Anybody know anything about Philips DSS 930 Digital Speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Larry Naramore, Mar 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Larry Naramore

Larry Naramore Bonafied Knucklehead Thread Starter

Picked a couple up and can't even figure out how to hook them up.

2. Larry Naramore

3. Larry Naramore

...second bump!

Perhaps I should post a picture of the back of one of the speakers?

4. Wufnpoof

Wufnpoof Well-Known Member

Sorry Larry, me no savvy Philips DSS 930 Digital Speakers :shake:

Hope someone who's knowledgeable about them helps you out ! :righton:

5. Larry Naramore

I only find one small mention of them on Google.

6. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Perhaps if they have an RCA or optical input, they can take a feed right out of a cd player. Just a thought, though. Don't know about these particular speakers.

7. tomcat

tomcat Senior Member

I remember having read two or three reviews back then. If my memory serves right, you connect the digital out (16/44) of a CD player to one speaker and make a daisy chain to the other, both with RCA cables. There must be a switch that tells you which is the left/right speaker...
    One of the reviews said that you could control the speakers with the included remote; another said you had to hook a separate controller on. Since these two statements are contradictory, I strongly guess that at least one of the reviewers hadn't actually reviewed these speakers...
    Good luck!

8. tomcat

tomcat Senior Member

Larry, let us know if/how it works and how they sound!

9. Taurus

Taurus Senior Member

Larry: Stereo Review did a review of these speakers in the early 90s (they were even on the front cover). I actually used to own that issue myself until I cleaned out my college storage boxes last year. :( But this guy sells reprints of reviews and I believe that specific Philips review is on that list. Good luck!

10. Rakastava

Rakastava New Member

Philips DSS930 Digital Speakers

Larry -

The DSS930 speakers were originally sold with the DSC950BK Digital Signal Contoller, a digital preamp if you will, which accepts 7 digital or analog sources with the option that two may be optical. The controller also includes a 42-key IR remote. With the DSC950BK one can connect up to 12 speaker pairs and/or 3 clusters for multiroom applications with independent volume and tone for each cluster.

Typically a single connector is run from the DSC950BK to one of the speakers and another lead run from speaker to speaker. The digital signal automatically sorts out left channel from right. From an opinion stanpoint the DSS930 speakers have an exceptionally clean, uncolored sound, very similar to the Mackie HR626 near-field monitors and the Meridian DSP5000C. I would personally opt to add a subwoofer at some point. Their strongpoint is clarity and neutrality of sound rather than volume so I would not use them to move the dust at home.

The Isophase tweeter is driven by a dedicated 20W continuous/ 40W peak. The two 5.25-inch polypropelene woofers are driven by a similar 80W/320W amplifier. They will accept any standard digital signal input but you must have the speakers' remote or your power output will be FULL! Sampling freqencies accepted are 32, 44.1 and 48kHz. D/A converters (low, high frequencies): differential bitstream, 128x oversampling. S/N ratio: up to 100dB.

I am fairly familiar with these speakers, having used them for several years, and actually will be helping a friend sell a set with the DSC950BK before selling my own DSC950BK. I hope the information helps.

11. Larry Naramore

Thanks for an informative post and welcome to the Forum! . My question is am I able to set them up like regular speakers. To all who have posted I apologies as I haven't had time to fiddle with them. It's good to know about the remote. :)

12. Rakastava

Rakastava New Member

The DSS930 speakers could be conceivably connected to a CD player or another source with a coaxial digital output, though as mentioned, you would first want/need to lower the volume even before pressing play as the output defaults to maximum. This does not enable you to listen to other sources so I don't consider it a convenient or practical solution. The companion DSC950 control preamplifier or another digital preamplifier is really what is needed. When Julian Hirsch reviewed the system he wrote "The DSC950 itself is perhaps the most user-friendly control center one could wish for...this is a thoroughly thought-out system, well worth its price." ($2920.00 DSS930/DSC950).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.