Anybody here buy cds from Goodwill?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Mirrorblade.1, Feb 11, 2022.

1. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just curious I found some cds there selling but said acceptable which means almost garbage.

2. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

I buy some in their stores and bins, but never on line.

3. ScramMan2

ScramMan2 Forum Resident

I've bought from them on-line. The Wisconsin based ones are pretty good on descriptions.

Mr. LP Collector likes this.
  4. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

I found a gem there just this week!!!
    [​IMG]

5. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Many times in person.

I've purchased some in bad shape but they play fine.

6. rjh_54

rjh_54 Well-Known Member

As far as buying from them online, I've only done it a few times for OOP stuff. They're pretty reasonably priced online so I usually take my chance. If the OOP CD isn't in as great shape as I had hoped for I usually plan to hang onto it as a spare / play copy until I find one in better shape. In my experience, I find that most Goodwill listings are graded conservatively. My most recent order from them was in December for an OOP Christmas CD that I had been holding out on buying, and since it was getting close to the holiday the Goodwill listing was the only one that would've been delivered before Christmas. The album was graded as "acceptable" and when it arrived the disc was in great shape, but there were tab marks on the booklet. Definitely something I was able to live with until I get a new copy next holiday season.

BGLeduc likes this.
  7. Vintage Luxman

Vintage Luxman Another piece of stereo gear? Are you crazy?

I buy CDs from Goodwill and Salvation Army. I found most of my Diana Krall CDs at GW for about $3. Today I landed The Best of Miles Davis- The Capitol/Blue Note Years for $2.00.

8. ScramMan2

ScramMan2 Forum Resident

I just had a really good experience buying from Goodwill of Northern IL on-line. Pretty sure it was on eBay.

From time to time I may stop by a store but they never have anything decent. I haven't been in one since the covid hit.

LordThanos1969 likes this.
  9. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I found Carly Simon Come Upstairs for $7.00 with shipping.. it's mint.. Very lucky

Dave likes this.
  10. I actually prioritize my eBay CD purchases through Goodwill sellers. I am never looking for anything particularly rare, just older, un-remastered releases of rock titles. Everything I have bought has been in better condition than how it was listed. The occasional scuffed or cracked case is no big deal, and easily replaced.

I also like that my purchases are hopefully helping those in need.

Dave likes this.
  11. Mr. LP Collector

Mr. LP Collector Forum Resident

Same here. The one store I've had good luck is the one in Colorado Springs. and I've been lucky on the ones that are out of print that Amazon would list at stupid prices.

ScramMan2 likes this.
  12. widespot

widespot Well-Known Member

My local GW sells for 99¢. I don’t find as many as I used to. I have a local record store that sells 2 for $3 and tend to go there nowadays. Unless something is completely trashed I’ll risk a buck for a good title.

13. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

Our GW is $1.99. Oddly, the only area thrift that regularly gets donations of the 80s West German
    pressings of the Decca classical group (Archiv/DG/London/Philips).

14. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

The online ones (through Amazon, at least) are never rated more than good, and are often near mint. They just grade everything low to reduce returns.

tmtomh likes this.
  15. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

agree! I've gotten some deals and cds are always better than listed.

16. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

This past summer I hit on a treasure trove of about 25 rare reggae CDs in great shape, at a Goodwill.
    I have a friend who is big on reggae and CD collecting and he has been sitting on a lp collection all over the place from the '60s through the '80s so I proposed a trade, I picked up quite a few rare jazz and rock lps in that trade, one of which is the Strata East OG pressing of Glass Bead Games by Clifford Jordan which books for anywhere around 100$ up to 200 so I think I did pretty well.

I ripped all the CDs of course.

MrSka57 likes this.
  17. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

I ordered from Goodwill online once – it was advertised as "Acceptable", arrived brand new and sealed. However, this was one isolated experience and I think it was the summer of 2015 so take that with a full shaker of salt.

18. MrJerry1876

MrJerry1876 Short Distance Voyager

My local goodwills' CD prices are very high ($6 and under, usually on the higher end) but I have found some good ones. I managed to find all of the Billy Joel CDs that I didn't have, so I was able to finish my collection of his. Those were $4-5 each. I also managed to find the black triangle Abbey Road for less than $5 once, I recently sold it.

19. bertdw

bertdw Forum Resident

I've bought many on line, and the condition was at least as good as described, except for some of the jewel cases. That doesn't matter much to me.

20. Once in a while I do. I don't find too many CDs that I like at the local Goodwill.

I have bought a few on Ebay, that said "Acceptable" and they've been not been in too bad condition.

21. That's awesome! I've only ever seen the Hollywood Records CDs.

MrJerry1876 likes this.
  22. Ken Dryden

Ken Dryden Forum Resident

I've donated plenty of CDs and LPs to Goodwill that were unlikely to sell online and that no used stores wanted to accept in trade.
    I can't ever remember buying a CD from Goodwill, but due to my large collection, the odds of finding anything of interest during an occasional review of their in-store inventory is unlikely.

But there's always hope that something of interest will turn up.

23. rjp

rjp Senior Member

the one i go to sells CD's for 99 cents, i have found a few nice ones there, but never more than a couple.

the bins there are always dominated by classical and christmas CD's.

MrJerry1876 likes this.
  24. alanhed

alanhed Forum Resident

I've found at least 300 at GW since 2010.
    In store only. About 2017 they started hoarding the good stuff for online sales.
    I only go into GW occasionally now. Found maybe a dozen since pandemic.

Found at least 1200 in other thrift stores since 2010. 300 plus of those in the last year.

25. ScramMan2

ScramMan2 Forum Resident

I just got another title from Goodwill Colorado Springs. Through eBay. They shipped First Class as an added bonus.

Mr. LP Collector likes this.