DCC Archive Anyone have a MONO copy of Gary Lewis & The Playboys Greatest Hits?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Nov 16, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Don't laugh. Anyone have the mono mixes of the hits, either on LP or.....?

For something I'm working on. I like those songs anyway. It's all Hal Blaine, Leon Russell & the Wrecking Crew playing....

Thanks gang! ;)

2. Matt

Matt New Member

Do any of their CD's use the mono versions? According to their on-line catalog, my library's got the "Legendary Masters" CD that EMI released in 1990.

3. Larry Naramore

Larry Naramore Bonafied Knucklehead

Steve I gotta admit you got more guts than me. There's no way I'd fess up to it.

4. Kevin Korom

Kevin Korom New Member

I just bought a lot of 55 LPs off E-bay that includes a reportedly near-mint copy of said LP; I don't know if it's mono or stereo yet. I'll get them hopefully next weekend and report.

Steve, are you looking to aquire a copy, or were you just curious?

5. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Careful Steve, the stereo lunatic fringe will be on your case like they are on mine!

6. Unknown

Unknown Guest

(First time poster)

I have a mono copy of the "Golden Greats" album - but its very worn (garage sale copy). :( I also have a stereo copy of the same album, which has the alternate take of "Sure Gonna Miss Her" from the "Hits Again!" album (also on Rhino's "Little Bit O' Gold" 3-Inch CD.

Honestly Gary's music isnt that bad - if you get around the inadequacies of Gary's voice. His albums have some great 60's pop. I dont care much for the 64-66 Snuff Garrett era albums, most are 3 hits and filler covers. His best two albums are ones he made in 1967 called "Listen!" and "New Directions" which have a Pet Sounds like production, some tracks are arranged and conducted by none other than Jack Nitzsche, great stuff for Soft Pop fans.

[ November 16, 2001: Message edited by: Billy G ]

7. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

Steve, I know how you feel. But there's nothing to be embarrassed about, admitting you like Gary Lewis & The Playboys. I love "Count Me In", "Everybody Loves A Clown", and "She's Just My Style". Great LA studio players on all those tracks, and great arranging by Leon Russell.

8. Sam

Sam Senior Member

Didn't they do "This Diamond Ring." I had that 45, and I also remember that song being in a Jerry Lewis film. Great song.

9. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

Sammy...right you are!!!

The Jerry Lewis film was called 'The Family Jewels', and Gary and the guys play 'this diamond Ring" an in airplane!!!

Incidentally, I met Gary around 12 years ago in Long Island. i was sitting in for another drummer in an oldies band on the same bill as him. He was the headliner. I went up to him just to shake his hand, and we ended up talking for over an hour. Hes a wonderful, nice, kind guy. Told me all kind of stories about his days on Liberty Rcords with the Playboys.

I wish he'd quit smoking tho, you can hear how raspy his voice has gotten.

Mikey

10. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Jeff, he was referring to the fact that he wants the mono mix.

I once met the producer, "Snuff Garret". Lives in Scotsdale, AZ.

11. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

Grant, I know what he said. I just commented that I like the records.

12. Pat

Pat Forum Detective

Steve H.,

Have you found a MONO Gary Lewis "Hits" lp or tape yet? I have a Gary Lewis and The Playboys Golden Greats original (old Liberty label) MONO lp LRP-3468 with deluxe gatefold cover (ahhhhh!). It would probably serve you well to use as a "reference" disc for your project.

Please email me if you might need this. :)

13. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

Speaking of different mixes of the Gary Lewis stuff, I bought a 45 copy of "Count Me In" on a Canadian reissue label that has a horrible stereo mix. Vocals panned hard left, and the instrumental track hard right with nothing in the middle!!! Are all the other songs mixed like that? If so I can understand wanting the mono mixes. Can anyone answer this one?

14. Pat

Pat Forum Detective

Jeff,

You might want to check out the Both Sides Now site as this is being currently discussed in MUCH detail!http://htmlgear.lycos.com/guest/control.guest?u=bothsidesnow&i=1001&a=view

:cool:

15. Jefhart

Jefhart Senior Member

I might have one. I am at my office now so can't check. I know I have the album, just have to check if it's mono or stereo. I'll check tonight.

Jeff

16. Jefhart

Jefhart Senior Member

I have a mono copy of "Golden Greats". It's in decent, but not great shape. Not too bad considering I've had it since it first came out back in the foggy ruins of time. Better shape than garage sale vintage, at any rate.

Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.