Anybody have experience with the Spin Clean?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ben, Feb 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ben

Ben New Member Thread Starter

Sold on Garage-A-Records for fifty bucks...hmmmmmm.

http://www.garage-a-records.com/spin.html

Way cheaper than a NG or VPI...anybody know how good (or bad) this device is? Any input is appreciated!

Thanks,

Ben

2. rontokyo

rontokyo Senior Member

Wow. What a blast from the past. I remember seeing those things years ago, though I've never tried one. Nitty Gritty and VPI both provide vacuum drying--IMO very important in removing debris from record grooves. Yes, they're both a little pricey, but what you're getting with the Garage-a-Records [what exactly does that name mean?] is nothing more than record bathtub with brushes. But then again, some members here have success cleaning their records in the kitchen sink, so who knows.

3. Mike V

Mike V New Member

I remember this too. I wouldn't buy one - though the Bowling Green plug is a hoot. You'd probably be better off with a Disc Doctor kit, which is of course highly recommended. And ultimately there's no substitute for a good vacuum machine.

4. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

Looks familiar.

I had something like this about 15 years ago. It looks like it does the job, but the bristles are quite big, and it wasn't easy to use (and getting disks in and out requires quite a bit of force against the brushes).

Mine came with a drying rack, too.

It didn't work too well. The only method I've used that results in no change to a clean mint disk (and improvements in everything else!) is the disk doctor's. All vacuum machines, including legendary Keith Monks (now Loricraft) have left just a bit of noise on the disk.

Mike, incorrigible dirty-disk buyer

5. rontokyo

rontokyo Senior Member

As my experience is different re: vacuum cleaning leaving a bit of noise, is it possible that's due to the cleaning solution you've used rather than the machines themselves? Of couse if the disc has been damaged due to a bad stylus or having been played when dirty, cleaning will not remove all noise.

6. Hawklord

Hawklord Senior Member

I have one that I bought about 2 months ago and I love it, the brushes work very well. It ain't no vacuum machine but it does what it claims. For 50 bucks you would be hard pressed to find anything better. I don't have a Disc Dr. system but will probably get one at some point but with the Spin Clean I don't feel rushed to run out and upgrade my cleaner yet. It has given much of my old vinyl a new life. One note, if you do order one get a spare set of brushes so you can alternate them(the 2nd set also comes in handy as a prescrub on extra dirty lp's before giving them a spin). I have cleaned about 250 records with the 4 oz bottle of the fluid and still have about 1/3 left. I ordered a 16oz spare and feel that it will last a long time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.