Anybody still go to record shows?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by evillouie, Jun 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Record shows are hit and miss, but still cheap thrills. Yesterday I had a good, not great day. Only four LPs, but they were a buck apiece. Lots of CDs, all $3 or less, including one (original release of “The Sound of Jazz”) that’s been on my list for years. The surprise find was four reel-to-reel releases: Dylan Greatest Hits, Dylan New Morning, Hendrix/Redding Monterey Pop and Sly Stone’s Greatest Hits. The last two are sealed!

It’s also a good way to sell stuff without having to pack and mail, deal with PayPal, or returns and fussy buyers. Rent a table for $50 or $60 and thin your herd.

2. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

The Buena Park show, and Pasadena City Swap were the cats meow in LA for a couple of decades. Since I got used to them at the peak, I can't stand going now. I got spoiled.

hi_watt and mbrownp1 like this.
  3. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

It's been over a year since I last posted in this thread and although I still go to the local shows I've been increasingly disappointed with every visit for precisely this reason. I used to go home with 20+ records after some shows but in 2018 I bought about a fraction of that. At the last show I was at, I was selling, but if I went to buy only I'd have been seriously disappointed.

The next one is coming up in March and I'll be selling again (doubles, things I don't want anymore) and I'm hoping that the money we raise will be well spent at the WFMU fair in NYC.

But I can actually see a day when I don't bother anymore, if the lack of selection keeps up.

David G. likes this.
  4. For those selling vinyl, how are the prices? Is it worth getting a table?
    How much haggling? DO prices ever get bid up?

5. Christian Hill

Christian Hill It's all in the mind

Record shows are like going to Goodwill but the records are priced 10 times higher

6. Jerry

The prices are all over the map. One dealer might have a record for $3, and another dealer the exact album in same or worse condition for 3X the price. It pays to have a strategy and a good nose. The downside is that if you pay a premium for a piece of vinyl that looks mint, take it home and hear a bowl of Rice Krispies, then you have no recourse. Cheapskates like me feel the burn less.

When selling vinyl, I price with the intent of lowering for a package deal or a serious haggler on a higher-price item. It's worth getting a table if you have a good amount to sell, otherwise, think of splitting a table with a friend. My last venture, I brought two big boxes of records, four cases of CDs and a box of music books. I made my nut back in about two hours, and finished the day with a couple hundred in profit. One hint: buy some plastic sleeves for your vinyl. That increases the perceived value a few bucks in some cases for about .10 per record. Also if someone is low-balling you early, say you'll consider the offer later in the day if they haven't sold by then. Sometimes that makes them decide to buy right then.

And no, prices only go one way: down.

hi_watt, zphage and Papi Hipbone323 like this.
  7. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

Just yesterday. Went to the greater Orange County Record Show at the UCFW Union Hall one block from my hous in Buena Park, CA

8. And...

Defdum&blind and hi_watt like this.
  9. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

Didn’t find anything I needed which happens more and more as the years go by. My buddy found a mint copy of Plastic Letters LP for $10...about half of what you’d find on eBay.

zphage likes this.
  10. Beeb Fader

Beeb Fader Forum Resident

I live in Yorkshire, UK in a small town called Skipton. We have a Town Hall Record `Show' (or `Fair' as we call them) every 6 weeks or so. I went to the latest yesterday, and initially my heart sank to see that the main hall was closed for refurbishment and the number of stalls was about 30% of what it usually is. Having said all of that, I found some great stuff, and at great prices too. Walked out of there an hour or two later with 8 albums I really wanted, some of which were a surprise to find, like a Nice `Live In Sweden 67' album with a great insert and coloured vinyl, and the Peter Gabriel German album, both of which I picked up for £5 a piece. It's the element of surprise I still really enjoy, and the ritual of coming home, cleaning up the secondhand ones, putting them in new inners, playing through them and adding them to the collection. True happiness right there ! :)

11. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Too Similar, overpriced junk from the same old sellers.
    I go to a few a year but it is very hard to find good stuff.
    I lookout for new sellers as it often means a private person is selling their collection!

12. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

You're not wrong.

troggy and Christian Hill like this.
  13. All Down The Line

I only take one crate of LP's and a one of singles.
    I get charged $10 AUD and clear $450 AUD.
    Does that sound okay?

zphage likes this.
  14. Jimmy Cagoots

Jimmy Cagoots Senior Member

First time in years I bought no vinyl! Got some good $1 jazz cd's.
    Thanks Jerry! (Did you win the Dylan clock?)

Jerry likes this.
  15. Andrew

Andrew Chairman of the Bored

That's been pretty much my experience for (at least) the past decade.

16. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

I stopped going to our local show. A lot of the same old dealers, and high priced dollar bin records. The high priced stuff is too high priced, and the condition is usually not worth the price. At least they have free pizza if you show up.

17. 12" 45rpm

12" 45rpm Forum Resident

Never been to a record show and based on this thread looks like I have not missed much.. I do most shopping on discogs . I spend time creating my huge want list and let discogs algorithms help me get the best deals :)

18. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

^ This.

I hadn't gone to a record show in a number of years and went to one in November of last year - there's one that happens every month in NYC and I'd never gone. I happened to have a completely free Saturday, so I figured I'd check it out.

Massive disappointment. First of all, they actually charged an admission fee. Then, once I was in, there was less than a dozen vendors - probably 8 or 9. Of those, a few were concentrated solely on 45s, so I didn't even look at those (I don't collect 45s). That only left a handful of vendors for me to check out.

Apologies to any of them that might read this board, but they pretty much sucked. The best of the bunch had everything priced about 3X as high as they should be, but since he was having a "sale," (everything half off!), they were only moderate rip-offs. The biggest problem was that almost nothing was in really good shape, which is what I had planned on looking at. I guess my own expectations of the experience were a bit out of whack - I was assuming that there were vendors bringing their prized stuff to these shows, due to there being a clientele of dedicated fans who were ready to buy. Instead, it was 1) mostly overpriced junk, or 2) overpriced common-to-moderately-common items in decent shape that can generally be found at any decent record store (not to mention Discogs) for less money.

I really didn't get it. Only die-hards are going to pay an admission fee to look at records on a Saturday, and presumably these are the people most in the know about what the items should cost. I didn't see anybody buying anything, except for some swapping between the vendors themselves.

I left very disappointed and will not likely ever got that particular show again. *Any* half decent area record store would be a more satisfying experience than looking through what those vendors had to offer.

19. Jerry

Yep! I guessed May 21, 1941. 3 days off! The girls at the front desk were speechless. And I bet that never happened with those two!

upload_2019-1-28_10-39-44.png

troggy and All Down The Line like this.
  20. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

So far I've learned record buyers bitch about buying online and not knowing the actual condition due to grading flaws and how nice it is to find something "in the wild", and will also bitch about having to wake up in the morning and there being records there to look at they don't want as well as not every obscure gem they do, which when it does show up is not $5.

21. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

I go to 2-3 a year.

Mostly to sell.

22. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

What you're saying isn't untrue, but there has to be some perspective to this post. The value of seeing an item in person is definitely important. The value of seeing an item in person that you've been looking for increases (and therefore makes one more prone to overpaying) based on its rarity of being seen "in the wild," as it were.

There's not much value to a buyer encountering items that can be found pretty much anywhere, for cheaper, at exorbitant prices at a record show. That's not "complaining," it's just stating a fact.

Christian Hill likes this.
  23. Jerry

It's always a glorious Sunday morning that attend this scared rite. I'm on my knees half the time, with great faith that I find something good and cheap in the $1 boxes under the tables. I'm with my fellow man- occasionally a woman but not with lust in my heart unless they beat me to that early issue Blue Box set for $75- many who need to be anointed with sacred oils of lavender. I tithe my hard earned income to the lords of $60 tables and thank god I haven't spent too much. And I must confess that as the gathering has concluded, I pray that my load is not too much to bear when I try to sneak it in the house past my wife. Amen.

forthlin and All Down The Line like this.
  24. All Down The Line

So a Gort has a gatekeeper too!

25. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

The bi-annual Austin, Texas Record Convention has been around since 1981 and is still
    worth a look for LPs/45s/CDs. Plus it's in Austin...so it's more fun than, say, Allentown.

troggy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.