Anybody here go to the Columbus, OH record show?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by greelywinger, May 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia Thread Starter

Just got back from the show.
    Had a great time and found a few things.
    Haven't had this much fun in a while.
    Wondering if any forum members ever get to the show.
    I was the guy in the colorful T Rex T-Shirt.

Darryl

2. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Yes, I was there. A lot of good stuff to be had, for sure, Including a RL Led Zeppelin II in EX- condition for 20 bucks.

3. greelywinger

Any good used vinyl shops in the Columbus area?
    thinking about checking some out next time I'm in town.

Darryl

4. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

There are a few stores around town. The most notable are:

Used Kids Records (OSU campus)
    Magnolia Thunderpussy (Short North)
    Lost Weekend (Clintonville - Make sure you look at the record before you buy it, this guy has the habit of putting scratched up records out and charging VG+ prices for it.)
    Elizabeth's in the Southpoint Flea Market/Antique mall. (South High street - only open Fri-Sun)
    Ace in The Hole (off Kenny Road)
    Colleen's Collectibles (Oakland Park Ave - Colleen and her husband organize the record show here - you may have met them at the show. She is only open on saturday afternoons.)

Any good places in Dayton?

5. greelywinger

Meet Colleen and her husband every time I'm at the show.
    I asked them and they have no T Rex records at their store.
    I just bought the only one they had on eBay called Light Of Love.
    Colleen always puts on a good show.
    The only place we have for used vinyl is called Omega Music.

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=187222&highlight=omega+music

Darryl

6. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

I have seen T.Rex records around - I'd try Used Kids and Lost Weekend for them. Those are the kind of albums that go quick when they do pop up, though.

7. RonMiller1

RonMiller1 Member

I went to the show last February, it was great. Found some Music Machine, Japanese Beatles, UK Clash. Sadly I had to miss this one because I went way over my vinyl budget this last week. Thanks in big part to those stores mentioned above.

Another place in Columbus is called Vintage Fountain Pens, It seems exclusively classical music. They have great prices and a pretty large selection. I was very happy when I found it last week. It's on High St. North of Lost Weekend.

8. Telefunken_U47

Telefunken_U47 Member

I was there. I scored some Arthur Lyman, Martin Denney, Pink Floyd, The Cars and Elvis Costello records.

9. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

Please stop talking about Columbus record stores!! I don't want more competition!! ;)

10. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

I know. I still have my "secret" source...

11. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

As do I. :shh:

12. Bill

Bill Senior Member

When did Robert & Co. close? That was my favorite for vinyl when I lived in Columbus from 1977-78. LPs and 45s- they had them all, and reasonable prices.

13. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

I couldn't believe that I found the RL Led Zep II though. The first box I looked in, no less. Overall, I spent less than 70 bucks on 8 records that all could have easily been over $10 in any of the stores I mentioned.

14. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

They closed in the mid-90s, I believe. But I didn't think their prices were very reasonable.

15. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

I've found three RL copies locally over the last few years, and a few "half RL" copies too. :D

Glad you found one easily... Enjoy!!

16. Howdy folks,

I still live in Columbus. I used to go to the record shows before Clinton signed the treaty that shut down the flow of "alternative" materials from Italy. Where are they holding the shows, at Veterans?

Cheers

Carlos

17. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

The Haimerl Center and Serenity Park. 1421 Morse Rd.

The next one is in August.

18. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

I've found that most sellers and stores around here do not really pay close attention to what they are selling. A lot of times I will see 2 of the same album, in virtually the same condition and the same pressing, but one is marked 10 dollars and the other is in the dollar bin.

19. BobbyS

BobbyS Forum Resident In Memoriam

I had to work today so I didn't get to go. Kyle at Lost Weekend is a great guy but yeah - look at the vinyl before you hand over your cash. He definitely checks Led Zeppelin dead wax though and knows all about Bob Ludwig copies.

20. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Yeah, I only bought from him once, on Record Store Day, when everything was 30% off. I found that he had a pretty good selection of Dave Clark 5.

21. Cokelike-

Cokelike- Forum Resident

It's too bad they arent at Veteran's anymore. You could actually walk around in that in place. At the new place off Morse Rd, its just way to crowded for me. As a result, I dont spend a lot of time there like I used to. I just go and look for certain things. As for the "Alternative Materials", it's true that sometime ago you could not find much of them there. But I have seen plenty of that stuff in the last couple times I went, including this last one.

22. cdice

cdice New Member

Boy, you guys are making me a little homesick for Columbus, OH. I was born and raised in a small farm town south of Columbus, and I'm an OSU "Go Bucks" graduate, now a So Cal transplant. I spent many-a-day (and many-a-dollar) on music on North High Street back in the late seventies and early eighties. I can remember blowing off classes at OSU and spending the entire day music shopping on North High Street. Let's see, starting from the north end, there was Record and Tape Outlet (actually on Norwich, I think, right off North High Street), then I'd walk down to Magnolia Thunderpussy North, then Schoolkids' Records (and later Used Kids', thanks Ron House!!!), and pick up the latest "gray area products" (thanks, Curt S.!!!), then onto Discount Records (always overpriced but they had a great Jem Imports selection), then to Mole's Record Exchange (for great used vinyl in mint condition, "Captain" and "Mole" you're greatly missed, R.I.P.), then further south to Capital City Records, then Zebra Records (Matt Wyatt, where are you?), Singin' Dogs (Dave and Sam Greenberg's place), then I'd cross the street to Magnolia Thunderpussy South (for even more "grey area product" and "imports", thanks Chuck!!!), and then I'd order a pitcher of beer at Papa Joe's and look at all my new purchases. Ahhhh, those were the days. The last time I visited Columbus, OH (March 2009), all my old haunts were gone. All of them. I was told Chuck still owns Magnolia Thunderpussy, but it moved to The Short North area of North High Street (closer to downtown Columbus). True? The building that housed the original Singin' Dogs records had been torn down, and there was another really small store called Singin' Dogs (brick building) near the original location, and talked to the owner who told me he was a "wholesale partner with Curt Sneider, original owner of Schoolkid's Records) and this guy informed me that the music business in Columbus was falling apart, much like the rest of the "inde" stores in the U.S. Now, I've heard he's even out of business, true? Oh yeah, somebody mentioned Robert & Company. Was that the place on Lockbourne Road? I used to drive there when I was in high school to pick up really rare Beatles stuff. The old man who was always chain smoking a cigarette was very knowledgeable on all things Beatles. Was that "Robert"? I remember he talked me into buying Klaatu's first album, and Kiss Alive. He was quite the character. Columbus, Ohio: I will always have a soft spot in my heart for you. God bless Ohio State. God bless what used to be the best place to shop for music on one strip: North High Street. I'm going back to Columbus this summer to see "the folks". Any "must see" used CD and vinyl shops in Columbus anymore? I'm most interested in places in the O.S.U area, but would be willing to drive anywhere in the Columbus vacinity. Thanks ahead of time! (PS: Why isn't Ronald Koal and the Trillionaires stuff on CD?!) (PSS: Machines. Machines. Machines. That's an inside joke. Only people from Columbus growing up during the seventies and eighties will understand. =:<} )

23. paustin0816

paustin0816 Forum Resident

crap I would have gone if I'd known about it...oh well theres still August

24. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Singin' Dog did close last year, but they are supposedly starting up an online site.

Magnolia moved to the short north, where they still operate. Their used section of LPs is pitiful - really frustrating, actually, since they have TONS of used records under the used cd racks that are not for sale. They do have a fairly good selection of new indie vinyl - of course, that has always been their specialty. I picked up the Stones' Plundered My Soul single there on Record Store day, but I generally only go in there for record cleaning supplies...

25. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

If you miss August, there's also November.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.