Anyone else finding just a few too many old DVDs just don't work any more?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by 93curr, Apr 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Collector Man

Collector Man Well-Known Member

What I found with DVDs was if people keep removing a disc off a tight socket in a package's tray -by yanking it - flexing and twisting the disc edges -they are asking for trouble down the line. Instead of , in that situation - laying the case flat on a table, pressing very hard on the tight socket to release the disc. One example I saw, a person had a perfectly good DVD that played. Next time they played it, they complained how it was just jumping from say Chapter 2 straight to (i.e) Chapter 14. No doubt they had warped what was, the internal laminated disc.
    In the case of Blu Ray players if used , how many people keep abreast of 'manufacturers' progressive upgrades' available for some of these machines....via the Web.

With CDs at the start, back around 1983 - besides a very few then known manufacturing faults -the same 'jump-jump ' problem was then quite prevalent around....even if some disc's surface was visually perfect. Something I personally concluded, could in many cases be put down to the same 'wenching the CD' out of a CD tight socket of its case tray - through sheer ignorance . After all when CD was coming the public was told it was not just music forever...but one 'could cut the CD surface with a knife or smear butter & jam on it and it would still play????!!
    Even though I was buying loads of CDs back then , I was never getting the problem. Any disc I play from that era.....plays.
    With at least 7000 commerical CDs , a couple of thousand DVDs and Blurays I own .... I do not have any form of "won't play -or 'rot problem'.
    Touching the surfaces of Cds, Dvds, and Blu- rays -just like vinyl records before them - is still a BIG no-no. The slighest skin-oil impression left on the surface can over time turn into its own 'contaminent acid attack' on these discs.

So some disc won't play...the surfaces looks perfect & umarked : check then under a quartz - halogen light. Every finger touch left seemingly invisibly left behind , every slight dull 'cloudy smudge', every hair line scratch or abrasion ...all , will quickly be apparent to the naked eye.

What's more , I never have allowed video rental discs to be used in my DVD-BluRay machines. One look at the state of so many of them (rated scratched to trashed) - you know the error correction mechanisms would be working overtime in your machines ,

beccabear67 and Grand_Ennui like this.
  2. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

DVD's that are from 8-10 years ago are old ?

I guess things are relative.

My oldest and first DVD was 'A Hard Days Night' on MPI. I think it was 1999 (oops, 1997) ? It still looks and plays perfectly. Never found my cd's go bad, nor a cdr/dvd-r and mine are ~29 and ~15 years old respectively.

Sorry for your misfortune. :(

3. 93curr

93curr Senior Member Thread Starter

'Arrested Development' season 3, disc 1 (IFPI G000 - looks exactly like the V Mars s2 discs)

4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

you can clean the gooo with 91% isopropyl alcohol. I have many DVD that were plagued by this!

5. 93curr

No, there's no goo on the disc - the surface itself looks pristene. It's the IFPI code (which is pressed in extremely small type) that identifies the plant that appears to read "G-zero-zero-zero." I know that's not a real plant code, but it's as close as I can get to a letter-three digit #.

6. Michael

OK, but if you ever have that problem you can use it!:)

7. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I know it's now 2 years later, and that's exactly why I'm bumping this thread.
    I personally have never experienced this problem, and I have literally hundreds of DVDs at this time, and was just pricing the Leave It To Beaver complete box.

When I Google DVD rot, this thread is the main result I got.
    Has anyone else had a problem since 2013 ?
    Has this somehow been rectified ?
    Thanks in advance.

8. 93curr

Damn. Just pulled out the Pet Shop Boys' 'Cubism' (Rhino) and it won't play at all. Not in the BD player and not on the computer. Just dead. Wasn't that long ago I watched it (a year ago, maybe?) and it was fine then, Came out in 2007, which is much later than the other discs that stopped playing.

IFPI L 906

9. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

One year later, still hasn't reared it's head here.

10. wendigo

wendigo New Member

Found this thread via Google search "the apostle dvd won't play" because mine died too. ISBN: 0-783-2742-6; UPC: 02519-20321-27 1998 widescreen collector's edition, pretty clearly a dual layer (gold colored). I bought it used quite a while back and watched it once at that point, and it's sat vertically on the shelf (like a book) since then. No real scratches, no hub cracks, or anything odd looking anywhere on the disk. Won't play in my Toshiba player (endless loop of head searching sounds), and my PC DVD drive eventually gives up and won't recognize it. Deader than vaudeville.

I've had success in the past getting DVDs replaced, my copy of "Battlefield Earth" (don't laugh, I like it) which I also bought used was DOA, and WB sent me a new one for free after I complained. I'll give that route a go with this one.

11. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

My copy of The Apostle died too.

audiomixer likes this.
  12. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

I would just play a disc when your in the mood,if it doesn't play on any player. Put it in a " to trade pile "and move on. If it's essential ..lookout for a new copy at a later date.

13. alexpop

With all these reports I might just drink the alcohol instead. :sigh:

greenscreened, audiomixer and Michael like this.
  14. Commander Lucius Emery

Commander Lucius Emery Forum Resident

I have been having problems with season 1 and 2 of the "Alias" tv show, which I bought while Season 3 was being broadcast (I didn't watch it initially). I say the heck with it and bought new seasons, at least they work.

15. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

I feel pretty fortunate when it comes to my dvd's and blu ray's. I can only remember two dvd's and one blu ray that were defective in the last 15 years . I returned them and exchanged them for another. I have not experienced a dvd working fine, and then several years later stop working.

16. GLENN

GLENN Forum Resident

They had some briefly at the 7-11 I used to frequent in Tampa. This would have been around 2003, give or take a year. I never tried them and wasn't too keen on the idea anyway. Just more junk for the landfills.

17. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Senior Member

Had one DVD go bad so far Lady in White by Elite Entertainment. I played it only couple of times now my player says no data on disc, computer drive
    says the same, strange! Visually the disc looks brand new.

18. Michael

LOL...but, it does work....cleaning them that is. I also love the extra layer of protection on blu-rays which a dry soft cloth works fine.

alexpop likes this.
  19. alexpop

My DVD rental shop is closing down so I bought about 10 dvd titles ( didn't bother with Bd)that's three shops gone now there is no used shops anymore for movies. Online is thee attraction it seems, bah!

20. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

The Simpsons Movie and Crank 2 have never worked on a blu-ray player I've owned.

21. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Reality TV.

Michael likes this.
  22. Michael

I can dig it...

23. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I'm glad I've never had this happen to me on either DVD or CD. It has happened more than once on someone else's CD-R though.

I have the 4 DVD Match Game ('70s game show) set and there was a flaw on one disc, so we wrote the company even though it was a couple years old by the time I bought one second-hand, and they mailed us a new copy of that one disc and it works fine! The one with the early '60s pilot on it.

alexpop likes this.
  24. alexpop

Is this just region 1 Dvds ?

25. alexpop

Thrift store finds?
    Donnie Darko.
    There always seems to be a DVD copy every thrift store I visit of this film.

Dave S likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.