Anybody listen to the new generation of Infinity Speakers?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by TimB, Apr 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TimB

TimB Pop, Rock and Blues for me! Thread Starter

My wife and I just picked up a pair of Infinity Interlude 50 speakers, and so far really love the sound. These feature a 10" powered sub (250 watt BASH amplifier), a 6.5" mid and 1" tweeter. All the speakers are the new CMMD ( a ceramic coating over an aluminuim base) speakers from Infinity, being originally designed for the flagship Preludes (by the way we auditioned them as well and they sound absoulutly stunning). The Interludes are ported floor standers, and have the RABOS ( a room adjusting system to level out bass bumps for a smoother response). So far, I must admit these are a very good speaker!
    Now to add to the mix, my wife and I went back to the store and listened to the Intermezzo 2.6 speakers (reviewed in Sterophile June of 2001). My wife liked them so much, she said lets get them as additional speakers for another room, or for your stereo (the interludes were interned all along for the home theater set up).
    These little bookshelfs were marked down from $2200 to $1500, and sound stunning for even $2200. They are very fast, deep bass and play at higher than expected volumes. The clarity was also stunning.
    And as with many small 2 way bookshelf speakers, they do put you in sound stage heaven.

Any one else listen to the new Infinity Speakers?

2. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I find Infinity speakers bright and fatiguing. I prefer Polk Audio.

3. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Forum Hall Of Fame

Hi,

I have matched Polk Audio's for my home theatre (5.1 config) and am also happy w/ their performance.

Jeffrey

4. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

I have a pair of Infinity Compositions and I don't find them bright at all!!!
    They do audiofile quality music reproduction along with home theater quite nicely!!!:D

5. Highway Star

Highway Star New Member

I've had a set of IL 40s for about a year now and I really like them. These have the 8" woofer, 4" mid and 1" tweeter. Since they were display models I got a deal I couldn't pass up. Never had a problem with them being bright. One thing I did was build color-matched integrated 7" stands to get the 4" midrange at ear level. That puts the tweeter up a little higher than ear level, so that may help solve any brightness problem. I'd like someday to upgrade the crossover components. I tried out countless speakers for several years and then spent several more years researching homemade speaker designs and after I heard these it seemed I was just wasting my time with everything else. I do use a homemade sub (w/single Dynaudio sealed 9"er) down low midway between the 2 ILs. This compliments the two 8" woofers just right with my set-up. Broke in the DCC Doobie Brothers last night, not bad at all!

6. mazort

mazort New Member

In a word

No.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.