Anyone Else Having A Problem Getting New Releases From Amazon?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Fannymac, Aug 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fannymac

Fannymac Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've also experienced the $10.00 promise that never materialized!

Eric_Generic likes this.
  2. aperfecttool

aperfecttool Ænimic \m/

Fannymac likes this.
  3. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

Correct.

Bull Moose

Fannymac likes this.
  4. aperfecttool

aperfecttool Ænimic \m/

Bull Moose is by far one of my favorite online stores, highly recommended.

5. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

I don't know about new releases or pre-orders but I have found Barnes and Noble to be pretty quick when I order vinyl.
    And the $25 membership has free shipping as well as frequent coupons.

Fannymac likes this.
  6. thetman

thetman Forum Resident

same here, somtimes they show up very early- some not until almost 8:00 at night. all over the map. I noticed lately if I place order with multiple items it is delivered at different days or sometimes two amazon deliveries in one day by two different drivers.

7. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Now I have some missing packages that the Post Office said they delivered. The bad luck continues...

Matthew Tate likes this.
  8. thetman

thetman Forum Resident

yup, had that happened before when delivered to work, Or they say undeliverable and don't show up at all because they can't find the building.
    few weeks ago at my house they left about $150 worth of vinyl sitting at the end my driveway ( which is about 500ft long). Of course it was stolen since it was left right near the road. how do I know? the driver took a picture of it and I saw it in my orders saying "delivered". Only helped my case when I called to complain. mind boggling sometimes

Dave and Matthew Tate like this.
  9. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

That is lazy! I had someone leave a package in front of my garage door, and I thought that was last, but at least it wasn't right by the street.

Apparently the only qualification for this job is a car. :shrug:

Dave and Matthew Tate like this.
  10. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I have experienced the same. I get emails from Music Direct and Soundstage, then I simply order titles I want from Amazon which is usually a week to two months before the album comes out. It always arrives on release day, and a couple showed up a day early. Kinda feel bad for the other two merchants but shipping is free with Prime, and returns (and ordering) is simply far easier over all. I am amazed people hassle with the other sellers that make you pay return shipping for defective product. I agree it isn’t fair, but when a huge competitor takes returns for free, it’s hard to justify paying a shipping return fee when it isn’t your fault it’s defective.

Fannymac and Bobby Morrow like this.
  11. rjp

rjp Senior Member

my last order from amazon was jesse colin young's new album 'dreamers'

ordered it the day it was available and got a message a couple days later saying it ships in 1 - 2 months. it actually took about 6 weeks to get it after the release date, no explanation, and no idea why.

i have no ordered since, however i have a few sitting in my basket for september.

Fannymac likes this.
  12. Amazon has decided immediately filling all physical media orders on new releases isn't profitable. This applies to movies as well and a trend that has arisen with almost all new releases over the past 12 months. Anyone that frequents Amazon for new music releases knows they aren't delivering them on time anymore with any regularity.

This is going to shock people but I'll speculate Amazon will be entirely out of selling physical media themselves within 2-3 years. The margins are thin and they clearly have de-prioritized media over the past 4-5 years. Now that everyone is paying for Amazon Prime, they don't need the category as a lure for well-heeled shoppers.

13. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I hope you’re wrong...they are my main supplier by far and I’ve had zero issues. I buy maybe 5 albums a month, usually new releases. Maybe the trick is preordering in plenty of time, which I typically do. Same with blurays. I only had an issue with The Force Awakens as it wasn’t available for a couple weeks after street date if memory serves. With razor thin margins on vinyl, and the fact that I generally have to return one out of three, I can see how you could be right however.

14. jason202

jason202 Forum Resident

I'm just about done with Amazon when it comes to buying vinyl. I can't remember the last time a pre-order arrived on its release date, even after it was suggested that it would.

The latest problem has been getting them to actually ship the record I've ordered instead of sending me a CD. I clearly ordered the vinyl edition, and there is clearly a CD available for a lesser price, but twice they've sent me a CD. And the third attempt which is scheduled to arrive tomorrow will probably be a CD, too. Chatting with customer service is totally useless; they're always very apologetic but it's clear that Amazon does NOT care about fixing the issue. They used to be far more willing to throw you a bone, allowing you to keep the incorrect or damaged item while they sent you a replacement, but that hasn't happened for me in years.

These are the alternatives I've been using:
    • Bull Moose
    • Plaid Room Records
    • Rough Trade US
    • Barnes and Noble

15. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

It sure seems satisfaction with Amazon is dependent on what warehouse is used to fulfill orders based on where you live. I read these posts, and there is a good one here about packing issues, and I have none of those problems. I buy for my business, but order a lot of vinyl too. I have received a couple where they threw it in a larger box, but it album was in the usual vinyl type cardboard mailer so it was well protected. I’ve read stories on here about vinyl arriving with no box at all, and a label affixed to the actual cover. I can’t imagine anyone doing that, but it’s been mentioned enough that you have to believe it happens. Sorry to hear about your issues. You’re right, they used to just let you keep the item so that’s at least something. They still do, in my case, if I do encounter an issue. I do buy a ton from them, so perhaps the volume you do with Amazon has something to do with how they rectify things. And as you said, they are exceedingly apologetic. So, for me, I feel they continue to earn my business. Every business is going to fail you at times; for me it’s all about how they rectify an issue. But that’s ridiculous that it happens so often in your case that you now expect it.

jason202 likes this.
  16. Amazon took two months to get me a new album on CD when every other retailer already had their copies. Having observed Amazon since the 1990s, they care very little these days for servicing physical media customers. If it's not streaming, they just don't care about the music industry anymore.

Amazon drove most music retailers out of business with their predatory pricing, only to abandon the category when they decided music products aren't profitable enough to keep in their warehouses.

Dave likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.