Anyone Bought Commercially Released CDs That Seem to BE CD-Rs?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by clearvinylsounds, Oct 27, 2015.

1. JazzFanatic

JazzFanatic Jazz Man In Orbit

Gotta watch for new OJC jazz classics on Amazon. They are probably CDR.

clearvinylsounds likes this.
  2. clearvinylsounds

clearvinylsounds Forum Resident Thread Starter

I failed to make my point when I previously posted this comment and, as I had left it, I'm afraid it could mislead someone into thinking the Klanggalerie reissue of Legendary Pink Dots "Klein Krieg" is a CDR release. It is not. The Klanggalerie 2CD set of "Klein Kreig" consists of two regular, replicated CDs in a glossy, professionally made folio. The discs are NOT CDRs. My intended point was that, although I had knowingly bought LPD's self-released 2CDR version of this set, I happily bought Klanggalerie's 2CD reissue, at least in part because the discs are "regular" CDs released by a label (and also because Klanggalerie does a very nice job on its releases).

klockwerk likes this.
  3. Peyote Pete

Peyote Pete Active Member

LPD’s have an extensive catalog I just noticed. I remember I bought The Lovers at Tower Records in the early eighties and remember that I liked it. For some reason they stick in my head as akin to Microdisney, but that may be my imagination. I was buying so much vinyl at the time(since sold) that records would become buried in a matter of days. I remember it had a lovely cover and the loose wrap that imports generally had in those days. I’m glad that your item was rereleased. ...And I can accept CD-r’s too if that is the original and only way available. As mentioned elsewhere bands sometimes send the CD-r’s as promos and those are fine in my collection. If they are noted as such it is my choice. Poor Melba Montgomery has been terribly underrepresented and I have had to accept a CD-r of her material that is unavailable except on original vinyl. I contacted Bear Family to ask if they might have any plans to release her solo sixties material and they wrote back saying they like the idea but Universal won’t release the masters. I dislike getting more George Jones than Melba if you buy a skimpy comp of hers. The George Jones Foundation must by preventing release as history might prove she carried him rather than vice versa. Anyway thanks again!
    Pete

4. Peyote Pete

No offense to George Jones fans. I dislike 99% of album duets. My bad.

5. clearvinylsounds

And even when the Dots did their 2CDR version of "Klein Kreig," it had only previously been available as a cassette, so their lovely remastered CDR edition memorialized the music in a somewhat more durable format than it had previously been available in. I mean I like old cassettes and everything, but if I had a cassette-only release in my collection that I wanted preserved, I'd definitely digitize it and would probably burn it onto a CDR.

6. Euro grey market label Acrobat (mentioned upthead) go one step beyond by secretly putting out CD-Rs as genuine factory made discs. A bad business company on all fronts - and one to avoid.

Rock66, Dziga and melstapler like this.
  7. Peyote Pete

I
    Definitely preferable to a cassette. Unless you still have an old Nakamichi or something to play cassettes on. Now I’m really interested in hearing Klein Kreig.

8. Peyote Pete

To me Acrobat has essential stuff and cannot be avoided. That is the gripe. They essentially have you by the huevos. And in fact their CD-r’s look as professional as CD-r’s can be. They are just a notch below a silver disc issue. And now that someone said Bear Family is moving to CD-r it feels like nobody thinks there is much of a future for civilization itself.

905 and clearvinylsounds like this.
  9. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Jasmine's CD-Rs are very professional looking as well

905 and jhm like this.
  10. Peyote Pete

Yes I noticed that too. I think they are trying to imperceptibly move to CD-r’s and hope no one notices. They have a nice catalog too. They compile very nicely. So depressing.

905, slipkid and jhm like this.
  11. Progatron

Progatron Wealthy industrialist philanthropist & bicyclist

Absolutely this. I bought Third Plane (Carter/Hancock/Williams) from Amazon Canada, who made no mention anywhere that it was a CD-R. I have seen the Amazon U.S. titles where they specifically point out that the title is manufactured to order, but this was not the case here (or I never would have ordered it). Not only is it clearly a CD-R with a gaudy label stuck on it, but the insert is like a cheap Xerox copy that appears to have been cut out with scissors and stuck in the case. Absolutely awful. I complained to Amazon and got a lousy $5 credit, but what I really wanted was this title - the proper one. Oh well. I've been wary ever since.

