Anyone have FilmStruck ?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by jjhunsecker, Aug 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

And a sign of how unpredictable streaming services can be; here today, gone tomorrow. Nothing like having a "hard copy" of your favorite movies. :D

2. Sad news. I was,just getting into it. I do find ironic that they went into a niche business and are pulling out because it’s a niche business. I realize business priorities change but I am hoping they put some of Warner Archive films on the eventual Warner channel which must be in the works.

3. Abbagold

Abbagold Working class hero

I had it for two months and then the cancellation was announced. Luckily I found Stingray Qello, which happens to be cheaper and all about music docs and concerts. So, lost the movie option but gained the music.

4. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Prime's user interface is easily the worst of the streaming services I've used, it reeks of 2007. I'd much rather Hulu or Netflix, but Bezos is the one with the $ to make this easily happen.

5. ceevert

ceevert Forum Resident

I've been a subscriber since Feb. 2017 and loved the service. I've had zero quality or buffering problems using Amazon Fire TV (full, not stick) with Spectrum "100 mbps" internet (actually 50-60 mbps but more than sufficient). I've continued buying disks as nothing about streaming has hinted about its longevity for anything but the lowest common denominator of films/entertainment. But losing Filmstruck is still a big disappointment. As was losing Z channel way back when.

6. reeler

reeler Forum Resident

BUMMER!
    was on my free promo month when the shutdown email came. Works ok on fire tv, no lock up. Took awhile to become familiar with subtitle interface though.
    It can take me up to half an hour just trying to decide on a title, there's so many good choices....don't find myself doing that on other stream apps, that says something.
    The way I read it is AT&t/warner plans to start its own stream service that will most likely be far more geared to masses (and mass profit), leaving your garden variety cinema eccentric pining.

7. mr. steak

mr. steak Forum Resident

Anybody ever use Kanopy? Found it while searching for another streamer of Paris, Texas.

It says the public library I frequent is in the subscription database. Gonna have to see if I can get it running on the Roku.

8. reeler

reeler Forum Resident

I'm pretty sure they limit the number of titles you can check out per month. Would probably still be adequate for most viewers, and free. Also wonder if all titles are HD. Worth a try if your library has it.

9. listner_matt

listner_matt Still thinks music is an inexhaustible resource

I'm a big Kanopy fan ever since I re-upped my library card a few months ago to use it. I know there's some sort of limit per month, and I've been using the service once or twice a week -- however, I often stop watching things before they finish (as I nod off to Dreamland), and I've never seen a message about hitting a title limit. :shrug:

10. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Why is it shutting down?

11. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Probably not profitable enough.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  12. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

I learned about Kanopy the other day and set up my account through my library. Works fine on my roku. I've watched some interesting documentaries so far.

I am allowed 10 videos a month. I assume that's based on my library's rules. I know on Hoopla, I also get 10 items a month. I know other people whose libraries give them 6 items or 15 items a month. So Kanopy may work the same way.

13. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Makes sense.

14. zen archer

zen archer Forum Resident

15. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

Hear, hear! Total agreement. In fact, Kanopy will be my Criterion Collection streaming service of choice until The Criterion Channel is in full mode early April.

zombiemodernist likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.