Anyone a Vangelis fan?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by blackxacto, Feb 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blackxacto

blackxacto BoomerBoyXL500 Thread Starter

I am blown away by the 1994 soundtrack to “Bladerunner”. Do any of his other albums match the atmospheric sounds like in Bladerunner”? This soundtrack is incredibly soothing and was hoping to find more like it. Some of his work is harsh, so if a fan would point the way, thanks for any help.

2. PrunelliParis

PrunelliParis Forum Resident

Quite interested in this question (and answers) here !

3. warp2600

warp2600 Forum Addict

A fan here.

For soothing, atmospheric sounds try his Academy Award winning soundtrack Chariots of Fire.
    Also recommended in this respect: Opera Sauvage, Soil Festivities.
    Honorable mention: 1492 - Conquest of Paradise; Invisible Connections

Carlox and Front 242 Addict like this.
  4. Donal

Donal Forum Resident

I enjoy his music. Fan? Probably.

Jarleboy and Carlox like this.
  5. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

As previously suggested, also try Chariots of Fire and 1492.

Folknik, Carlox and Front 242 Addict like this.
  6. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

I'm a big Vangelis fan, and his body of work is quite big and diverse, but for a start (if you're no going to collect all his music), his compilation "Themes" is just excellent (and still in print and cheap). It's very soothing overall, it gives you excepts from different albums (but also work as an album by itself, it's very well put together), and the mastering is very good.

7. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

I love his earlier stuff.

8. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I am blown away by the 1982 soundtrack to Bladerunner ;)

His other work is a bit 'meh' for me, it's ok but a bit bland and it lacks the style of Bladerunner. I think he obviously went for a particular sound on Bladerunner that suited that film, and that's what I like.

9. Thoughtships

Thoughtships Forum Resident

I love his stuff.

I highly recommend Heaven & Hell, Spiral, Themes, Voices....

There's tons of great stuff in his back catalogue....

10. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

Only with Jon!

11. telecode101

telecode101 Forum Resident

I am a big fan. He was a true originator of electronic synth music. The Bladerunner soundtrack is a work that is meant to accompany the visuals of the film. So in reality when you are listening to that soundtrack , you are only experiencing half the artistry of what he was doing there as you are missing a very integral component -- the visuals that accompany the music. His work on Antartica is also quite similar. I also feel his soundtrack to 1492 is very strong -- better than the film. You can also try to dig up the soundtrack to the 1980s version of the Bounty.

IMO, you may want to try his albums . Perhaps try "China" and "Heaven and Hell" as I feel they are some of his strongest conceptual works. He's a musician that is able to create a complete conceptual musical work using mostly electronic synthesizers. Its very different than some other synth musicians.

12. zombiemodernist

zombiemodernist Forum Resident

Spiral from 77 sounds quite a bit like Blade Runner, but it’s probably not his best work. I agree that the BR soundtrack makes most sense in the film, but the album is a great posited and to me eclipses his actual output. Most of his albums can be picked up quite cheaply, so it should be easy to come to your own conclusions.

13. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

There's a (slowly and haltingly) active album by album thread. Check it out.

14. Crimson jon

Crimson jon Forum Resident

I love blade runner soundtrack with a passion. I also like the China album it really takes you across the world in a meditative state.

15. fretlessrich

fretlessrich Forum Resident

There's an album of traditional greek laments (arranged in his style) that he recorded with Irene Papas, called Odes -- which reminds me of some of the things he did on Blade Runner, and which I think is very good. The Polydor vinyl sounds great, and it's not expensive.

16. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

I really liked his "Cosmos" music. Really disappointed :realmad: when a cable station reran the old PBS series, then cut the end credits for commercials.

DHamilton likes this.
  17. Mbe

Mbe Forum Resident

The City has an atmospheric presence similar to Blade Runner also having a narrative of sorts, a little heavy in parts of ‘Nerve Centre’
    which is followed by the smooth sublime ‘Side Streets’.

Not viewed as his best but well worth a listen – Blade Runner-esque
    The City (Vangelis album) - Wikipedia

18. DHamilton

DHamilton Forum Resident

I really enjoy Albedo 0.39. Would recommend the RCA original vinyl pressing. These seem to be pretty plentiful on the bay as well.

Front 242 Addict likes this.
  19. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

I urge you to give his newest a spin. Rosetta is his first deep-dive into producing a full-fledged space music album and he crushes it. So good.

20. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

As Mbe stated above, THE CITY should be your first listen.

[​IMG]

If you want something to listen to after Bladerunner, that is it.

Just make sure the Bladerunner you have is the 25th Trilogy.
    That way you are getting the two extra Bladerunner albums.

[​IMG]

Then try CHINA

[​IMG]

and SOIL FESTIVITIES

[​IMG]

21. California Couple

Front 242 Addict likes this.
  22. California Couple

If you want to go full mental, as in industrial ambient, then try this:

Platterpus likes this.
  23. rogsherwood

rogsherwood Forum Resident

I have not found another album in his catalog that captures the same vibe quite like BR. However, there are individual tracks across his discography...there's an excellent fan release that is not too difficult to track down: "Reflections: Music In The Key Of Bladerunner" - - Blade Runner - Reflections - Private Release - Voight-Kampff Production

If you want to go deeper on the BR soundtrack, try and find the EMS Recombination or 29th Anniversary Edition - also outstanding fan releases that are probably as close to definitive as we will get.

SuntoryTime likes this.
  24. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Also, not sure who is familiar with The Future Sound Of London but they are certainly heavily influenced by the Bladerunner soundtrack. Check out this chilled track.

25. Johnny Feathers

Johnny Feathers Forum Resident

I want to like his stuff, but I haven't found anything that scratches the itch like BR. I tried Rosetta, but wasn't as into it as I thought I'd be. Even the 3-disc version of BR didn't seem to hold up to the standard the original 1-disc version set. My appreciation for other synth music has grown over the years--I love Tangerine Dream, and like what Jean-Michel Jarre stuff I know, but I don't know if I'll get to the same point with Vangelis or not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.