hockey pucks to protect the labels.

2) (More important) The spindle needs more bracing than is applied in this video. I was able to 3D print a connector for the motor-to-spindle and a brace to balance the spindle on the opposite side of the tank. Happy to share the CAD files for these parts if anyone is interested.

33na3rd, ChuckyBuck and Frost like this.
  4. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

I asked about the iSonic cleaner available on Amazon. It's $481.09 with accessories to clean 5 record. Nobody responded. It looks less cobbled together than the CleanerVinyl One. It still looks cobbled as there is a heater that is recommended not to be used for records. You may want to look this as an alternative. Model number is P4875II.

ChuckyBuck likes this.
  5. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

I was watching a video about someone's home made doohickey and it struck me that the motor turning the LPs looked like a rotisserie motor. They often have cheap low speed motors at SciPlus. Like this

230vac Timing Motor, 2 Rpm

Don't know how cheap the bath is to make, though.

ChuckyBuck likes this.
  6. jphabc54

jphabc54 Forum Resident

7. monte dirks

monte dirks New Member

I’d be interested in getting the cad drawings for these parts.

8. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Using terms like high end and low end is a bit of a misnomer when it comes to ultrasonic cleaners IMO, but I get the point.

Ultimately, as long as you have a properly rated ultrasonic tank (you can get them off Amazon) and something to turn the records during the ultrasonic bath, you essentially have your ultrasonic cleaner. All the ready made ones provide is a nicer package and ease of use (depending on your definition of ease of use :) )

I put together a DIY solution which wasn't very expensive. It'll be even cheaper for those in the US.

ChuckyBuck likes this.
  9. jphabc54

jphabc54 Forum Resident

10. ChuckyBuck

I'm not very knowledgeable about how ultrasonic tanks work so I worry that with more than one LPs in the tank the inside facing surfaces don't get cleaned as much as the outside facing surfaces. Does anyone know much about that? Also, I've been running my tank for about 15 minutes for a cleaning. I wouldn't mind making it a little quicker if it doesn't sacrifice actual cleaning. Thanks.

11. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

There is a rough formula for calculating tank size and number of LPs to be cleaned on page 5 (if memory serves) of that long DIY Audio thread on building an ultrasonic record cleaner. One thing the author observed was that the records acted like baffles which diminished the cleaning effect.
    I've been using the commercial machines (first the AD, and for the last several years, the KL), but had planned to go DIY when the KL croaks-- particularly now that the company is getting out of that business. I have published a series of articles by "Tima" on his experiences with DIY ultrasonic cleaning. He started with a cheap machine, and it worked fine, until it started to have problems. The cost of shipping it back under warranty exceeded its value.
    Tim then bought an Elma, which is a pretty high grade medical machine. It offers a bigger feature set than some of the cheap machines (degas, pulse, alternative frequencies) but it seems from his experience with these, one of the biggest improvements was adding a very tight filter/pump, which you can cobble together fairly inexpensively. He does use a home brew surfactant, which if I recall correctly, is pretty much the same formulation published by the London Jazz Collector. If you do a search for "Tima" "DIY" "Ultrasonic" you'll find the articles. (I published three of them, along with some additional pieces, including a piece written by Mike Bodell (who also wrote The Finish Line piece on stylus wear) on the history of ultrasonic cleaning for records).

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    Twinsfan007 and ChuckyBuck like this.
  12. ChuckyBuck

Thanks. I'll be checking these out.

13. Ripblade

Ripblade Forum Resident

Sound travels through the tank much the same way as sound through a room, so direct line of sight is ideal for best results. In most cases the transducers are mounted in the bottom of the tank, so there is some direct wave exposure going on with multiple records in the bath. Still, it's a good idea to keep the count low, IMO.

FWIW, I sold my tank after experimenting with it for awhile. U/S is not a cure for badly soiled records...nothing beats a good old fashioned scrub and vacuum....except a PVA peel.

YMMV.

wownflutter and ChuckyBuck like this.
  14. vinylsolution

vinylsolution Forum Resident

So that is actually my video and unit. A minor point of clarification, your mod #2 is only needed because of your mod #1.
    Your hockey pucks each weigh more than my entire spindle setup (aluminum tube with the two magnetic label protectors complete).

I deliberately only wish to do one LP at a time, unscientific and no proof, but think it affords a better cleaning.
    The little 1 RPM worm motor shaft is more than capable of supporting an LP and my ~6 oz spindle.
    But glad to see others taking the idea and expanding on it.

15. antnee

antnee Well-Known Member

Cool...

16. Brent Maeder

Brent Maeder Active Member

For those of you who now have been using a 6 liter ultrasonic tank, can you give me the exact breakdown of your cleaning solution? I would like to know the specifics of de-ionized vs distilled water in the tank, isopropyl % and amount used (if at all) and which surfactant(s) you are using i.e. Tergikleen, Triton X-100, L'Art Du Son, etc.......please give me your exact amounts of each item being used and your findings......

I would also like to know how long you are running it in the tank (shortest and longest cycles of effectiveness), what you are using as a rinse afterward......

Thanks for your help!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.