Anyone Else Frustrated by Library CDs?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by nbakid2000, Jul 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge Thread Starter

Occasionally I go to the library and bring home a stack of like 50 CDs to listen to.

More times than not, they won't work right. Most have the "ring" around the outside which makes it impossible for the laser to read correctly. Most of them have nicks, black marks, scratches and pock marks.

In this day and age you'd think that people would just take it home, rip it, and put it back into the case. Apparently not?

Anyway, I'm still getting library CDs but it's not like I expect them to work properly when I do. :sigh:

It's seriously getting to the point where if I want something I haven't heard yet, I'll just stream it instead of dealing with the hassle of CDs that the general public has had their paws on.

2. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Exactly what I thought when I read the subject line...why bother ?

Public libraries are the equivalent of public toilets, but at least I don't "borrow" anything from the toilet. :laugh:

3. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

not sure ripping library titles is ultimately kosher...maybe the labels send interns to destroy them all so people dont illegally copy them...

4. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

IMO, anybody who rips library CD's is stealing.

5. cungar

cungar Forum Resident

File this under "Why aren't free things perfect?"

6. nbakid2000

Where did I state that I was ripping the CDs? I'd like the quote, please.

7. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

I didn't state that you were. I said that those that take them to rip them are. Sorry for the confusion.

8. ivan_wemple

ivan_wemple Senior Member

I've never understood the degree to which CDs get so beat to s***.

You open the case, insert the disc into the player, listen to it, and then remove it and place back in the case when you're finished. How hard is that? Sheesh.

9. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Do you rip them too?

10. nbakid2000

No problem.

11. MusicIsLove

MusicIsLove formerly CSNY~MusicIsLove

I think it comes with the territory. CDs from the library get a lot of mileage on them. Some libraries still have vinyl that could be checked out. Imagine what those must look and sound like. :help:

12. nbakid2000

Ah, yes, the Hoffman board seeing red when someone dares to bring home free music instead of paying for it, even though their tax dollars did pay for it. Figures.

To answer your question, I own over 2,000 discs that were purchased, so yes, I pay for $#*+ all the time.

I also paid a band for an EP that they were giving out for free the other day.

13. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

To quote the Blues Brothers: What do you want for nothing?

14. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Well...I actually edited the question to do you rip the CD's you bring home from the library. So, do you?

BTW...it's not exactly "free" music. You understand that right?

15. nbakid2000

No, because they're all beat to hell. It's impossible to rip them.

16. nbakid2000

If you looked at my above post, I just stated my tax dollars paid for them.

17. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

Your library allows 50 CD's out???? Yikes. Mine is like seven max. :)

My library adds the ring, but that alone doesn't seem to cause issues. It's more likely the damage to the underside from too many people who treated them like rental cars over months or years.

And you mentioned, if you use the library for sampling, streaming is probably just as good now with instant gratification and no scratches to deal with. But one pro to a libary is that you might find some CD's that Spotify wouldn't have - when I'm there with my kids I might grab a blind loaner just for the heck of it. I've actually found a few artists that way that I ended up liking.

As for the ripping replies, I'm specifically avoiding that as it shouldn't be relevant. I'm going to assume that, for this thread, the library is just used for sampling CD's and nothing more.

The library isn't exactly free anymore than paved streets or your local park is free. It's actually one of the reasons I make it a point to use my library frequently - my taxes pay for its existence. My kids are all book readers (thank goodness) so usually I go there for them and then I peruse for myself as well. I also love the DVD section for History Channel-eque stuff that doesn't show up on Netflix. And my library, for some bizarre reason, has a ton of Dr Who videos - definitely more than Netflix.

18. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

:biglaugh:

19. nbakid2000

By the ring, are you talking this? It's a scuff ring along the outside edge that you can see (white line in the pic, looks like a shooting star or comet with a tail).

[​IMG]

20. Thurenity

I thought you meant a the label that a library adds to add the barcode. My libarary actually uses a ring just outside the spindle hole for that. You're talking about something else -- my bad.

21. MusicIsLove

MusicIsLove formerly CSNY~MusicIsLove

One of the biggest advantages is being able to compare original CDs to different remasters before buying. I can also pretty much listen to any box set (in or OOP) I want before buying. I can also listen to various audiophile CDs (DCC/Audio Fidelity/Mobile Fidelity CDs + HDCDs/SACDs and even DVD-A's to decide if I want them. Libraries are great!

22. Thurenity

Excellent point! I've actually done that, on occasion. Also for vinyl where I want to compare my needle drop to an actual CD copy.

23. jeffsab

jeffsab Forum Resident

My library has an excellent CD selection and you can check out as many as you want. Some older ones are in poor condition, but I'm not complaining. The other day I checked out the Beatles mono box and a couple jazz sacd's.

24. zen

zen Senior Member

You'd think it would be easy, but clearly, gorillas have library cards too.

25. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

The way around this problem is to put holds on CD's that are on-order. This virtually guarantees that they will be brand new, or at least very clean once you check them out. I do this via my library web site using the call number search: on-order. Also works for new release movies and, if you're into that sort of thing, books. Personally I think the library is awesome and use it as often as I can.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.