Anyone else here who'd buy Michael Jackson's History if Sony released it on SACD?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SteveSDCA, Feb 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SteveSDCA

SteveSDCA Senior Member Thread Starter

History would be a good sampler of his music. It's wierd how they released Thriller but nothing else in his catalog on SACD. Go figure.

2. sgb

sgb Senior Member

Not me.

3. Holy Zoo

Holy Zoo Gort (Retired) :-)

You know, I actually really like "Off The Wall" and "Thriller", and a couple off Bad.

So yeah, if they actually mastered it from the original analog (where appropriate), I might actually grab it.

4. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Well, I like Michael Jackson music. I'd buy it, even though I don't like some of the remixes.

5. feinstein

feinstein Member

Harmony House in Berkely, MI has LP copies of "History" which they've reduced to $8.00 per copy. I don't think that there's a market for SACDs of his stuff!!!!

6. Grant

Well, we'll see when those sales reports for the "Thriller" SACD come in. You really can't make a statement like that for a format that is so new.

Concerning those LPs, his main market is probably not really much into vinyl.

7. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

No. YUK!

8. Grant

So, what do you guys have against Michael Jackson music?

9. Holy Zoo

[moderator hat off]

Ah man... do we really have to go there? :)

Some like him, some don't. Personal taste. What's arguing about it gonna get us?

[/moderator hat off]

10. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

That's right Holy Zoo, personal taste.

11. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

I picked up History real cheap a few years ago thru the Columbia House club. Think it was less than $10 so it never sold like they thought it would.

JohnG

12. bmoura

bmoura Senior Member

For an insight as to why there haven't been further Michael Jackson SACD releases to date, check the Fox News Story on Jackson's last album at http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,30233,00.html.

In it, we hear that:
    "I am also told that Jackson has spent not only millions on the making of Invincible, but millions more on the planned re-release of his catalogue by Sony this fall. All of his albums, from Off the Wall through HIStory, were remixed for the new Sony Super Audio CD format. But Jackson, working through an engineer, went through 50 different mixes of each song from each album. “He went through them and over and over again. It’s not like they hadn’t already been remastered for CD in the first place. And it was the same engineer who did it the first time. The guy just leaks money.”

13. sgb

sgb Senior Member

I think there are space limitations that Holly Zoo's imposed, and it's not something one could specify without elaborating.

Suffice it to say that a good many, if not most, of the folks who own SACD players might have a good deal of trouble relating to the music of Michael Jackson.

I have never owned a Michael Jackson record, and wouldn't plan on buying one now.

14. SteveSDCA

That's crazy that he had every song remixed 50 times. Are the original masters to his stuff lost/destroyed? I never said he wasn't a control freak or has a out of control ego. LOL

15. martinimaster

martinimaster New Member

I would prefer Off The Wall to anything else he's done .

16. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Michael Jackson. I just don't get the reason why people would want to buy his [Epic] music anymore. It's trendy and cute, but if I bought Michael it would mean I'm soon to buy a bunch of old late-70's disco. I hate to lie to ya, I'm just not gonna. SACD's not gonna make me jump up and moonwalk.

I'll take Bob Dylan or S&G over MJ anyday.

17. martinimaster

martinimaster New Member

i think it sounds more analog ,less processed than his other albums, therefore would benefit from sacd

18. Larry Naramore

Larry Naramore Bonafied Knucklehead

...geez I'm just chompin at the bit to say this. Michael Jackson is very talented and has several songs that I enjoy. My problem is with his obsession with his dinkus. Does a lady really get fired up when he grabs his crotch 75 times during a song. When Madonna did it it sure never fired my testosterone up. I know I shouldn't take this thread in this direction so if I don't see this post in the near future I'll understand:)
    ...end of rant.

19. pigmode

pigmode Active Member

Hey, I like Michael Jackson. Did he ever get around to recording anything after Ben? :p

20. Grant

Steve, that sounds a bit snobbish. You cannot say that for a fact. I have been keeping an eye out for which Sony SACD titles sell, and they all seem to be doing well where I live.

I think you are letting your personal bias get in the way. If you don't like his music, that's fine, but many do, and they also own SACD players.

21. bmoura

bmoura Senior Member

You're right there. If you check the Top 25 Best Selling SACD Chart on CD Universe, you'll find that Michael Jackson's "Thriller" is indeed the #1 best selling SACD this week!

As for me, I'm with you. I'd vote for Multichannel/Stereo SACD reissues of a few of the Michael Jackson albums - including Thriller and Off The Wall.

22. Holy Zoo

Like me! ;)

23. In fact, I read last year in an article in the Pro Audio section of Billboard Magazine that a 5.1 surround mix of "Thriller" by engineer Mick Gazauski was completed and in the can, ready for release! It's just a matter of when Sony gets around to releasing this particular title on multichannel SACD. From what I understand, they're simply waiting for the current stereo-only SACD pressing to sell out before releasing it!:)

24. Grant

I know what I said about engineers monkeying around with the soundstage, but Michael Jackson's recordings scream out for surround antics, especially "Thriller" and "Bad".

25. SteveSDCA

when did I say I didn't like his music?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.