Anyone Else Having A Problem Getting New Releases From Amazon?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Fannymac, Aug 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fannymac

Fannymac Forum Resident Thread Starter

The main reason I have Amazon Prime is to get new releases on the day of release. However, this has not been the case for roughly 2/3's of the new releases I've gotten this year....most have shown up anywhere from a day to three days later!
    August, however, is shaping up to take it to a whole other level:

Cherie Currie & Brie Darling - 5 days after release
    Jesse Dayton - 13 days after release
    Rodney Crowell - day of release
    The Rails - six days after release
    Sheryl Crow - no delivery date at this point

I know most of these can be ordered from the artist direct, but then you're paying more (even though they're making more!), plus you have shipping on top of that.

I know Amazon has made it very tough on smaller labels in the last six months or so, but this is ridiculous! Amazon has just gotten too big for their britches....instead of selling groceries and making movies, they need to remember what got them where they are today, and REALLY think about customer service!
    Any other sources out there for new releases besides Amazon and CD Universe, who I think are way overpriced?

2. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

Seems as likely as anything that the source of the problem is some disorder on the part of the artist's label -- perhaps they've encountered delays in manufacturing, perhaps they haven't dotted their i's and crossed their t's to get their item into the amazon distribution system. Amazon is only one link in the chain from the studio to your doorstep -- and not, to my mind, the most likely link to fail. YMMV, of course. RH

zphage and cdnostalgia like this.
  3. Frightwig

Frightwig Forum Resident

Amazon Australia is routinely out of stock - for months - on new releases. And Australians are geoblocked from ordering from all other Amazon shopfronts except, until recently, Amazon US. Ridiculous.

4. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Most of my pre-orders arrive on release day. This is providing you order them at least a week before this.

What does mess Amazon up is if you order a new release the day before it comes out.. Generally then they’ll make you wait at least three days before dispatching. Even though I have Amazon Prime! This is especially odd as on release day the album will say ‘delivery by tomorrow’, though mine has been delayed. I’ve tried cancelling the pre-release and ordering the one now in stock and it won’t let me as it says my copy is ‘preparing to dispatch’. Even though it’s not set to arrive for three more days.:D

5. Fannymac

That might be the case if it was one label, but we're talking over half a dozen different ones!
    As I stated, Amazon has made the ordering process much harder for smaller labels in the last six months, but that benefits no one....the consumer, the artist, the label....or Amazon!

6. theshape

theshape Forum Resident

I've been ordering a lot of my music from ImportCDs and Walmart's site. Along with shopping locally. I still occasionally, and I do mean occasionally, order from Amazon. After some incidents with Amazon last year, I dropped their prime service and moved on for the most part.

I'm certainly not under any delusion that I'm hurting their business. That was never the goal. The goal was piece of mind after their nonsense. Mission accomplished.

Anyway, sorry to ramble... I've had pretty good service with ImportCDs and Walmart. :righton:

MikeManaic61 and Fannymac like this.
  7. Fannymac

That has happened with Amazon US once or twice this year as well.....you have a release date advertised for weeks, then the day of the release, it says "Temporarily Out Of Stock." The next day it will say "Ships in 1 to two months!"
    (It's usually turned out to be sooner).

Frightwig and DRM like this.
  8. Fannymac

All albums have been pre-ordered at least a week to 10 days in advance of the street date!

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  9. Etienne Hanratty

Etienne Hanratty Forum Resident

Quite often, I’ll attempt to preorder an album due out on the Friday and be offered delivery on the Monday. There used to be an HMV on my way hone from work so I could bypass the problem by getting them in person but it’s closed now and going into the nearest city’s too much of a commitment so I have to suck it up.

Weirdly, I can still convince myself I need a particular album after a night on the tiles, impulsively order it and have it before any associated hangover has lifted. Although it probably won’t be autorip eligible anymore.

10. After the geoblock Amazon imposed on Australia I was forced to use alternate retailers for the stuff I used to buy from Amazon.
    There is no such thing as a single cheapest retailer so everything takes a bit of research and sometimes ordering in groups of 3-4 titles to make postage more economic.
    Among the retailers I have used a lot with no issues are Importscd,JPC,Rough Trade and Burning Shed.
    I will never buy anything from Amazon again until they totally remove the geoblock.

11. BeSteVenn

BeSteVenn FOMO Resident

I often order the day an upcoming release is announced and/or first made available for preorder. When I order from amazon US, new releases rarely arrive on day of release. When I order from amazon UK, new releases usually don't even ship until several days after day of release. (We are in the US, located in a state with an amazon warehouse.)

I also have had amazon cancel pre-ordered items on the day of release without explanation. This is often followed by a price rise, so if I place a new new order, the price is higher than the price I had originally locked in at.

It's all very frustrating as my wife and I are amazon prime members. We are in fact paying for better service which we are in reality not getting.

Fannymac likes this.
  12. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Remember, Prime does not always guarantee next day delivery (or on day of release delivery) unless stated - at least that's the case here in the UK.

