Anyone else finding just a few too many old DVDs just don't work any more?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by 93curr, Apr 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

I have OPPO 103 & 203 and a Samsung 4K.

2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Looks like I’ll have to get another 3D player ( current BD500 Panasonic) assuming the firmware upgrade doesn’t work. Not just BD discs but also DVDS, occasional problem.

3. Sounds like a hardware issue.

alexpop likes this.
  4. alexpop

Strange dvds ? Maybe not just firmware after all.

5. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

Hardware is the player. The DVDs are software.

audiomixer likes this.
  6. alexpop

Firmware comes with the hardware, player.. not applicable with dvds, just bd discs. Though a faulty player affects both format discs.

7. 93curr

93curr Senior Member Thread Starter

Found another one: 'Venture Bros. Season 3' BluRay. Three of the episodes near the middle of the disc won't play at all. This is just getting more and more depressing. Does any company other than Criterion offer replacement for discs that fail over time?

8. WB is pretty good about replacements if they have available inventory. I believe Disney will replace any disc you've purchased for a nominal fee.

93curr likes this.
  9. mouth 420

mouth 420 Member

today my superbad dvd decide to crap out mid movie i watched it get all fuzzy with the picture then boom wont work at all now, tried xbox one, 3 other dvd players as well. also police academy 20th anniversary dvd did the same thing as well stop halfway thru tho that one will read and play up to that point that is it

Michael likes this.
  10. mouth 420

mouth 420 Member

i know universal did i had them replace blues brothers and the frightners for me

11. mouth 420

mouth 420 Member

and i purchased for your consideration brand new from amazon it wouldnt even play at all wb dvd none the less i heard they are the worst for dying on you

12. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

How are all of these discs failing? Just bad manufacturing?

13. 93curr

That's the working theory.

14. mouth 420

mouth 420 Member

picked up the police academy box set thingy the newer one it works fine for anyone looking :)

15. Manufacturers were pumping out millions of units at DVD's peak, probably over official capacity. Quality control would often slip to meet release dates.

The Pinhead likes this.
  16. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

I've got a DVD that's cracked almost right down the middle, yet plays without issue.

thgord likes this.
  17. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I've had a dozen BDs that will not load...I believe it's the player...

18. mouth 420

mouth 420 Member

i have quite a few players i really dont think its the player i think the disc just dies on you, my hall pass has a crack around the center of the disc i was scarred it wouldnt play but it did. it seem everytime i wanna watch a film with the lady i find more n more bad one, i hope shes not bad luck :-!

19. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

LOL. I hope not!
    for many years I never had a bad BD...this sucks! bad ones abound...

20. mouth 420

mouth 420 Member

yeah i dont know if its bad printing or a shelf life maybe not being played for over 5-7 years who knows its a mystery which we wish we had a answer too

21. supermd

supermd Senior Member

You seem to have had so many DVDs/blu-rays not play or load, I'm thinking it must be a hardware issue. Have you updated your firmware on your current blu-ray player? With as many instances as you have posted on this thread thus far, it MUST be a hardware issue, sorry to say.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
  22. 93curr

Yeah, firmware's up to date. And these are discs that won't play on multiple players and on computers. (and, of course, they all played perfectly fine when I first got them)

Maybe it's just that I play the discs more often than many people do? I may have the same number of defective discs as anyone else with the same size collection, but if they're not being checked regularly, it stays hidden.

Veni Vidi Vici likes this.
  23. Veni Vidi Vici

Veni Vidi Vici Forum Resident

He says they don't work in multiple players. So maybe it's a storage issue.

24. 93curr

Not unless there's a hidden environmental situation of which I'm not aware. I'm pretty obsessive about making sure everything (discs, covers, booklets, Amaray cases) remains in mint condition. (movies, CDs, LPs, books...) No fingerprints, nothing stored too tightly, nothing stacked, discs in cases with the label right-side-up, nothing ever lent out to anyone.

bmasters9 likes this.
  25. Veni Vidi Vici

Veni Vidi Vici Forum Resident

What about the environment your playback equipment is in? Humidity, dust, etc?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.