Anybody set up at a US record show in 2021?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by R. Totale, Apr 30, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason Thread Starter

How did it look?

2. ScramMan2

ScramMan2 Forum Resident

How about anybody go to one?

I work concerts/events and just worked my first show in over a year, a sportsmans event at the Oregon Expo Center a few weeks ago. They had some pretty big displays in a huge venue.

I'm not sure how a record event would work out being 6 feet apart.

3. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

Austin this week is only 50% allowed in. Huge distance between who actually bought tables. Lots of no shows buyers and dealers. $619 for one week on a rental car eliminates me from going.....up from $125. Imagine opening up a hot table with 6 foot distance.....it usually is touching each other with another layer behind the first players in the boxes.....in 15 minutes it is history, picked clean.

4. wynnwikman

wynnwikman Senior Member

Last month I attended a few shows and sold at a small show in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Masks required, tables spread out more than usual. The show I sold at was well attended and honestly its difficult to spread individual people out as they shop the room. I'm small time with just one table, but I sold quite a bit, and other sellers say they sold a lot.

R. Totale likes this.
  5. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

You can't stop the sharks getting into a table just opened at any show. Social distancing does not occur. You are at the mercy of 4" to the next guy's face on each side.

6. GruveRecords

GruveRecords Well-Known Member

I’ve done a few shows in Florida the past few months. Was just like normal except for tables being more spread out and people wearing masks. We have a regular show in Fort Lauderdale that officially returned in February after a 1 year hiatus. Was wild. Best show I’ve done in years. A lot of pent up demand for records.

R. Totale likes this.
  7. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

Pent up all over now.....common records are being eaten by the 15-25 year olds like good cookies.

JasonA and Farmer Mike like this.
  8. Farmer Mike

Farmer Mike Forum Resident

I've done 3 in the Detroit area since March. The first one was a pretty big event, sponsored by a radio station, in a mall. There was for sure pent up demand. Sold a bunch of stuff, for the most part everyone behaved. I got three 8 ft. tables to spread a little more than two tables of stuff.
    Did another one a week or 2 later, about 2/3 of the dealers were there, everyone was masked up, did pretty well.
    Last show I did was the Ann Arbor show, I got in for the first time due to some regulars bowing out. Unfortunately case #'s in Michigan were starting to ramp back up in the beginning of April and the turnout was down, maybe a 1/3 to a 1/2 according to the regulars I was set up near. Did ok.
    I do notice a couple of things. One, some people will start browsing, but if they feel crowded they'll peel off and hit a different section or table, then come back when things clear out. Also, people are trying to fill holes in catalogs that they dove into during the past year and want to do it in person. With the vaccination rate hopefully continuing to rise, it will be less of a strategic exercise for both the dealers and the buyers.

9. wynnwikman

wynnwikman Senior Member

What show is this?, It been a few years since I've been over to Detroit for a show, would like to make the trip for a large one again sometime.

Thanks

10. Farmer Mike

Farmer Mike Forum Resident

WCSX Classic Rock Swap, they've done them the last 6 or 7 years. I've done them all, it's cool that it pulls in a lot of folks that aren't the regular record show crow, "civilians" if you will. Every year I expect they're not going to do it and thankfully it comes back. They've been at Oakland Mall, usually middle of February. Usually announced right before Christmas.

wynnwikman likes this.
  11. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason Thread Starter

To answer my own question I set up on one on Sunday. Dismal attendance, due to slashing rain + Mother's Day. Mom could be a punk rocker, take her to the show. I made some dough but should have done better since everything on the table was fresh.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.