Anyone here keep track of the needle drops?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Audio73, Jan 12, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Audio73

Audio73 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Lol, I know what you mean. That's why I keep mine hidden by the turntable. Although mine do not ever get near my vinyls.

2. jfine

jfine Forum Resident

gtimer for linux

3. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

It is durable. I use one at work in place of an electronic calculator and I've been using it for months without an issue (I click it at least 50 times each shift). It seems like it would be an easy way to keep track of the number of times you've played a side of an album or a 45.

4. Micke Lindahl

Micke Lindahl Forum Resident

Pencil and notepad.

5. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

I just scratch a notch on the wall for every side, similar to what prisoners do to mark time in the slam.

plastico and uzn007 like this.
  6. psulioninks

psulioninks Forum Resident

I keep a spreadsheet of all my rips with various information such as date, the gain used, etc. for each LP recorded. I also log the actual time as it appears in xrecode II after I am done with it.

7. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

I use a calendar.

8. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I'd probably get depressed seeing that I am getting far less hours out of a styli than was expected or promised in specs.

9. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Hope it wasnt MC.

10. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

A dumb but simple question for the experienced needle droppers from a not so experienced:
    I've had my TT connected out of phase (right lead to left input etc.) for probably a year or so now, this TT has leads that are unmarked and to make a long story short I never followed up on a R to L phase check.
    The other TT is hooked up correctly and I've finally stumbled on the error.

My question is on the 60 or so recordings I've made out of phase can I swap channels in software when I finally get around to separating the tracks in the computer?

11. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

Yes.

ubiknik likes this.
  12. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Lots of confusion here because a needle drop is digitizing a record. The OP is just talking about counting how many records have been played to get an idea of how much time has been put on a cartridge.

13. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

I usually replace my carts before I need to worry about needle wear. I get tired of one kind of sound,
    (a MC cart,) and then switch to the other (a MM cart).

fortherecord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.