Anyone getting the new Alfred Hitchcock collection from WB?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by HGN2001, Sep 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member Thread Starter

Anyone getting the new Hitchcock collection from WB?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0002HOES0/

I'm rather intrigued by this set, even though there would be two movies on which I'd be double dipping, NORTH BY NORTHWEST and STRANGERS ON A TRAIN. I've wanted DIAL "M" FOR MURDER and THE WRONG MAN and those are both included along with other films I've either never seen or haven't seen in ages.

The double dip on STRANGERS ON A TRAIN wouldn't be a bad idea, since the new one is remastered into a two-disc set with lots of extras, and the film mastering to DVD is supposed to be way better than the old DVD. I was disappointed in that transfer, particularly the US side, which looks like a late-generation print with a mushy black & white picture. The British side looked better to me, but not as crisp as it could be, so I'm looking to get this new one for a favorite old film.

So really, for me, the only real dupe would be NORTH BY NORTHWEST, and even that now has an isolated music score, so it's an enhancement.

I think I'm going to look for this one.

2. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Thanks for the heads up on this. Good to see that these films are seeing the digital light. There are several here I've never seen.

Looks like the DVDs are gonna be released as singles as well according to the official site:

The Alfred Hitchcock Signature Collection

3. 22dRow

22dRow New Member

When I saw the title of the thread I thought you meant a new Robyn Hitchcock collection on WB. That would have been nice too

4. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Fixed! :)

5. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

I plan to to buy this set even though I have NBNW. The cost of buying the other titles individually far exceeds that of the box set. It's a no brainer for me even with the dupe.

6. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

Along with Suspicion, these are the only ones in this set that I've seen, as well as own on laserdisc. On DVD, I have only Strangers and Northwest. Certainly is an interesting set--I'm hoping more sets like this are released. :)

For me, it would be quadruple-dipping with Northwest. I have the MGM letterboxed LD, the Criterion LD (bought it used, and IMHO it's not that much better than the MGM), and a DVD version from about four years ago. Sadly the LDs aren't worth selling--nobody wants them! :sigh:

7. Burningfool

Burningfool Just Stay Alive

I'll probably get it, but I am disappointed that WB did not include the 3D version of Dial M For Murder.

I've never seen a couple of those films in the box but have read plenty about them, so it'll be great to finally be able to see them.

Chris

8. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member Thread Starter

Well, yeah, if you count LaserDiscs, then I would be triple-dipping on NORTHWEST and STRANGERS, since I have the later MGM version of NORTHWEST on the 12" format as well as the large-format version of STRANGERS. With both of those on DVD already, it would be mu third purchase of these, but as I said, I'm intrigued by the remastering on STRANGERS.

I also have a LaserDisc on THE WRONG MAN, and came to really like that movie. I bought it sight unseen strictly on Hitch's reputation, and even though it's different from his usual fare, I wasn't disappointed at all. In fact, I'd been meaning to revisit that disc one of these days.

It's been a bit of a LaserDisc weekend around here - we've watched BLADE RUNNER and THE COMPLEAT BEATLES.

9. -=Rudy=-

This is actually how I came to know a lot of Hitch's movies--back when Columbia House had the laserdisc club, they actually had some great prices. (Snagged the Star Wars movies as my three freebie introductory discs, and later bought box sets at half price, like both Connery Bond boxes, the Thin Man box, etc.) A lot of the discs I bought were on sale, and "The Wrong Man" was definitely one. I was hooked on it also! It is a very frustrating story, but I stick with it for the duration. (And IMHO it could only work as a black and white film.) The only thing I've read about it says that the coda of the film was something that Hitch did not agree to, but let "Hollywood" tag it on. The real-life family the film was based on never fully recovered from this.

10. b&w

b&w Forum Resident

I'll be getting it also. As stated this is the least expensive way to get all the movies in the set even if it does cause a double dip or two. Some great films in this set..

11. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

If it came with an anamorphic transfer of Vertigo, I'd gladly pay the $69.99 no matter what else it came with ;)

12. -=Rudy=-

Maybe in the next set. There are plenty of other films to have a couple more volumes. :)

13. njwiv

njwiv Senior Member

Tomorrow cannot come soon enough! I would have loved to have had these for a marathon over Labor Day Weekend.

Jay

P.S. Vertigo and most of the other American films are now controlled by Universal. The exceptions are (1) To Catch A Thief (Paramount), (2) Lifeboat (Fox -- the only American Hitchcock film still unreleased on DVD), (3) Rebecca, Spellbound, Notorious, and the Paradine Case (ABC -- originally released on DVD by Anchor Bay, then the first three were re-released by Criterion, and all four were slated for another re-release by MGM in their since-delayed Hitchcock box set, which was also to include The Lady Vanishes, The 39 Steps, Young And Innocent and Sabotage), and (4) Under Capricorn (Transatlantic -- released on DVD by Image).

14. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Thanks, Looks good!. Did anyone hear anything on the Alfred Hitchcock Presents: TV Show DVD Box set? I'm in line for that one.:thumbsup:

15. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

If it's just the anamorphic Vertigo that you want, look no further than the version 2 or 4:

http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=119

Of course, they're in PAL format so they're probably of no use to you.

16. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Thanks for the link. Actually, I do have a region free DVD player that does PAL->NTSC conversion, but I only use it as a last resort. The PAL "speed up" would be frustrating to me as well.

With recent/upcoming anamorphic releases (of formally non-anamorphic versions) of Goodfellas, Clerks, Dazed and Confused and Top Gun, I'm almost content.

Vertigo and Grosse Point Blank are the only two major releases that are favorites of mine that still are wanting in this area.

17. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

This is a set I'll buy on sight. I'm REALLY looking forward to this set, since I've only ever seen Strangers on a Train & North by Northwest. I've been really looking forward to seeing Dial M for Murder. Grace Kelly... :love:

18. rmos

rmos Forum Resident

Great news. :righton:

I'm glad I'm not the only one that noticed this. I started to watch only the British version, because the US side looked so poor to me.

19. stinsojd

stinsojd Senior Member

No "Dial M for Murder" in 3D, no purchase!

Nah, I'm totally kidding. There has to be one of those posts in this thread, don't you think?

I bought this set today at Target for $79.99. I have no idea if that is a good price or a bad price, but I truly wanted "Dial M For Murder." I love that movie. $80 for 9 movies (even if "North" is a definite double-dip) is not bad at all. Plus, they ALL come in Amaray cases - not the traditional WB "snapper" cases. That, to me, was an additional selling point. I cannot wait to dig into this set!

20. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

I bought "Strangers On A Train" today at Costco for $12.99. They had all the movies from the set separately, except "North By Northwest" and "Dial M For Murder", all $12.99.

21. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

22. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

"Mr. and Mrs. Smith", "Stage Fright", "I Confess", "The Wrong Man", "Suspicion", and, IMHO, "Dial 'M' for Murder" are second-tier Hitchcock, which, translated into everyday speak, means they are first rate by almost any other standards. In the case of "Mr. and Mrs. Smith" and "Dial 'M' for Murder", you have the mitigating factor that both Carole Lombard and Grace Kelly didn't make enough films in their abbreviated lifetimes to satisfy the world's need for more Carole Lombard and Grace Kelly. :)

"Strangers on a Train", "North by Northwest", and "Foreign Correspondent" are definitely grade A Hitchcock.

Nine Hitchcock films with no stinkers among them easily available for US$80 or less is a pretty good deal in my book.

BTW, the only Hitchcock films since he emigrated from the UK that I really don't like are "The Paradine Case", "Under Capricorn", and "Topaz", and even those have a few moments of interest/enjoyment mixed in with their deathly dullness.

Gary Tooze at dvdbeaver.com has a bunch of reviews for titles in the set with screen shots. He has a generally favorable assessment of all of the transfer/compression work.

Regards,

23. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Link trouble - never mind

Regards,

24. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

All 9 added to the 'ol Netflix queue! :)

25. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

ABSOLUTELY!!! The box set is a deal compared to buying them individually! :righton:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.