DCC Archive Anyone buy the Grateful Dead DVD-A discs?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SteveSDCA, Dec 4, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SteveSDCA

SteveSDCA Senior Member Thread Starter

Workingman's Dead and American Beauty are out on DVD-A now. Has anyone heard them? Not to mention Foreigner's 4 is out too.

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

I'm at LEAST going to buy Workingmans, maybe American Beauty (American Reality - look close into the cover) later.

Good. I wanted a reason not to get the box. :D

3. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Forum Hall Of Fame

Hi,

Did ya see articles from Mickey describing what he wanted to accomplish w/ this project?
    He said that they were being done from his stage perspective and would give the listener a view (or maybe I should say ear) from the drums. Pretty unique.

Sckott, as far as the box goes, it rocks. I strongly recommend it. The early stuff has never sounded so good, except for the MFSL lp release of Beauty.

Let It Rock,
    Jeffrey

4. christopher

christopher Forum Neurotic

i have both of these titles and i'm working my way through the various mixes available on each disc.

so far, i've played back the analog 6-channel and 2-channel mixes and they sound simply amazing. it's been a long time since i've heard these titles on vinyl, so its tough to compare the two, but it's fair to say they are remixed.

recently, i discovered how to playback the DD (or DTS, for that matter) soundtrack portion of a DVD-A disc. i haven't yet played those back.

later, chris

5. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

I have both titles the remixes are done very well and they unearth a lot that was buried on the original release. I very much like the surround mixes. American Beauty is the better of the two.

6. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Forum Hall Of Fame

Hi Chris & TommyTunes,

Have ya noticed substantial differences between the DVD-A and the original releases as far as material goes? Mickey took a lot of liberties w/ the DVD's and broke out other takes from the vault. Lotsa changes. What have ya heard?

The Music Never Stops,
    Jeffrey

7. Dan

Dan Senior Member

A little off-topic. I haerd the Foreigner "4" disc. Very impressive. Shows you how well Mutt Lange recorded that album.

8. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Just bought "American Beauty" per TT reccomendation. Donno why I couldn't find "Workingmans" anywhere. Has anyone seen those DVDas below $18.74? J/C. Thanks!

9. Unknown

Unknown Guest

Has anyone seen those DVDas below $18.74?
    --------------------------------------------

That's about as cheap as you're gonna find them. I bought them both for $17.48 each, but that was pre-order pricing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.