....Anybody here meet Gram Parsons?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by gramfan, Feb 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gramfan

gramfan Forum Resident Thread Starter

(Inspired by the Morrison thread)...Closest i came is a strange story...I had taken a GP album cover to my local printing shop wondering if they could put the image on the LP on a t-shirt..I showed the lady the lp and she said" oh,i went to high school with that guy..." she remembered him as Gram Connor had never heard his music..she said she had a picture that she had taken of him with one of her friends in Winter haven Fla. The next day i brought her a tape of some of his music and she gave me a copy of the pic.A pic of a 13 year old Gram with his girlfriend...I later got in contact with Grams daughter and sent her a copy of the pic..which she had never seen and she in return sent me a thank you note...wild stuff....

2. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Gram played at the second Sky River Rock Festival here in 1969. I didn't go but a fellow I spoke with who worked there in technical support told me about a get together one of the nights where he spent hours hanging out with Gram talking about music (while drinking, 'smoking', etc.) I thought about interviewing him but of course memories at this stage in time seem to be a bit fuzzy on details.

3. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

care to show us the picture of Gram Connor?

4. bibijeebies

by the way, one of the best albums ever, Gilded Palace of Sin never gets any audiophile attention, they rather reissue the same titles already reissued again, one wonders...

5. goldwax

goldwax Rega | Cambridge | Denafrips | Luxman | Dynaudio

I'd be happy if Sundazed would just slap it on vinyl again--they've done a bunch of other Byrds-related stuff, after all.

6. bibijeebies

Yes, that would be great! Sundazed and a Quality records pressing without quality issues!

7. zobalob

zobalob Senior Member

Yes, after the Byrds gig, Middle Earth, London, May '68. Shook hands and gibbered senselessly while he said "Why, thank you" repeatedly. He was very polite and it was really nice of him to stop to shake hands. Here's a photo (I've posted it here before, but you may not have seen it) of the band at that gig (I took quite a few, but only have two left, don't know what happened to the negatives, probably in a box somewhere).

Attached Files:

keyXVII and gramfan like this.
  8. MFSL is going to issue Gram's albums on SACD soon.:thumbsup:

9. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

:thumbsup:

10. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

When meeting Pam De Barres and friend asked her specifically about Gram and she casually mentioned seeing him live 100+ times....

11. bibijeebies

seems like A+M (Universal) is hard to get the rights from?
    the Gram albums are on Reprise

12. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Excellent!!!

13. gramfan

gramfan Forum Resident Thread Starter

as soon as a get a new pc..sure!

14. floweringtoilet

floweringtoilet Forum Resident

I don't think so. 4 Men With Beards did reissue the first two Burritos albums on LP, although I'm not sure they were "audiophile" quality. Lots of other Universal titles find their way to MFSL, AF, etc.

15. bibijeebies

of course I know about the 4MWB reissues, but I have never heard anything good about this company...

16. IbMePdErRoIoAmL

IbMePdErRoIoAmL lazy drunken hillbilly with a heart full of hate

Gram died well before I was born BUT I do own a guitar that he used to play. The father of a high school friend owned an old Martin OO-28 that he purchased as young man. It sat around my buddy's house all through high school and, as the only musician amongst my closest circle of friends at that time, I picked it up & played it up every time I was at their home. After my first year in college (majoring in music), my friend called to tell me his father wanted to speak with me (uh-oh!). He appreciated my interest in the instrument and, since he didn't really play & his children had no interest, he sold it to me... for less than he payed for it in 1962! He also related that while attending Harvard, a fellow student (who he said later had some success as a musician & played with the Byrds for a while) was regularly "between" guitars & used to nick it in order to have something to play. (He didn't seem to have a terribly high opinion of this person.) Though he couldn't remember his name, a few months later I showed him a photo of Gram & he immediately identified him as the guitar-borrowing neighbor. So while I never met Gram, I did acquire an incredible vintage guitar (for a song!) that he could have used to write "Hickory Wind" or "Thousand Dollar Wedding" or... well, probably not.
    Pretty cool, I think, nevertheless.

17. bibijeebies

Today I got the Edsel cd EDCD 191 and indeed this one is much better than the A&M remaster from 1997, as mentioned by others on this forum already.
    http://www.discogs.com/Flying-Burrito-Bros-The-Gilded-Palace-Of-Sin/release/650154
    Pity about the Sid Griffin liner notes though, also because I think Sid is very nice and talented guy...
    Thanks for whoever gave the heads up about the Edsel cd!

18. floweringtoilet

floweringtoilet Forum Resident

I have not heard good things about these reissues either, but it suggests it is not that hard to get the rights from Universal. There are lots of Universal owned reissues on the market from MFSL, AP, AF, etc. right now. I don't think that's the problem.

Anyway...that's getting off topic...I never met Gram. I was 4 when he died. My Dad did see a pre-fame Emmylou Harris perform at a friend's wedding though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.