I have pre-ordered albums recently that advise they will be delivered in day of release and others that just advise delivery at no extra cost, which means I expect them to arrive anytime between the Saturday and Tuesday after release day.....all of these are Prime items.

I figure I'm still going to receive it and hear it... so whats the rush?

Eric_Generic likes this.
  13. Fannymac

Wow....at least I've never had that "pre-order cancelled" issue happen to me!
    But that's exactly how I feel about my Prime membership...paying for something I'm not getting!

BeSteVenn likes this.
  14. Fannymac

I've had my Prime membership for over ten years, and until this year I could count the number of times I didn't get a new release on the day of release on one hand....and still have fingers left over!

15. DrStroganoff

DrStroganoff Forum Resident

I've always used Amazon UK for all pre-orders, but I've been completely put off after a few hiccups last month...

I pre-ordered an LP, then a fortnight later the wife notices the payment had been processed (still 2 weeks before release date).
    I then received an email from Amazon saying this was in error. When I queried this with Amazon they said it was not an error, and that they have now changed their policies to charge for pre-orders at time of ordering (rather than at time of dispatch).
    A couple of days ago I was looking at a pre-order item, and noticed the page said, 'Your card will be billed at time of dispatch'. Queried with Amazon, "Have you changed your policies again?". No reply.

Anyone else have issues with pre-order billing ? (apologies if this is slightly OT)

Fannymac likes this.
  16. Fannymac

Nope....all my billing has been on the day of release!

Jrr and DrStroganoff like this.
  17. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

This was brought up recently.
    I've noticed this with items manufactured in Europe.
    They usually arrive a few weeks later.
    [​IMG]

18. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

I have been having problems with packages that are being delivered by Amazon Logistics. They will be a street or two away from me, then next thing I know they are several miles away. Same thing happens the next day, and if I am lucky I get my package 3 days later than promised.

19. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

Echo In The Canyon soundtrack. Received 14 days after release date.

PhantomStranger and Fannymac like this.
  20. richierichie

richierichie My glass is always full.

I had this with Amazon, in fact I was charged over £500 up front for preorders I had lined up when they introduced this policy, yes I buy lots of music from Amazon this is now changing. In fact at the time I was changing credit cards and was charged on both cards for the same item three times. Luckily when I preorder something I put the money aside at the time of doing so and was not caught short of funds.The double charges got sorted, they even refunded me twice for the same item. Did I tell them? Did I b@ll@cks! They pissed me around too much. They now seem to have reverted back to charging when the item is dispatched.

My latest thing with Amazon: I ordered the 5LP Back To The Garden Woodstock box set and the Woodstock 3 - 3LP set. They both arrived today, Woodstock 3 without an LP mailer and the 5LP box without it's customised packaging (I know because I already have this, the 2nd box was for a friend). They were both placed in a larger box without any packing to stop them rattling about in the big box. Well it's certainly cost Amazon, I've returned both, due to the fact the box set had a very severe ding to one corner as did Woodstock 3. So they've incurred shipping costs and a loss of £164 for the box set & 3LP set. Plus £5 compensation for me when I complained.

As for Prime, you can preorder an album and be informed it will be delivered on the day of release only to be informed at a later date that you will get it 5 days after release day. Of course the opposite happens also.

I now try to buy elsewhere but with the amount of stuff I buy I do have to go for the cheapest option. However I do buy from the artists site where possible, drawing a line at The Beatles and similar. They have enough money.

21. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

Bull Moose is great for ordering online. Often cheaper than Amazon and preorders are typically delivered on release day.

22. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

I keep Amazon Prime because they actually deliver things to me on Sundays. I haven't had any problems this year getting what I want. Then again, I rarely pre-order anything.

23. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I've already described in excruciating detail the crap I went through from Amazon policies, and tone-deaf Customer Service regarding one pre-order experience. Suffice to say, a week before release date, I get an e-mail specifically stating the actual release date had changed, and I would be getting it a week later. No amount of complaining could get them to change that, and even though I got two assistants over an hour's chat (passed-off to nine different assistants!) to admit my date was correct and theirs was a mistake, it still took not only catching one of them offering me a $5 bribe to "settle" it, I ended up taking a $10 bribe instead from the "supervisor"...which never actually showed up as a discount on my next order, as promised!

This is not Congressional-Hearing-level malfeasance worth running all the way to the Supreme Court with (unless you carefully document and a sufficient number of similar instances and ready them for testifying and only if the Chairman of the appropriate committee is running that year, I suppose)...but I really hope sharing people's experiences on the net leads to more of us finding options that make Amazon look as bad as they are with these policies.

Eric_Generic and Fannymac like this.
  24. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

I pre-ordered three of the four McCartney reissues that were released in July. Two showed up in the two days following their release, and the third didn't show up until three days later. It's not a big enough delay for me to complain about, but considering I have Prime I thought all three would show up on the day of release. (And I pre-ordered far in advance - the day they were announced.)

25. Fannymac

Bull Moose is here in the States?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.