Any tips for cleaning dirty digipaks?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by nolazep, Aug 2, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nolazep

nolazep Burrito Enthusiast Thread Starter

I got a sweet CD I've been after for a while but the digipak has some gunk on it. Do y'all have any tips or tricks on how to safely clean them?

2. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

What kind of gunk ? Prepare to deface the artwork a little where the gunk is stuck at; it's paper man. You can maybe put the digipack inside a sleeve with a resealable flap so the gunk doesn't stick to/spread to the CD besides it in the shelf.

3. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

With some types of gunk a cautious test with naphtha lighter fluid (try first on a non-precious digipak?) might be worth trying.

The Pinhead likes this.
  4. jim249

jim249 Forum Resident

The only thing I would try is a very well wrung out dish cloth with water. If that doesn't work then live with it. It is very easy to damage the paper/cardboard if you get it too wet or use chemicals on it. I use the same cleaning technique when cleaning lp covers. It really brings the colors back out.

5. aorecords

aorecords Forum Resident

I've never tried it but I've heard sometimes a magic eraser.

6. Mark Shred

Mark Shred Fiery the angels fell..........

I use lighter fluid on this type of thing. Same with Record sleeves and vintage Carded figures. You have to be super careful and be experienced enough to know if you're going to be able to lift the dirt or ruin the paper/card and the print.
    I've been a collector since I was a kid and have over 40 years of experience ( and failure ) at doing this.
    I can tell straight away if something can be cleaned or not. I don't even need to test a surface that needs cleaning anymore. I know instantly if ot will work or not.
    All I can say is find a digipacķ you're not bothered about that has the same printed surface and then have a go.
    Good luck !

c-eling likes this.
  7. jim249

jim249 Forum Resident

Another way you might try is using blue masking tape. Put a piece on the gunk and gently try to get it off that way.

8. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Yes ! I remember having used this method, yet with mixed results. Give it a (gentle) try.

9. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

Another vote for lighter fluid.

Mark Shred likes this.
  10. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

Duck Adhesive Remover... smells a bit like naphtha with a citrus component. I have used it on digipaks and CD booklets... but go VERY carefully, use a cotton ball or something gentle, and just a tiny bit of the cleaner.

[​IMG]

11. nolazep

nolazep Burrito Enthusiast Thread Starter

Thanks everyone! I have some lighter fluid so I'll try a little bit of that to see if it works.

Mark Shred likes this.
  12. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Innocent Bystander

Goo Gone and Simple Green are my go-tos.

13. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

In my experience, Goo Gone dissolves plastic, so wouldn't it play hell with the surface of a digipak?

14. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Innocent Bystander

I just tried it, worked a treat. I believe that, like many folks, you're confusing Goo Gone with Goof Off. BIG difference.

One easy way to tell - Goo Gone smells like oranges; Goof Off smells like a$$.

15. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

I recently used Windex. Sprayed it on a paper towel and gently wiped. Worked well.

16. dconsmack

dconsmack Senior Member

https://a.co/d/5FAuCpD
    Un-Do. This stuff is awesome for removing stickers from record covers. You can't even tell the paper got wet. I would imagine it would get dirt off of digipaks with minimal damage although I've never tried it specifically on those.

17. aorecords

aorecords Forum Resident

Well?

18. bob fett

bob fett Well-Known Member

Be kind to paper or print

Use a heat gun or hairdryer with gluey or tacky gunk and wipe off carefully with a damp cloth

Bread dough, left out a day or two, is amazing stuff for cleaning tobacco or other stains

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.