Anyone ever hear John Lennon's original demos of "Bad To Me" and "I'm In Love"?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jan 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

I can't believe I've gone my entire life without hearing these until today. Hearing Lennon sing "Bad To Me" when I've only heard the Billy J. Kramer version for 40 years is mind-blowing.

Karla has heard the Fourmost's "I'm In Love" and all the Billy J. stuff A LOT recently. When I was playing these, I was watching Karla's face and when it sunk in exactly WHAT she was hearing, she looked at me and said "The Beatles wrote those songs?" Heh, I told her it seems that John wrote them. Very un-John like, but this WAS 1963..

2. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

Steve,
    On what "disc" did you hear I'm in Love? I've had Bad To Me for many years, but I've never heard I'm In Love.

BTW, hows the little mensch?

3. Steve Hoffman

He's fine, thanks!

A recording engineer played us these demos in his studio on a pair of ATC 50's. I have no idea where he got them and I didn't ask.... Hearing "I'm In Love" was a blowmind for me!

4. Stateless

Stateless New Member

I believe that demo for "I'm In Love" was originally broadcast on the LOST LENNON TAPES. I also heard somewhere that it may not be a demo at all but John at the Dakota in the late '70's. "Bad To Me" is definitely a early '60's demo. Too bad it wasn't on the Anthology.

5. Steve Hoffman

Wow. Do you think he would revisit THAT song in the late 70's?

6. Stateless

Stateless New Member

I'm not sure, I just remember hearing that somewhere. I think it's in stereo so it could be the '70's I guess. Also John's piano playing was a bit more advanced. I don't know if he was playing like that in the early '60's. I could be wrong though. Anybody else know?

7. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Yep. Lost Lennon Tapes. Tons of information in that set. Enough to get lost in.

8. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

I've always heard that the Lennon piano run through/demo of I'm in Love dates from 1976 but I don't know for sure. It really is a wonderful performance. I love how he changes the lyrics on the last line of the song. 'I'm telling all my friends, I'm in love, according to my friends, I'm in love'. I can't believe Bad to Me and I'm in Love were left off Anthology I and the Lennon Anthology. Oh well, if they were included I'm sure they would of been no noised to death. Thank God for bootlegs;)

Chris

9. Stateless

Stateless New Member

10. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brother™ In Memoriam

I first heard "Bad To Me" some years ago on the "Dig It" boot LP, it was unfortunately sourced from an acetate. Never heard John's demo of "I'm In Love" which I think was one of his best songs from his early material. John was present on the Billy J. Kramer sessions when they recorded their version of "I'm In Love". Why the Beatles past on that one I'll never know, they would of done a killer version.

11. Steve Hoffman

You mean the group The Fourmost...

12. PMC7027

I guess I'm going to now have to start listening to all 221 Lost Lennon Tapes CDs until I find it!

13. Chris M

IIRC you can hear John and the Fourmost guys cutting up in the studio before one of the takes of I'm in Love.

14. Rob LoVerde

Rob LoVerde New Member

Funny, but John's voice on the Artifacts "I'm In Love" SOUNDS like he did in 1963, certainly not the seventies. A little more boyish a vocal, if you will...

15. Vivaldinization

Vivaldinization Active Member

I think Sulpy's recently concluded that it is, in fact, an early rehearsal/demo, and is not in fact a Dakota re-recording.

16. Vivaldinization

Vivaldinization Active Member

Oh, FWIW, one easy place to find I'm In Love is on the Vig0Tone "Arrive Without Aging" disc (one of the most brilliant things they put out, actually, as while the quality wasn't up to Yellow Dog's concurrent studio outtakes collections, it wasn't obselete until way after the Barrett stuff started circulating, and is still the "source" for stuff like the electric Cry Baby Cry demos).

17. Joe Koz

Hi Steve,
    I know the Fourmost covered Lennon & McCartney's "Hello Little Girl".
    Billy J. Kramer & The Dakotas covered both "Bad To Me" and "I'm In Love". Billy J.'s version was not released until 1991 when Ron Furmanek did their "Definitive Collection" disc. Ron used some of the studio chatter during the session before Billy J. and the Dakotas recorded the song. If the Fourmost did a version I'm not aware of it.

18. Steve Hoffman

19. Joe Koz

Hi Chris,
    That's on the Billy J. and the Dakotas "Definitive Collection" disc that Ron Furmanek did in 1991.

20. Joe Koz

Ok I gotcha, the version I was referring to is the one on the Billy J. collection. Maybe that's why Billy J.'s version wasn't released until Ron unearth it in '91. That was the first time I heard of the song. Somehow I missed the Fourmost's version.

21. Steve Hoffman

The first time I heard most of the Lennon/McCartney songs (other than the few cover songs that made it to the USA) it was on this ESSENTIAL British LP:

http://www.jpgr.co.uk/col_nut18.html

22. Joe Koz

Yeah, I had that record in my hands several times and I just didn't buy it! I did pick up one on the EMI's Music for Pleasure label. Same concept but slightly different songs. I think the "Song's That Lennon and McCartney Gave Away" is a better compilation than the one I have. Just one more record to find!! :p

23. PMC7027

I have that LP with both Gordon Waller's and Billy J. Kramer's autographs on the front cover!!!!

24. Chris M

So which cover of I'm in Love is best? Billy J Kramer's or the Fourmost hit version:)

25. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

The Fourmost is better than Billy Js.

Also, I believe that johns "Bad To Me" demo exists ONLY on acetate. I do not believe anyone has this from tape.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.