Anybody still go to record shows?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by evillouie, Jun 12, 2017.

1. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

Yup.
    The last record show I attended, I picked up a near mint Mudcructch promo 45 on Shelter, a US first press of 'Piper At the Gates of Dawn' in excellent condition,
    and some Trouser Press magazines. You never know what you'll find.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
  2. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

Went to one in New Hope a few weeks back. Hadn't been to one in years. Definitely a major shift toward vinyl and not a lot of new releases.

Didn't get anything but it was worth it to see how things have changed.

3. YMC4

YMC4 Forum Resident

i used to go to one in Pasadena on monthly basis back in the early 90's. i was there sorely for the bootlegs as the price on them were RIDICULOUS in my local shops (that is if i could find one ~).
    that all stopped around 95/96 when i finally got on the internet. i still remember the 1st words i ever typed on the internet search page...Prince BOOTLEG :p

4. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

Raleigh Record Show is Sunday March 17th at the Hampton Inn on Glenwood Avenue / HWY 70 (near Carbtree Valley Mall)

uzn007 likes this.
  5. 86mets

86mets Counting Crows #1 Fan

I remember that one...it's been over 35 years since I've been...

lazydawg58 likes this.
  6. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

There's one is Missoula this coming weekend. Sunday, I think.

7. overdrivethree

overdrivethree Forum Resident

I used to enjoy them, now I don't.

I'm in line with the posters who make a point to buy what they really want, whether online or B&M, versus the impulse buy at record fairs.

Of course, the whole "gotta get there early" and just the social aspects of it don't interest me at all. I love listening to records and I take pride in my own collection, but I couldn't care less about rare pressings or becoming friends with other record buyers.

8. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

I'm going to the show in St. Louis this Sunday, March 10th.

9. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

That's an interesting way of look at it. I see record shows completely differently. I go to find reasonably priced records in good condition. At the record shows I don't have to wade through the trashed records and the easy listening to get to the records I'm interested in. Like you I'm not out there searching for a particular pressing. These re-sellers at the shows are often trying to move out slow moving records to make room for records they hope will sell quicker. Often those $12, $10, $5 albums inevitably find their was to the $3, $2 and eventually $1 bins. Sure Dark Side of the Moon or Physical Graffiti are always going to sell for double digits but there is so much more out there.

As far as impulse buying I have a few albums I'm always on the lookout for, but I'm driven more by finding artists and albums that I've for one reason or another never listened to before. It is about the old being the new again. I've built a nice collection of sixties soul music that takes me back to my childhood but is now at a much deeper level. My sixties country collection is the same way.

I guess it is all how you look at it.

overdrivethree likes this.
  10. overdrivethree

overdrivethree Forum Resident

For me, it was discovering UK folk music about a decade ago, which sent me on a really frustrating search for the things I liked.

I was about to say, that stuff is priced like hen's teeth no matter where you go, but then I just remembered the guy at a record fair who mispriced an original US pressing of John Martyn "Solid Air" for $4. (And I'm not like "ooh, an original!" That album is hard to come by in my neck of the woods, regardless of pressing or even format.) When he saw how stoked I was to find it anyway, he let me have it for the $4.

But overall I think used vinyl pricing - at fairs, in B&M stores or online - has gotten out of hand. I guess I'm a little more discretionary with my dollar no matter where it's being spent, vinyl-wise.