John Porcellino and slipkid like this.
  12. Peyote Pete

I listened to Kleine Krieg and it sounded so familiar. Then it hit me, Throbbing Gristle, I was waiting to hear them say the Hamburger Lady refrain. I kept listening and it hit me again, The Television Personalities. I kept listening and I knew I had heard this band on a comp somewhere. I remembered my friend loved this compilation loss leader he got from Tower Records for $3.99 called “The Elephant Table Album a compilation of Difficult Music.” He played it all the time. On it were the Industrial sound bands. TG were bleak. On Kleine LPD add a circus ambiance to the mix and it is a strangely compelling sound. Good stuff, I like it! I know where Syd Barrett lives! Next to the Hamburger Lady at the circus. Haha

13. Peyote Pete

Hi Walter,
    I emailed Acrobat too and I do not think either of us will get a response. I don’t think they are interested in broadcasting this issue. The poster who brought up the Acrobat issue said, you have to get an older issue for a real CD. But I think Acrobat did make a clear demarcation to distinguish presses. If on the back insert the date is before 2011 you will get a silver disc. If it has a 2011 date or newer you will get a CD-r. It seems they were pioneers in selling CD-r’s. Trendsetters they were.

14. clearvinylsounds

I haven’t heard anything back from them. I guess they’re too busy burning CDRs.

15. clearvinylsounds

Good one. I believe I bought mine from Tower Records, too. It has a Nurse With Wound track on it, as well as tracks by the Legendary Pink Dots and Coil, all of which which were probably my motivations in buying that album back in the early ‘90s. I haven't touched that album in years, although it was a real find at the time.

I bought the CD of it too, and one thing I know for sure: it’s not a CDR. In fact, that was probably back when the record industry was fighting against allowing CDRs and CDR burners to be available for purchase by the general public. And if you bought a CD around that time (early ‘90s) which had been “Manufactured In The UK By PDO,” unbeknownst to you then, that fairly expensive, import CD had a very good chance of “bronzing” on the label side, while the data/sonic information slowly degraded into pure static by the 2000’s. Ahhh, the good old days.

16. clearvinylsounds

Amazon US seems to have abandoned that practice of honesty.

That Third Plane album is a good one, too. And your experience in unknowingly buying a CDR copy with inferior artwork is exactly what this thread is about: being forewarned. It looks like that particular OJC title was made available for digital download in 2015, which I would bet corresponded in time to that label’s decision to distribute CDR copies.

Progatron likes this.
  17. John Porcellino

John Porcellino Forum Resident

My guess is that at one point Amazon themselves was in the business of burning cdrs for the labels in question. That's when they included that notice in the listings. When the labels began providing the cdrs they burned to Amazon for distribution, as is the case with Jasmine, Acrobat etc, Amazon feels no need to include the warning.

wayneklein likes this.
  18. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

Uh oh:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007UQ8IRY/

July 2 - 10. But ... it's not sold by Amazon. So maybe I'll be ok. I'll report back if it is a CD-R ...

Matthew Tate likes this.
  19. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

just got my first one from Amazon today , really surprised
    no booklet just what looks like a colour copy of the cover and a link inside the download the real booklet , how cheeky .

Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. clearvinylsounds

So we know to be forewarned, what was the release? There was a link to the full booklet? Was the full booklet downloadable? Any traycard?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. Which title?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

War the seventies LA band : All Day Music
    cover photocopy verso says " go to www.war.com to download the cd booklet ( as originally released in 1993)"
    the plastic case is really cheap as well .

Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

Another one, very recently, from the same local that previously (and knowingly) stocked CD-r
    [ Anyone Bought Commercially Released CDs That Seem to BE CD-Rs? ], unmarked as such :

Sugar Loaf , Best of ..
    ℗1993, Curb Records ‎– D2-77597

[Discogs link]
    Sugarloaf - Best Of Sugarloaf

The barcode matches, but the artwork has a suspicious, slightly-blurred, photocopied look to it. I noticed that before I bought it and had initial doubts, and, sure enough, I get it home and it's a CD-r. This store knows and doesn't care that they are selling discs that are not marked as CD-r or MOD (manufactured-on-demand) but are in fact. I do not know if the labels, Collectables and Curb Records, are doing this with their titles or if the store's distributor is getting these counterfeits from some unknown, unauthorised source and distributing them unwittingly. The store certainly knows they are stocking them.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
  24. njwiv

njwiv Senior Member

Curb catalog seems to be largely CD-R.

Crimson Witch likes this.
  25. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

Amazon sent me two last week, both have been returned and refunded:

Freddie Hubbard - Straight Life

Living Stereo SACD Hybrid - Schubert Symphonies 8 and 9.

At no point did Amazon indicate they were CDRs, though had I read the user reviews I would have known that (I usually do not read reviews for music I already know and like)