Anyone ever hear John Lennon's original demos of "Bad To Me" and "I'm In Love"?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jan 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

Thanks Joe!

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

"I'm In Love" runs way too fast on this Cee Dee:)...after you slow it down, it sounds fine...

3. Nobby

Nobby Senior Member

Talking of "The Fourmost"... In the Eghties I used to host a Sixties revival night with various live bands.

The Fourmost introduced "Hello Lttle Girl" as " a song written especially for them by John Lennon.

Didn't have the heart to tell about the Decca Sessions version.

4. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

I'm In Love - The Fourmost - is on EMI Music For Pleasure - Hits of 1963 - CDB 790 681 2 - EMI Swindon pressing
    I'm In Love - Billy J Kramer - is on EMI Imperial - The Best of Billy J Kramer and the Dakotas - CDP 796 055 2 - USA pressing - stereo
    I'm In Love - John Lennon (credited as summer 1963 demo) - is on bootleg - With the Beatles - SMO 83568
    Bad To Me - John Lennon (credited as April 1963 demo) - is on bootleg - Please Please Me - SHZE 117 (but no way is this anything to do with Die Beatles, despite the cover pic and number)
    Hello Little Girl - Gerry & The Pacemakers - is on EMI - The Best Of The EMI Years - CDP 799 030 2 - EMI Swindon pressing - stereo
    Hello Little Girl - The Fourmost - is on the EMI Hits of 1963 mentioned above
    Hello Little Girl - The Beatles - is on pretty well every Decca Tapes bootleg - mine is on Vigotone in 'speed corrected' mono, but there is at least one fake stereo version out there.

5. Beatlelennon65

Beatlelennon65 Active Member

Looks like I gotta take a look at Artifacts 1 and do some listening. Of course, you cant listen to just one Beatles boot. Kinda like those damn potato chips! Makes me want to pick up all 221 LLT CDs and a few more Beatles boots. As long as we are talking about what wasnt put on the Lennon Anthology, why wasnt India on it? I love that demo! There is something called Mirror, Mirror or something close to that that is wonderful as well, but it's not on any official releases. We need another Lennon Anthology!

6. JohnS

JohnS Senior Member

Another great Lennon home demo is for 'If I Fell' - actually, several takes from the same session (I believe) have surfaced. It's great to hear his solo take on a great 'Beatles harmony' showpiece - his voice as he does the almost falsetto high bits that Paul sang on the LP version has an ethereal, other-worldly quality that I don't think he matched elsewhere, enhanced somehow by the low-fi recording (if that makes sense! - I like rough sound quality when it 'works')

7. mne563

mne563 Senior Member

If it is indeed a '63 publishing demo, why can't he remember all the words?
    :confused:

Even tho Doug Sulpy has said otherwise, it always sounded like John at the Dakota to me...

8. mne563

mne563 Senior Member

Which one is India?? (Can you hum a few bars?)

9. Anthology123

Anthology123 Senior Member

I had always heard the argument for 'I'm In Love' to not be '63 because John tended to use a guitar in his early demos and not switch to piano until later. Even all the Strawberry Fields demos are on guitar. Bad to me is a guitar demo, so that makes sense. So what is the real story behind guitar/piano demos?

10. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

John & Paul composed on a piano usually.. The Beatles always tried to have a piano in their hotel suites to compose on. How do I know this? (Shameless name drop): George told me so. I think John felt he could play guitar better than piano..

11. Anthology123

Anthology123 Senior Member

Steve,

Good info! But then, how does composing on piano differ from making a demo? I suppose in most cases, if they had a portable tape recorder, doing a demo on guitar was likely because they probably took a guitar with them on most trips, but no guarantee of a piano nearby. I have to agree with you, the vocal does sound like early 60's to me, and my first conclusion was it is not a 70's demo.
    I guess what made people think otherwise is that most of the demos John did during the Beatles were on guitar, but most of his demos during his solo years are on piano. Just an observation, it doesn't mean much.

12. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Good point. Some people argue it's from 1963 and the words weren't finished yet, but why would he have recorded a demo in 63 before finishing the song? I agree it's more likely a 70s performance and he forgot the words, which was typical of him to do with his own lyrics.

13. Matt Ellers

Matt Ellers Senior Member

Love Bad To Me. Got it on the Yellow Dog Acetataes CD. Where can I hear I'm In Love?

14. Beatlelennon65

Beatlelennon65 Active Member

It's funny but the only words I can remember from India are India InDiaaa something something something.

15. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

It's on the Vigotone disc "Arrive without Aging" as well as disc one of the Artifacts box set, among other places.

16. Matt Ellers

Matt Ellers Senior Member

Thanks
    :thumbsup:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.