Anyone have a pair of AR-3a speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by spotlightkid, Feb 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spotlightkid

spotlightkid Senior Member Thread Starter

Anyone have a pair of AR-3a speakers still.when i worked in a store back in the 1970's we had a small stereo store in the back
    and i thought at the time they were amazing speakers

2. Richard Feirstein

Richard Feirstein New Member

Problem with those great speakers was the tweeter. It tended to burn out its fine connect wires at the drop of a hat. Also, the tweeters tended not to project a very extended high end. With a switch to modern drivers it should hold its own, (once the surrounds are replaced).:o

3. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek

I just came across a pair today. They were at a store that I had been recomended by a guy I met in a used record store last SAT. This guy was a collector and decied to start a store.He had hundreds of pieces of vintage and other stereo equipment. Sometime next week I can go by and see how much he wants for them if you want.

4. Richard Feirstein

Richard Feirstein New Member

Well I currently use a pair of AR-5's as my rear speakers in a 7.1 setup through my Denon 3802. The tweeter and midrange control pods (same as the 3a), went years ago and I had to wire them out of the circuit. I have been through 7 pairs of tweeters and replaced them with some aftermarket that still function. The mid range drivers are not state of the art but the new surrounds on their 10 inch woofers did restore those drivers to functionality. Now if you come across a pair of AR LST's met me know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.